25 April 2005 - Japanese rail accident

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

The folowing is the google translator version os an announcement on the JR west website.

The translation would be funny except I understand that the rail accident in question injured 500 and killed people 161.

I didnt hear about it at the time but I have also included a hyperlink to the BBC report of it:

----------------------------------

Regional Public Prosecutor's Office following the announcement of a train accident related to the Kobe福知山線

We, 2005 April 25, at 106 Fukuchiyama Line between Tsukaguchi Amagasaki station took the name of your precious lives, 500 serious accidents causing extremely attracted to someone that would hurt you more than your name I. Everyone in the family, your people were injured and their families everyone is very sad that you have not healed, the pain that I have, I deeply apologize again. Unfortunately did.

Today, found the accident, the local prosecutors office in Kobe, was indicted on charges that got professional negligence to me. I, we sincerely受KE止METAI the decision.

受KEMASHI was judged to be the prosecution, who has been responsible for our business and I again, we must take the responsibility受KE止MENAKERE.

I will leave with the job of president.

If you were injured and everyone in your family and your sorrow and pain of everyone and their families will not never go away. As we are still victims of someone who has the best support to improve the safety and working hard to change our corporate culture.

Here again, if those who died for the souls of people who were injured and we wish you and your快癒one of our early days, everyone in the family, your people were injured and their families everyone, including even many of the customers, I sincerely apologize deeply.

July 8, 2009

西日本旅客鉄道Inc.

President Masao Yamazaki

-------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4480031.stm

bikkuri bahn

Online translations are uniformly bad, but especially so when working with a letter of apology such as this, which uses formal Japanese.

The Amagasaki crash was a bad one, caused by overspeed into a curve.  JR West had not installed ATS-P, which may have prevented the accident.  At the time, only conventional ATS had been in operation. Of course, if JR West hadn't instituted its "nikkin kyoiku" punishment system, the driver may not have been stressed to make up lost time.

Online translations are uniformly bad, but especially so when working with a letter of apology such as this, which uses formal Japanese.

The Amagasaki crash was a bad one, caused by overspeed into a curve.  JR West had not installed ATS-P, which may have prevented the accident.  At the time, only conventional ATS had been in operation. Of course, if JR West hadn't instituted its "nikkin kyoiku" punishment system, the driver may not have been stressed to make up lost time.

Of curse the relative word there is maybe. Just like any manned automated system, it can be overwritten and turned off at will. Scary thing is I was on that line around that curve a month earlier to the day.