Who and What is IG nippoN?

SONIC883_de

SONIC883_de

Hi,

Jeff ask me to write a small introduction of IG nippoN. But first I must say that my English isn’t very well, but I hope that you understand me.

I started with Japanese modelrailroads in mid 2004.

The german ones was too expensive and I don’t want to specialize to a country – only collect the nice once through the whole world. So I had a look for some trains. UK modeltrains sounds aweful models, US has cool trains, too but it wasn’t mine. Japan, that would be my first purchase. I was looking for a dealer which I can trust. The Online-Shop Japanmodelrailways in Kamen  hasn’t look trustfull. After some time I placed an oder there and I was surprised about the quality of the models. It was a TOMIX EF210 with 2x KOKI110 Set. Later this year I had order a Shinkansen 800 Starter-Set and the 3car expansionset – and some catalogues.

This was the time where I had said: The world is to much, I will only collect Japanese ones.

Then I was looking for readable informations. English is okay, but Japanese – on way. So I found a german  forum  in late 2005 to discuss about Japanese trains in german toungh.

After some time the wish to meet us in real life was growing and we decide to meet us in August 2006 at my home. JRMgermany was born. The members came from whole germany (Berlin, Mainz, Muehlhausen, Marl, Wolfsburg, …).

Since this time we met us two times a year at my home.

We are looking for more “local”, active  members, but we get no(t) more members. The hard core are 6 people and some guests from Switzerland  (railzilla is here active, too).

_01.jpg

Michael, Hans, Markus (http://www.spur-n.com), Waldi, Myself

Yoshi (back in Japan), Detlef (Dr. Yellow) and Christian (his son)

In 2007 I renamed JRMgermay to a more german spelling name IG nippoN  (Interessengemeinschaft/Interesst group) wer the Uppercase N stands for N-gauge.

JRMgermany isn’t dead. It should hold other devisions like niHOn, or local clubs under it. But this is future music.

In germany the modltrain hobby isn’t much popular. Sure, we have a active scene – but there are not many newcomer (kids).

In 2008 Detlef has organized our first small convention in his hometown. It was a complete temporary layout. Build-up time 2 days, disassembling and car loading took only 3 hours. That was five hard days.

=> http://picasaweb.google.com/kpernau/IGNipponAusstellungTreffurt2008

In this year we got to the European N-Scale-Convention in Stuttgart. We use Detlefs personal layout (He was asked directly if he would like to go there and he said: “Yes WE will come!”)

=> http://picasaweb.google.com/kpernau/FahrtagBadLangensalza

We would like to do more together, but the distances are to far for this. So we are planning a modular layout workshop, …

Hey Kai, nice introduction. As for myself, as a French men, I have the impression that the hobby is much more vibrant here than in France (or Paris). I really had the feeling that the situation in Berlin is far more better than the one in Paris. In the last ten years so many hobby shops closed down that there is just a handfull left. I know the situation here is not really better, lot of hobby shops are closing around the country, and I might say it's because the product are so expensive. It doesn't push anyone to get interested if you have to spend at least a hundred euro to have a running loc.

That said, I would be interested in meeting you guys. But I'm not sure I can make it to your next meeting in august. I've still a load to do here, in my new appartment. The kitchen is still not ready.

SONIC883_de

We will be glad when you will able to come. When not this meeting, then maybe the next.

Some informations for interessted people:

Essomes sur Marne (right? East of Paris) to Braunschweig was around 8-9 hours by car. Place for sleeping is no problem when you get your airbed with.  

Traditional we went fridays to a japanese restaurant (the owners are korean, I think) and build up the layout before and after that. The first people came at 16:00 and we went to bed at 02:00 in the mornig. After breakfast we start with the last electric work. Driving from 10:00 to 22:00.

Latest time to leave Sun 12:00

Meals (Sa: Breakfast, Lunch, evening meal, So: Breakfast; Softdrinks, Beer, coffee & tee all you can drink) for 10 Euros.

On the last meeting Railzilla has visit us. He came up from Zurich/CH by night train. Maybe some other Users will visit us, too.

How to find us?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=Rhoder+Stra%C3%9Fe+12,+38154+Klein+Steimke,+K%C3%B6nigslutter+am+Elm,+Germany&sll=52.320215,10.819442&sspn=0.03919,0.077162&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

I can collect you at Braunschweig or Wolfsburg Station. Better would be Koebnigslutter directly, but there is local service only and the time to wait for a train can be long :-/

Kia - A very nice introduction and history of IG nippoN. (Jeff thanks for making this request.)

