How to get the body off a Tomix Hakone Tozan unit

AllScales

With my level of Japanese being somewhere around non-existent, I've been having fun working out the instructions that have come with my Hakone Tozan units. About the only bit I can read is "12V"!

The Modemo unit was easy, simply prise open the sides and the chassis slides right out... Not so with the Tomix ones it would appear! Should I try harder? Or am I going about it the wrong way? The instructions are somewhat unhelpful, lacking a picture of how to do it.

I want to open the Type 3000 unit as the instructions seem to imply that you can turn off the headlights by reversing something inside. Both units (motor and trailer) have working lights at both ends.

Thanks in advance,

Friso

Friso,
I opened mine the same way you'd open the Modemo units : pull a bit on the sides with the fingernails from the underside, trying to get one side "unclipsed", then unclipse the other.
The plastic of the body is pretty much flexible.
Alas, I can't indeed find any switch for the headlights, which you sometimes find underneath the chassis.
It seems you have to reverse a piece of the black plastic headlight block ?

Thanks for the answer!

Most manufacturers are consistent in how they put them together.

I'll try harder! The type 2000 unit has a switch for the headlights on the trailer, that must be for when it's combined with another unit.

Todd is spot on, these spudgers and cell phone repair kits have a nice range of picks and prys to open models. Guitar picks are great to hole open sides while getting all the way around.

Jeff

Gordon Werner

With my level of Japanese being somewhere around non-existent, I've been having fun working out the instructions that have come with my Hakone Tozan units. About the only bit I can read is "12V"!

The Modemo unit was easy, simply prise open the sides and the chassis slides right out... Not so with the Tomix ones it would appear! Should I try harder? Or am I going about it the wrong way? The instructions are somewhat unhelpful, lacking a picture of how to do it.

I want to open the Type 3000 unit as the instructions seem to imply that you can turn off the headlights by reversing something inside. Both units (motor and trailer) have working lights at both ends.

Thanks in advance,

Friso

the google translate app for iPhone and android will translate Japanese real-time using the camera (not perfect but suffices in a pinch)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information!

I have ordered two sets of spudgers (I've used toothpicks up till now, good for HO, not so good for N) and dowloaded the Google translate app. I will see how well it works with the Tomix sleeves....

Gordon is spot on the Google translate app is great for instruction sheets and boxes. Snap a pict and run your finger over the line(s) you want translated. I can usually figure out what I need between this and the diagram!

Trains of different kind and manufacturers need different prying and poking so having a selection of spudgers and holders helps! Luckily cheap to collect a pile on ebay of different ones!

Jeff

• Like 1