SAL Shipping

disturbman

Patience grasshopper, patience...

this is good news as there are a lot of times hs has some smaller odd thing that i would like and cant get elsewhere easily, but at a $15 min shipping charge it stopped me... i can wait.

cheers

jeff

Fresh experience:

I ordered some stuff from PJ via eBay at 11/12/2009. Posting date was 14/12/2009 because of the weekend I think. Some items were posted by EMS, those arrived to Budapest at 21/12/2009, some were shipped by SAL and arrived today (30/12/2009). I got all of the 7 packages in excellent condition which is very weird as I know the Hungarian Post.  :grin

My HO EF64 JRFreight arrived today from HobbyWorld, it took two weeks with SAL and arrived tax free  :grin , i see that the customs form the origin of the goods was Korea sold in Japan!

Lew

I have used this shipping method many times in the past and overall I have never had a problem with it up to yet. Though it can vary for delivery times and the longest time I have had to wait for a parcel with SAL was five weeks and this was because of Royal Fail having their strikes back in November, but at other times its been 7 days which is quicker than UK Mainland post! So overall I would happily use this service without any second thoughts :grin.

I have used this shipping method many times in the past and overall I have never had a problem with it up to yet. Though it can vary for delivery times and the longest time I have had to wait for a parcel with SAL was five weeks and this was because of Royal Fail having their strikes back in November, but at other times its been 7 days which is quicker than UK Mainland post! So overall I would happily use this service without any second thoughts :grin.

I am up to two weeks now for my EF210 :(

Lew

Not Japanese, but I got a parcel a couple of days ago from Hattons in the UK, a building, two packs of figures and a couple of wagons, took five days from them posting it to arriving in my hands, for three pounds postage.

My EF210 in HO arrived today using SAL took 2 weeks but no customs charges  :cheesy where my other EMS parcel cost me £109 in tax and VAT  :sad: from now on its SAL for me!!

Lew

In my honest opinion when I import items from Japan, as long as its under £67, (£85 for a "gift") its tax exempt usually but anything over those margins then EU Tax (a.k.a VAT) applies along with a "storage" fee of £8 by Royal Mail but then even with the additional tax charge, it still works out cheaper to import rather than buy from UK retailers in my experience. Another thing I like about Japanese retailers is that they only put the value of the item on the customs form (as it should be) as where the American and Australian sellers (no offence intended) put the postage charge as well on the value of the item which can and has pushed the value over the £67 limit. This is the reason why I prefer to import direct from Japan because the item is honestly priced on the customs form as the postage rate has nothing to do with the value of the item being sent :grin.

My Cassiopeia arrived today, it was shipped by HS on 29th December, SAL can be slow sometimes, I wish there was something in between it and EMS. The train seems to have no new tooling as the end cars are not DCC ready as was the latest Hokutosei release, however it is still a very eye catching train, if there is one thing Kato knows how to do it is representing stainless steel. The EF510 looks good in the Cassiopeia colours too.

Yeah I'm waiting sal 3 weeks now... My project is on hold till it arrives

The latest "Japan Railfan", "RM Models" and "Hobby of Model Railroading" that were sent on 24th Jan arrived today, 14 days compared to 38 days for the Cassiopeia, one thing consistent about SAL is the inconsistency. ???

For those who have been ordering from HS lately, you would know that SAL (and maybe other forms) is taking a longish time to arrive. I notice that twice in the last couple of weeks, they have written an apology at the top of their site for delays in despatching. They must have an internal problem as other retailers still manage to get their SAL's to me in an average of about 7 days.

Angus

For those who have been ordering from HS lately, you would know that SAL (and maybe other forms) is taking a longish time to arrive. I notice that twice in the last couple of weeks, they have written an apology at the top of their site for delays in despatching. They must have an internal problem as other retailers still manage to get their SAL's to me in an average of about 7 days.

Angus

i been waiting on hw sal order x 3 now 1 3 weeks others 2 weeks i ordered the sakura last number decided to go ems for extra $10 so i get it this month. lol

Angus

Not complaining about the length of time SAL takes, just commenting on the widely varying times. I wonder if the email they send saying your order has shipped means it has shipped or just that it has been sent from the packing to the shipping departments and they wait for a big enough pile to build up for it to be worth their bothering a trip to the post office. Maybe the apology means the guy in shipping has had to find employment elsewhere.

Angus

I live on the West Coast, and it seems like packages from both Canada and Japan take a lot longer than they used to.  I live about 80 miles from Richmond BC and it took 3 weeks for a catalog to get here!  Packages from Europe are really inconsistent so hard to tell if there's anything up.  When I've inquired, some of my shippers have been point the finger at US customs.

i don't think it's customs i think alot more people are buying online making more traffic. it takes just as long here in aus some times and it's not customs

Not complaining about the length of time SAL takes, just commenting on the widely varying times. I wonder if the email they send saying your order has shipped means it has shipped or just that it has been sent from the packing to the shipping departments and they wait for a big enough pile to build up for it to be worth their bothering a trip to the post office. Maybe the apology means the guy in shipping has had to find employment elsewhere.

Was thinking along the same lines.

Angus

Angus

I've generally always found SAL to take way too long.

Angus

SAL only gets available cargo space so its beyond any individual shippers control.  SAL would be more affected if the number of flights were reduced.

have 3 orders going with hw 1 is 2 weeks ago the other 2 are 6 days later ordered.

i just received order 2 but the 3 weeks ago order has not yet arrived.

what you think?

I have my first SAL order coming from Banzai Hobby.  I usually use EMS with HS.  The record is 36hrs from Tokyo to Sydney, Australia.  I'll be interested to see how SAL goes.  I'll be satisfied with 14 days.

Cheers

The_Ghan