From the photo, it's interesting to see a diverse group of people in the club.

I'm not surprised to see that younger people aren't into the hobby as much which is to bad because they can learn a lot from experienced modelers. (It's usually adults who are interested in model making and little children. I really haven't found a lot of teenagers who are interested in modeling but I can see why.)

Too bad I live in the USA, I look forward to photos of your next meeting.

Martijn Meerts

After I move back to the Netherlands, Königslutter will only be about 4.5 hours away by train, so I'll most likely visit at some point ;)

SONIC883_de

I had make Jeff(?) an offer that when he plan a trip to germany, that I can have a look for some train related sightseeing like Harzer Schmalspurbahn, Minitaurwunderland Hamburg, Technikmuseum Berlin, ...  That should not be a problem to do make a holiday program in northern germany for you when you would like to visit us (IG nippoN). I need only a little bit time in advance to plan.

Hey sonic883, impresive layout your club has, i can see that i have a long way to go yet for my layout to be this great,i love , maybe some day i will drop by to see it first hand , Denmark were i live is not so far away after all.

Regards

Brian

domino

I had make Jeff(?) an offer that when he plan a trip to germany, that I can have a look for some train related sightseeing like Harzer Schmalspurbahn, Minitaurwunderland Hamburg, Technikmuseum Berlin, ...  That should not be a problem to do make a holiday program in northern germany for you when you would like to visit us (IG nippoN). I need only a little bit time in advance to plan.

I think we should both start fundraisers to send each other over for club visits. Or better yet have some sort of J-train convention in Japan. Get the German club, the Texas club our new Japanese affiliate and perhaps invite the forum, and yaho groups to join us all in Tokyo or something.

Was that ironic?

But the basic Idea isn't wrong. So I have to inventions to japan from other modelrailroader (H0 and Greater, Japan isn't main theme). But it is difficult for me to go to Japan . In first grade to my wife because her health (transplantation isn't popular in Japan, so the medical care can't help her when something is going wrong), and she wouldn't let me go alone.

It must not be all activities under the banner "train/railroad".

We had found together with one common, maybe it can be a little bit more as online friendship.

That's the main problem at the most hobbies: Talking abou wrong and right in forums or mailinglists, but only some can show results. I want spent more time in real life with my hobby and my club members. So 'club visits' are IMHO a good way for that.

Maybe we get an invention to an european member to support at an exhibition... 

That sound futuritic but who knows?

That we would say with our name nippoN (for Japanese N-scale)

hmm... how to say? My personal 'goal' is to act with people to build bigger things together. That was the basic idea of the former JRMgermany now IG nippoN. But only over the internet it wasn't a society like JRM Washington. The main problem is distances between us. But we identify us with our life meetings. In near future we will start our modul-project and we want to present us at one bigger exhibition per year. IG nippoN feels like a family you go 'home' - to friends. We are all different. Some of us has more contact to one person like other. When we met us between the regular meetings, we do many things. Best example is Berlin where we visit the Technical Museum (with trains), Sea Life, Reichstag or other places.

But there is no enforcement. No 'I must ...', it is a ' I would like to do'. But there are some point the distance is bad for us: To discus about our activities. We havent a "regular table" to talk about essential things and written words makes is hard.

Gah... I hope you understand me

ill bump this back up, good info in it and they just had a meet

Kai,

sorry i missed this thread all together, but perfect as im trying to write up the ig nippon article on you guys for the jrm site!

great description with the other stuff i have i should be able to get something together for you to look at and review!

Its always great to see how other groups form and evolve. we were lucky here in dc that we are all w/in about a max 1hr drive radius of each other, so get together are easier. but i think what the distance has done for you guys is to have very intense longer sessions together. we only get that at shows and then its totally different than sitting around at home doing what ever tickles your fancy. i have envied your great temporary setup and they have inspired me to start doing some like yours at home in the basement. i have a pile of kato double viaduct and plate track that i think i can do some fun large viaduct spaghetti bowls with and have the club members over for a beer and trains evening!

jrm also resisted for a long time being a 'club' or 'society' as we did not want rules and such that come with it. but when we started to bring in money from the shows and the group started to spend the money and actually own stuff we had to rethink that some. its all tradeoffs...

so much fun to have other similar but different clubs out there to interact with!

cheers

jeff

SONIC883_de

Sorry for my long silence. Is that descriptopn okay? Please let me know if you need some additional informations or pictures

- Kai