Shinkansen weathering

Thankyu6300

I was keen to know if anyone has done any weathering to their Shinkansen's, I often see in pictures the brown dirt on the top. The rest of the car is always clean though

for most japanese passenger trains, just weather the roof lightly. more intense near pantograph and roof electrical equipments for electrics, exhaust for diesels, and bogies.

I'd suggest doing a general net search on weathering model trains, as there's tons of info / videos out there. 

An air-brush can be used if you have one, are skilled with it, and use a paint that isn't permanent - if you care.

Non-permanent options are highly diluted acrylic paint and pastel chalks.  There are several companies offering specific weathering sets of these, so see what your local / favorite web supplier carries.  My overall sense is that most "Japanese" modelers prefer their rolling stock to be virginally clean, for multiple reasons.

ive like the doc obriens weathering powders. they stick well w/o clearcoating to seal them in.

http://www.micromark.com/doc-obriens-weathering-powders-set-of-12-colors,7798.html

there are a number of weathering powders out there that are great for doing this sort of simple grime/grit w.o having to paint.

get some cheap makeup brushes and applicators to add the powders. lots on ebay cheap or the dollar store. ive found these very handy for this stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Disposable-Makeup-Fleece-Lipstick-Lip-Gloss-Brush-Wands-Applicator-Set-H-/302195665384?hash=item465c43e9e8:g:SSIAAOSw5cNYeY9O

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Double-ended-Disposable-EyeShadow-sponge-Applicators-Brushes-Makeup-Tool-/191803279773?hash=item2ca85dc99d:g:GoUAAOSwG-1WuuZU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50-Disposable-Make-Up-Eye-Shadow-Sponge-Lip-Brush-Applicator-Makeup-Tool-SET-/151818628811?var=&hash=item2359186ecb:m:mP2qFQavn9ywaTEGSSnRGAw

you can use masking tape (ie blue painters tape to tape off the roof area and just apply a little along the roofs. then when you remove the tape just smudge along the edge so its not a super sharp line. like everyone has said its usually the stripe down the center of the roof where the rollers dont hit that have the dirt. you can see this on youtube videos to get where the line should be.

jeff

Thanks for the info everyone. I understand why must people keep their trains pure it is a bit of a risk. I might wait till I have a little more confidence. The pastel idea is good.

Thankyu,

One way to practice is to pick up some old cars (don't have to be Japanese) on ebay or at a local train show to practice weathering on. I use to get those old Bachman freight cars for a buck or less to experiment on.

Jeff

• Like 2

I've used the pastel technique for building garage kits for years before I started doing it with the airbrush and it always looked great.

Edited by The_Doctor

ive like the doc obriens weathering powders. they stick well w/o clearcoating to seal them in.

http://www.micromark.com/doc-obriens-weathering-powders-set-of-12-colors,7798.html

Jeff - I've seen this notion before, along with comments that dull coat tends to offset the effect of the powder.

What I'm wondering is if handling will remove / impact the pastel layer without the overcoat?

Yes it does, when I was young I did a lot of heavy weathering of old us stock with chalks, pastels and makeups and w.o dullcoat I would come off on the fingers and smudge on handling.

Jeff

That raises the question of whether dull coat has the same negative effect on doc Obrien as it does on other pastel brands?

If yes, have you found any other method to protect it?

Another good option is eyeshadow, and there are all sorts of colours that are suitable for weathering. And of course no need to go to Sephora, just get the cheap supermarket kinds.

That raises the question of whether dull coat has the same negative effect on doc Obrien as it does on other pastel brands?

If yes, have you found any other method to protect it?

I've found dull coat kills the effect of Tamiya powders, other pastels and eyeshadow equally. I haven't found a way to protect it apart from minimising handling as much as possible, but at the same time these things  don't rub off near as much as one might expect - and the eyeshadow is particularly resilient to touching.

VentureForth

It's kinda ironic in your sample picture that the Shinkansen in the foreground is weathered but the one in the background is pristine.  :D