A rural micro-layout ( or at least the possibility of one )

enodenlover

Jeff, not a single one of the track pieces I got today, straight or curve, has those slots. There's no place on any of them to connect anything. Did Tomix make changes to their track system or did I receive some messed up factory rejects that have to go back to Hobby Search?   

Tomix Mini Fine Track uses the Tomix 5534 DC Feeder which slides into a slot in the roadbed under the rails.  Its not always easy to see this slot.  On the back of the piece of the track it will tell you what this piece of track is. The curved piece I photographed is a Mini Rail  C140-30 piece. The straight piece is an S70 which is the shortest straight with an under track feeder slot. Which means it is the S18.5 and S33 which do not have the feeder slot.

post-75-0-07749100-1484205179_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-64728200-1484205196_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-93902100-1484205219_thumb.jpg

BTW, since you mentioned turnouts there is a Mini Rail Points Set which includes S140-30 manual points.  This set is the only way to manual Mini Rail points.  The electric Mini Rail points can be purchases individually or in sets. 

Edited by bill937ca

Boy do I feel like a total bozo ( not the first time and it certainly won't be the last ). Even with my reading glasses on I couldn't see those tiny slots so I took a tooth pick and poked around...lo and behold there were those elusive little slots. I've been putting off getting prescription glasses but it looks like I can't keep doing that much longer. 

Lol, no worries! I now use them for the close up stuff! It does help a lot. I gave up on the old magnifiers I use to use just to enlarge a little and when I finally had to get distance glasses as I couldn't read street signs clearly at a good distance I also got prescription bifocals with closer focus for working on small stuff.mthat way when I look up to watch tv I can see that in the top part.

If everything has such simple solutions! My dyslexia made me drop the none out of your post!

Cheers

Jeff

Gave it a lot of thought and finally decided to go back to my original 18 x 24 concept. I ordered the proper mini-curves, the 1112s, so now all I have to do is wait another week or so ( or two, considering what a pain in the butt customs at O'Hare is ) before I can starting gluing track down. Meanwhile I can put that time to good use working on tiny details like road signs and power poles. Not much but better than no progress at all.

• Like 1