Trouble with Kato Kiha110

Rod.H

Is there a quick and simple method of installing the small roof antenna/vent/fuse (Z06-0563 http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10165028) as I've had 6 to install, only had success with 4 and lost 8. I've had more luck installing the vent covers, the other antenna & interior lighting.

Edited by Rod.H

I cut them, use tweezers & sometimes got them to push in hole. The other times go flying from the tweezers with a below 1% of locating the airborne part. 

Use a pin vise slightly larger than the hole to drill it out just a bit. If you don't have a pin vise you can GENTLY use the tip of a brand-new exacto knife blade to slightly widen the hole. I use CA on them so they dry fast. Also when you're pushing it into the hole you want to grab the part with angled tweezers UNDER the cap on the part, like so (excuse my great artistic talent here):

post-3438-0-53138500-1483029782_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These guys are great once you have a pilot hole (they can start holes if you make a little divot with an xacto knife tip). I find it easier to start a smaller hole with a pin vise and micro drill bit (you can get a set cheap on ebay or packs of ten if you break them). Then I use the dental files ro gently ream the hole larger till you get the best fit. Easier than trying to keep using larger drill bits to get the right size and doing a slightly larger drill bit thru a hole tends to be when the flute jams in the hole and you break off the tiny bits $&@#%!

Jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pack-Dental-MANI-Niti-H-File-25mm-15-40-Hand-Use-files-Endodontic-Instruments-/201674124274?hash=item2ef4b6ebf2:g:GpoAAOSwzaJX45Mm

• Like 1

It's a good idea to assemble these on a white sheet laid down on a large table or while covered with a transparent plastic storage box from all sides except where the modeller sits. This would keep most small parts within an easy to spot radius.

• Like 1

I try to use the sheet method whenever possible. Also this sounds kind of dumb but sometimes for smaller things like this I'll actually lay on the floor to assemble the part. That way if it goes flying I can see where it went. 

I located my finer tweezers, 4 of the missing 8 fuze/antennas - after ordering a the spare part pack - and a large zip-loc bag. I put the bodyshell in the bag with the tweezers & a fuze, then attempted to get the stick in the hole. I got the last two holes filled with a fuze/antenna after somehow losing one. While I'd the bodyshell off, I also installed the interior lights. The v1 LED lights are fiddly to install, I prefer the v2 of that lighting type, but I believe that I'd need to modify something to get them to fit.

Jeweler so cloth is really great.mits basically a velvet material that small things kind of stick to in the low nap so they don't tend to bounce far or roll. Usually black. I've got a few hunks of velvet material I got for a couple of bucks each at the fabric store in the remnants bin. Thought of taking over some small bits to test out different material, but was afraid they might look asconce at that in the store sprinkling little bits on the fabric to see if they would stick or bounce!

Bag ideas is good if you can get enough room to work in there and easy movement of your hands!

The way I usually loose small parts like this is the tweezer pop. Hate that little twang when something shoots out of them. I usually try to use my really fine needle nose pliers to hold any small part that needs any force to go in as this is when you end up baring down on the tweezers and they turn into little springs that can launch a part! The pliers seem to not build up the squeeze out or roll force the tweezers can. I just use the tweezers to place the part into the needle nose jaws. But I spent many years in school using fine tweezers and can still screw up with them launching a tiny part.

It's Murphy's law though as when I use the cloth I rarely drop anything!

Jeff

I found a set of super micro tip tweezers released by flex-i-file and used the angled tip one to push the fuze/antenna in the hole, gripping the part above the flat bit, as gripping under it didn't work and this time I got both bits in pretty much first attempt. Plus I didn't lose any, which means I've got spares, about 29 of them. 

• Like 1