Kato Loco packaging

TxTim

I have not bought new Kato loco until just recently.   I am wondering if the packaging has been change over the year?  Both locos (N-scale Steam FEF and the ONP setI just purchased only have hard paper boxes?  What happened to the hard plastic cases ??

THanks!

Most kato locos still come in the jewel cases, the FEF is an exception.  My guess is to try to justify the almost $300 price tag, which is way above any other kato loco that I've ever seen.  The Operation North Pole comes as a set, which kato usa usually puts in boxes, although I wish they would use bookcase packaging like kato japan.

I was surprised by the cardboard box when I recieved my FEF too, especially when I have other Kato locos that are in plastic jewel cases that would fit the FEF.  Saying it would add appreciably to the price is like the auto manufacturers giving the same reason for your $35,000 car having a $3 clock that loses 10 minutes a month.

I was surprised by the cardboard box when I recieved my FEF too, especially when I have other Kato locos that are in plastic jewel cases that would fit the FEF.  Saying it would add appreciably to the price is like the auto manufacturers giving the same reason for your $35,000 car having a $3 clock that loses 10 minutes a month.

I'd say to let your retailer know about it, as if they're truly a quality company they will welcome customer feedback. 

One of the "JNS dealers" told me Kato has a monthly meeting with their dealers.