Evaporating People

toc36

Speaking of evaporated people. Here's something I saw at Sugamo Station back in September. 

post-3895-0-42412600-1482202809_thumb.jpg

It seemed like someone literally evaporated. 

The owner of this stuff was nowhere around and definitely didn't jump onto the tracks either as all the trains were running on time. 

I see once again they like to dwell on suicide. Despite the fact the suicide rate, though high, is about the same as Germany. You never see articles in the western press talking about the "German suicide culture".

• Like 2

Very good point. Japanese culture being different some than western cultures makes it an easy target for this being framed as strange. I would bet similar stuff goes on in western cultures, just not spun this way. In the us it's been historically heroic to fail and to run away and remake yourself, but most of the same issues and problems surrounding this are there as well, just seen as bold if you succeed, but many don't and of course that I'd overlooked.

Jeff

Imho because in Germany it’s not culturally acceptable at least not in a historical sense. European tradition holds that both giving up or running away is unacceptable as one must always face the consequences of his/her actions and many times those of his/her relatives. Modern practice is different though...

I read this (promotional) news article (for the book) also and have since purchased the book.

Will report back once it arrives and has been read.

Edited by stevenh

Suicide rates in the US are kept artificially low as most police departments and coroner's offices are willing to call a clear suicide an accidental death or overdose. I know this from personal experience, didn't know my cousin committed suicide until I interned at the police department in the township he killed himself in. 

In the US (and in Europe) I'm assuming the aversion toward labeling them suicides is due to Christianity and it's stance on the matter.