Correct way to wire a DCC layout?

gavino200

I'm still a little conflicted about transponding. I'm going to have to see it in action somewhere to decide. I like the technology and would love to build it into my layout just for fun. But I'm also becoming quite sold on sound. So far I like the Soundtraxx and Locsound decoders. I'd like to go ahead using what ever decoders offer the best features, rather than sticking with digitrax. I wonder if I can do both by putting Digitrax decoders in cars.  

You can have the sound equipped decoder drive the motor and the digitrax transponding decoders in the cab cars. It must be in every car that can lead a train, so for an emu/dmu that means both cabs. For locomotives and single car units, there are three options: a lone digitrax sound decoder, different sound decoder for motor, headlights and sound and a small digitrax transponder wired next to it, sound decoder for motor and sound and digitrax decoder for headlights and transponding.

ps: The Digitrax TL1 and TF4 are cab car lights and transponding only decoders. The 2nd and 3rd variant are best done with these. The Kato cab car decoder (FL12) is also made by Digitrax. More info: http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB695/tf4-installation-instructions/

• Like 1

So I just finally finished the project. :) I'm sitting back watching the Shinkys roll around the layout. I put a massive amount of time planning and trying to understand this stuff. But the execution went pretty much without a hitch. Except that it took me quite a bit longer than I expected - one complete day and three evenings. I'm really happy with how it works and also how it looks (even though it's under the table where almost no one will see it). I can't possibly express my gratitude to everyone here, and the ghostly presence of KenS and Quinntopia. I owe you bigtime. A virtual round of beers, on me, for everyone in the house. :)

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Well done.

As regards computerisation I have found TrainController very versatile especially its speed profiling of locos for accurate stopping at stations along with automation of schedules.

Current project underway is +4D sound which is quite handy for N scale given space constraints. Have installed the 5.1 Surround sound system, but creating the sound files for locos in the required format is proving to be a bit more of a challenge. Hopefully can create a few like the ones from the Digitrax sound depot.

The sky is the limit in terms of future potential and also how much time and money can be spent!

Enjoy!