Looking for inspiration for stations with KATO unitrack

Yavianice

Hi all!

I have a KATO Unitrack layout and I am looking into getting a station for my track. The station area (at ground level) has place for 3 platform islands and is around 4-8 x 248 mm in length. I have looked into the stations that KATO produces, but I was generally underwhelmed by what KATO has to offer. The rural trainstation set does not fit the layout, and the island platforms of the ‘old style’ and ‘new style’ I find a bit underwhelming in terms of looks and expandability (the old style bridge can only be connected to 1 platform, while the new style bridge can only accommodate 2 island platforms out of the box). I find ‘typical’ Japanese train stations that KATO uses for inspiration generally not that appealing, in terms of looks, even though some Japanese train stations (such as Hachinohe, Kanazawa, Asahikawa, Toyama, Osaka, Kyoto and others) are much prettier.

My question to you all is: Are there some alternatives to the KATO stations (that fit for KATO Unitrack in terms of height and island platform width?) What stations do you use with KATO Unitrack? Do you build your own from scratch? Or do you maybe ‘enhance’ the KATO stations with other packages from other manufacturers/other countries/homebrew modifications and additions? Pictures of your own station for inspiration is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Yavianice

Apart from Kato and Tomix stations, there are platforms offered by Greenmax 

2117 City Island Platform    http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182132

2118 Local Island Platform  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182133

2131 One-sided Platfrom    http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182141

Rural stations in Japan often have a lower platform level than modern urban stations.

Sankei had some platforms, but most seem to be terminated.

• Like 1

I looked at the station list above and it looks like, most of them could be put into two groups: fully covered stations and stations with larger bridges or structures above the standard platforms.

There is no set or kit for the fully covered ones, so you have to scratchbuild them using roofless Kato platforms and everything else you could find.

For the second type, the easiest way is to get the basic platform sets and use the overhead parts to kitbash a new overhead structure. You can add greenmax structure kits to this, like the city station office kit as it has the right windows and walls for a nice large overhead station, but you have to cut up the walls and create your own stucture from it.

In both cases, the basic Kato platforms will remain the same, with varying amounts of basic roofing and overhead parts used for the new station. Personally, right now i'm building an overhead double track side platform station using two Kato ground level side platform kits, some wood, styrene sheets and greenmax building parts for the ground level building.

ps: In your case, i would probably combine 3 Kato 23-200 overhead station buildings to cover the 3 island platforms by cutting off the ground level part and opposing side wall from the middle one and gluing it between the other two facing outwards with the ground level stairs. The same can be done with the Kato 23-122 and 23-123 sets and it probably requires no cutting due to being more modular (you'll need one base and two expansion sets for 3 island platforms). You can find more info here: http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/OverheadTransitStation/

I have the Greenmax 2117 from a sale (on HS, I think). I like it for its versatility, took parts of it for my short Nekomori platform kitbash.

All the rest parts I could put together to a medium size more city-like platform with roof which I normally don't use (yet).

The station area (at ground level) has place for 3 platform islands and is around 4-8 x 248 mm in length.

Could you clarify the space available?  What you describe here is barely enough for one very short platform.

Could you clarify the space available?  What you describe here is barely enough for one very short platform.

I think 4-8 x 248 means 4-8 sections of 248 mm long Kato platforms, 3 times. This is around 2 meters long x 30 centimeters wide + turnouts. Based on this assumption, the longest platform could be 8 sections, while the shortest 4. That is enough for trains between 7 to 14 cars using 20 meter cars as a base. With a turnout district added, the size still comes out to around 6 to 12 cars.

• Like 1

ps: In your case, i would probably combine 3 Kato 23-200 overhead station buildings to cover the 3 island platforms by cutting off the ground level part and opposing side wall from the middle one and gluing it between the other two facing outwards with the ground level stairs. The same can be done with the Kato 23-122 and 23-123 sets and it probably requires no cutting due to being more modular (you'll need one base and two expansion sets for 3 island platforms). You can find more info here: http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/OverheadTransitStation/

Thanks for the tip. I will most likely buy the 23-122 / 23-123 sets. In this case, the layout i am thinking of is a 23-122 hallway, connected with two 23-123 sets on each side. However that does mean I have to dismantle one of the expansion sets, because I have to reverse one of the staircases (as the 'gap' in the roof to accommodate the connecting hallway is fixed on one side, so the stairs have to be turned around for this to work). Is this roof/staircase part modular as well, or is it glued together?

Though I guess I could also see if a 23-123 surrounded by two 23-122 sets would work. Kind of like a Shinkansen/regional separated trainstation such as in Omagari, as the big halls will not be connected together.

Alternatively I was thinking of doing it 'the easy way', and get a whole bunch of the KATO Asphalt platforms, maybe combining it with a station building and maybe a European Station Hall (like Faller 221127, where the hall is placed on top of some roofless asphalt platforms). Will have to take the different dimensions into considerations... ugh.

Edited by Yavianice

My idea is to use the Kato modern style overhead station buildings as the concourses for the different lines (with some kitbashing), along with their newest style platforms, but along the edges of the tracks, I plan to build "vertical mall/office" style buildings. These buildings will probably be kitbashed from Kato. Tomix, GreenMax or whatever structure I feel is suitable! My layout will be based on the JR East lines north of Tokyo, between Ueno and Omiya, but I don't want a massive elevated station!

Hahaha, unfortunately, it's gonna take a while! I'm looking at 6 - 8 platform tracks, all serving island platforms. One island will serve Tohoku Mainline rapid commuter and limited express as well as Shinjuku-Shonan Line trains. One island will serve Tohoku Mainline locals towards Omiya, Takasaki and Utsunomiya. One island will serve Keihin-Tohoku Line trains and one will serve Saikyo Line trains....

A few years back while surfing, I came across a station that the modeler built inside a large PVC pipe.  He cut multiple openings/windows big enough to see movement.  Obviously, he couldn't and didn't need to super detail the platform.  Very modern looking, eye catching, and unique. 

Will post if I can find the site.

Bwoaa that's a great topic! And some nice inspiration, too. Though I will have to think how I will fit something like that on my layout as I have limited space (in terms of width), and I am not that much into handicrafts. But that topic is very appealing in making me at least try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh maybe mardon saw that one and got his idea!

Mardon did get that layout pretty well completed and sceniced. He just hasn't been around for a while.

There is also the track club in Baltimore me that is doing Ttrak subway and stations in cut out PVC pipe like that.

Cheers,

Jeff

I met the guy who does the TTrak subway.  He said that he would not use PVC again.  Needed something far more rigid.  I didn't pursue more detail.

For those of you who are wondering what Jeff and I are talking about, a local modeler used PVC pipes that are hung under your layout.

the big issues they had were cutting the pvc pipe sections out. it proved to be a dangerous challenge. melting, kicking back and clean cuts were all problems for them. they have not brought it out to shows the last year or two, think they have sort of shelved it for now.

i think their intention was to do a ttrak system that would reside under the regular ttrak modules to simulate a subway tube. I went the simpler route just making a ttrak module that sat on the table that the regular street level ttrak modules would sit on, much easier!

jeff