Speed matching locos with an MRC DCC system?

gavino200

My DCC system is MRC prodigy advance2. I have two locos that I want to run together. They are the same model of Kato loco. I have them running as a consist. The problem is that one runs quite a bit faster than the other in spite of being "the same". 

I haven't been able to work out how to speed match using this system. I realize that most people don't use this brand. But if anyone knows a thread or site that might help I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's not dependent on the DCC central system but on the locomotive decoders. First make sure you have the same brand and exact decoder type in both locos. Then using the decoder register guide and some speed measurements, determine the right speed curve values for both loco+decoder pairs. Then using the programming mode of your central, program each decoder with the right curve. The result will be that both locos will run at the same speed when reciving the same speed command. Then you can safely consist them.

JMRi is your best bet but you have a problem. MRC isn't one of the front runners when it comes to JMRI.

Speed_Table_SpeedMatch.png

get the USB interface so you can run JMRI and then follow the video. The only difference is to use a string between the two units. slower in front. Tape a string between the two units. The string will sag as the speed differs.  As you run the consist the sag will prompt you to look at the speed level to make note.  Make your adjustments..... Keeping the string taunt will be your goal.

Inobu  

Edited by inobu

It's not dependent on the DCC central system but on the locomotive decoders. First make sure you have the same brand and exact decoder type in both locos. Then using the decoder register guide and some speed measurements, determine the right speed curve values for both loco+decoder pairs. Then using the programming mode of your central, program each decoder with the right curve. The result will be that both locos will run at the same speed when reciving the same speed command. Then you can safely consist them.

You were right. They're not exactly the same.

One train is a Kato ES44-AC and the other is a Kato ES44-AC "Gevo". I don't know if there's any real difference, or what the "Gevo" means. 

The decoders aren't exactly the same either. The "Gevo" has a TCS K1D4. Interestingly it's slightly different to the one in the photo on the TCS page. I guess they make minor changes from time to time.

The non "Gevo" loco's decoder looks quite different to the K1D4. It's a long time since I installed these decoders. I think either it's a compatible decoder from a different company (didn't think of looking for a brand when I had it open) or I chose the KOD8-C (meant for the ES44) in error. 

That explains why they run differently.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/gallery/image/3984-20161225-160647/

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/gallery/image/3985-20161225-160706/

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/gallery/image/3986-20161225-160721/

Edited by gavino200

JMRi is your best bet but you have a problem. MRC isn't one of the front runners when it comes to JMRI.

Speed_Table_SpeedMatch.png

get the USB interface so you can run JMRI and then follow the video. The only difference is to use a string between the two units. slower in front. Tape a string between the two units. The string will sag as the speed differs.  As you run the consist the sag will prompt you to look at the speed level to make note.  Make your adjustments..... Keeping the string taunt will be your goal.

Inobu  

Thanks. The JMRI looks awesome. It used to not be available for MRC, I think, but the last few versions have been compatible.

I have one small issue before I can get around to speed matching. I can't seem to reprogram the locos. I programmed them to run as a consist with it's own consist number. They never worked well together because of the speed difference. I've never been able to break up the consist to get the locos to run independently.

I remember that programming the consist was frustrating and that I was a bit out of my depth. I think I must have reprogrammed the locos so an intermediary address before finally getting them on a consist together. I didn't do this intentionally and don't know what this number is. 

So I can  run either or both trains with the consist address. But I don't have individual addresses for them. I've tried to reprogram them to another number but it doesn't work.

I've also tried to "read" the decoders, but no success. 

Update: I managed to get both trains back running as independent locos with separate addresses. It took a lot of trial and error. 

Now to get JMRI working. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1