On the move

bill937ca

A diorama mode video taken in front of JR Nagasaki.station. Lots of traffic on the move, trams arriving and departing.  In a way it kind of looks like a scene from an urban layout with Kato and Tomytec products.

Video by Kiyokichi0927.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6

Certainly different. I think it's a combination of the tight framing and the frame speed, not so fast as to be discombobulating - but enough to make it appear surreal.

Very nice videos! I like watching them!

I always wonder one thing, why are the trams always in the centre of the road? I mean, wouldn't having them on the side of the road be easier for the trams and the commuters safety? Having them in the middle means the commuters will have to cross traffic to reach them...

Very nice videos! I like watching them!

I always wonder one thing, why are the trams always in the centre of the road? I mean, wouldn't having them on the side of the road be easier for the trams and the commuters safety? Having them in the middle means the commuters will have to cross traffic to reach them...

They are also in the middle in Germany, and here in New Orleans. I assume that it has to do with the flow of traffic. If you build them on the side, it would block Taxis that pick up passengers and Trucks that need to unload their loads would stop the streetcars.

Probably because it was the traditional location of tram tracks from before the auto age.  In the case of Nagasaki this line is actually in the middle of a National Highway rather than a street.  There are locations with side of road track in the heart of the shopping district.  Videos by nekOmask55.

I think the trick is low fps, compressed time and small focus depth. Usually a video taken as a series of high resolution photos looks like this.

For the trams, the grand boulvard line built in the 19th century had the trams on the sides, but they made loading freight very hard as there was no space to park, but on the rails. Then they were moved to the center as that is the place for the fastest vehicles and during a traffic jam they are the fastest. The outer lanes became parking space or turning lanes around corners. Also the amount of pedestrian crossing to do is less if you always start or go to the middle. This is why even bus stops and bus lanes are better in the middle.

This is tilt shift lens that gives a much lower depth of field only in the center of the shot that then gives it the model look. usually in shooting scale models the foreground and background are a bit out of focus due to limited depth of field shooting close and usually not enough light to close the aperture down as much as possible. It's a total trick of the mind's eye.

The reverse of making a model shot look real is to shoot the scene at a few different focal depths and then use hyperfocal so choose which shot is in focus for each pixel and thus get the whole picture in focus thru the whole depth of the picture like you get in a real life picture taken from a distance with everything in focus.

The speed up is just taking the video at a lower fps and paying it normal or just shooting normal and in post tossing frames every how ever to get the desired speedup (usually the simpler post as not all cameras have variable frame rates.)

Putting the two together just give it the ant pile frenzied feel and even more of an impresion of tiny.

Jeff