Kato Unitrack "Flextrack"

gavino200

I found this video on YouTube. 

I've made very slight bends on my layout in a couple of places to make track line up where it otherwise wouldn't. I've just made chains of multiple 1 inch pieces. I was searching to find out just how problematic this might be when I came across this interesting technique. I might try it. Same effect with fewer joints.

Unfortunately, doing this means you can't make an authentic 'digital model' of your layout. Anyrail wont let you bend track like this. 

I think the reason why I have this issue getting track to line up perfectly, is because I try to avoid parallel lines and right angles, when possible. I'm sure I could get all the tracks to line up if I stopped doing this, but I don't want to. I like how it looks, none of my trains have trouble with it, and it doesn't seem to cause voltage drops.

BTW I just cut/pasted the youtube address. Not sure why it shoes up as an embed rather than a link. Happy to fix that, but don't know how.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
Gordon Werner

The KATO importer in Germany sells 'Kato Unitrack Flextrack', but I am wondering if this is an official KATO track (it is sold as such, however). This track does not have the ballast, however. It is quite easy to manipulate, like Fleischmann flex track. https://www.kato-unitrack.de/7078024.html

Just simple flex track like that from any other manufacturer ... to use it with Unitrack tho, you'll need at least 2 of these thingies (transition track?)

78024_2.JPG

here are the relevant pages at HobbySearch

Flex Track:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=kato+flex+track

Conversion Track:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003037

in addition ... Woodland Scenic's Foam Roadbed for Flextrack allegedly works well with Kato Unitrack ... 

The KATO importer in Germany sells 'Kato Unitrack Flextrack', but I am wondering if this is an official KATO track (it is sold as such, however). This track does not have the ballast, however. It is quite easy to manipulate, like Fleischmann flex track. https://www.kato-unitrack.de/7078024.html

It looks like a Kato conversion track set joined to a flexitrack.

https://www.amazon.com/Kato-Scale-Unitrack-Conversion-KA-20-045/dp/B00A0T32K6

The Kato conversion pieces are for connecting Unitrack to Tomix finetrack. Kato flextrack connects to kato Unitrack without any conversion pieces, you just need one extra unijoiner at the changeover location.

In Germany it is advertised as being able to connect Kato unitrack to other brands (like Fleischmann Profi) in general, not just finetrack. But you must swap out the "unijoiner" to the correct position in that case. I have 2 myself for swapping to Finetrack. I like them except that the gaps are somewhat big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any other brand, namely any tracks without roadbeds, one extra unijoiner is enough. The conversion track has a cutout for the Tomix fixed joiner and the filler under the overhanging ballast is set for Finetrack height and width. No other product matches the reserved space so much.

One optical upgrade is to file down the overhanging ballast on the cato conversion piece without removing its bottom plate needed to lift the Tomix track to Unitrack height.

I don't know about actual Kato flex track existing, but this SW takes about 15 min of youtube video, to learn and has a "kato flex" piece  allows you to do about anything

VentureForth

For any other brand, namely any tracks without roadbeds, one extra unijoiner is enough. The conversion track has a cutout for the Tomix fixed joiner and the filler under the overhanging ballast is set for Finetrack height and width. No other product matches the reserved space so much.

One optical upgrade is to file down the overhanging ballast on the cato conversion piece without removing its bottom plate needed to lift the Tomix track to Unitrack height.

I find it hilarious that they sell these converters in the US.  As everyone has said, the unijoiner is enough.  And yes, it was designed to connect to Tomix (not even just FineTrack).  I'm glad *we* know what they were made for.  ;)

Since I generally run Tomix, I don't even need a unijoint to connect to Atlas.  Just sits in place. A spongy roadbed is generally close to getting the heights to match - and you want it 'cause that Atlas is loud if right on the board.  Tomix's plastic isn't that much quieter, but it seems to be a bit insulated.  Maybe just wishful thinking.