Schienenzeppelin

alpineaustralia

I have the kato (made for hobbytrain) version in n scale. i got lucky a couple of years back on an ebay auction and got it cheap in a box of misc stuffi got it for $60 and the box has a mg sharp price tag of 129.99 pounds! one of my all time ebay scores!

very fun model as the kato's propeller turns when it runs. definitely draws looks when its put out.

its does appear to have dcc instructions for installation of a decoder on the main pc board. it runs a tad roughly as its only 2 axles. the rear one does pivot some to help, but when it hits track joints it does make a good klunk noise as its very heavy due to the fact its only 4 wheel drive and no traction tires.

comes in a very nice presentation box and has a nice little booklet on the history of the prototype and other german futuristic trains.

apparently the prototype tended to clean all the platforms it went past, sucking up anything not nailed down!

ill post a little video of mine when i have some wider radius track down (it does not like standard ttrak corners much).

cheers

jeff

I have the kato (made for hobbytrain) version in n scale. i got lucky a couple of years back on an ebay auction and got it cheap in a box of misc stuffi got it for $60 and the box has a mg sharp price tag of 129.99 pounds! one of my all time ebay scores!

Holy Moly! Jeff - you should tell your wife how much you saved.... and just for that you deserve to buy yourself another train. (If it was a pair of shoes and the savings was that large you know a woman would buy another pair.)  :grin

Holy Moly! Jeff - you should tell your wife how much you saved.... and just for that you deserve to buy yourself another train. (If it was a pair of shoes and the savings was that large you know a woman would buy another pair.)  :grin

Yep that one was a whopper of a deal! those come along maybe once a year or two on ebay! rarely ever see them come up for sale so i treasure the find! there is one on ebay right now at $310 with 30 bids so far and three days left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Ga-KATO-HOBBYTRAIN-GERMAN-ZEPPELIN-RAILCAR-MIB_W0QQitemZ110412863628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item19b51e988c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_789wt_1108

best to just keep the topic of train spending off the radar when ever possible, even when there is good news! im probably fooling no one though!

cheers,

jeff

Yikes, it ended up going for $610! wish my retirement investments did so well, 10x in a couple of years! actually got  a steal on it in the first place... going to have to be a little more careful where i take it though! i sort of panicked the other day when i replied to the thread as it made me go pull it out to look a the instructions for the dcc info and i could not find it for about 10 minutes! turned out to be at the bottom of a pile of trams...

cheers

jeff

Yikes, it ended up going for $610! wish my retirement investments did so well, 10x in a couple of years! actually got  a steal on it in the first place... going to have to be a little more careful where i take it though! i sort of panicked the other day when i replied to the thread as it made me go pull it out to look a the instructions for the dcc info and i could not find it for about 10 minutes! turned out to be at the bottom of a pile of trams...

cheers

jeff

I make a bet it's not at the bottom of a pile of trams anymore! :grin

alpineaustralia

How mad is that price?

Imagine if you installed a decoder in it and it acted like my Tomix 300? boy would you be p*ssed off.

How mad is that price?

Imagine if you installed a decoder in it and it acted like my Tomix 300? boy would you be p*ssed off.

not mad to the collector who really wants it and its a really limited model!

just have to be careful if you go in and install dcc!

nice to know some of the trains are appreciating in value!

cheers

jeff

i would not say its mad as thats what the thing probably costs be in pretty rare and it seems desired. expensive yes, but we all have those things we end up spending a lot on as we just have to have them!

whats mad is when folks spend $200 for a train on ebay they could pick up easily retail or the next week on ebay for $100! this happens a lot and there are a few retailers (on and off ebay) that try to get away with jacking standard prices up 2-3x!

cheers,

jeff

Yes it will be interesting to see if it goes this hight this time around. there were three guys in it up to $300 and then two guys up to $600 on the last one so may not go so high this time. kind of strange to dump the second one so quickly. hey put a buy it now at $550 on this one with starting of $150. collectors market in general and especially on ebay can be really volatile like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250476728528&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_599wt_1108

cheers

jeff

Ouch the second one went for $262.77, bet that first dude is smarting! but its all 20-20 hindsight, who knew the guy would come up with two of those in a row like that, they are pretty rare on ebay! bet they both are happy to have their trains!

cheers

jeff

I have had it as a long standing ebay search (lapses now and then) and only a handful have ever come up for sale.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Was pretty certain I saw a Zeppelin at 1 of the dealers in Germany that my father often visits. Wasn't sure though...

Went there yesterday (as I'm in the Netherlands at the moment), and there is indeed a brand new Zeppelin available there. 175 euro..

thanks, interesting that ebay no longer does inclusive searches so my old zeppelin search did not bring this one up!

also it looks like this is a different model than mine, its a later one H2621 that comes with the dvd and also only has a 2 blade prop. mine is the H2620 with no dvd and a 4 blade prop!

actually turned it up for sale at an online store at $129

http://www.tee-usa.com/store/product3118.html

H2620

http://74.125.93.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.1zu160.net/test/hobbytrain-schienenzeppelin.php&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSchienenzeppelin%2Bhobbytrain%2B2620%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhnqcSjlmpbMDPuv4OFC3yegkOaWg

and on ebay in itally for $265

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://cgi.ebay.ch/KATO-HOBBYTRAIN-2620-SCALA-N-ZEPPELIN-TURBOELICA-K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ250287473752&ei=5zmTSvvyKZDglAfGv72dDA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=10&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSchienenzeppelin%2Bhobbytrain%2B2620%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us

wonder what the difference is and how available in europe these are these days.

cheers

jeff