New to Model Railroading - First Layout

crunchbite

Hello everyone,

This is my first personal layout and I have very limited experience with larger more complex layouts so I would like some feedback or pointers before I start gluing things in place.

The layout is mad out of 4'x2' sections arranged in a U for the time being, but the plan is to eventually have a closed 8'x8' square.

My first concern is with power distribution and turnouts. I would like to start by saying that I will be using DCC with a Zephyr Xtra if that helps with any suggestions. I've read the DCC wiki and Allan's Wiring Guide online and I'm still a bit confused by what needs to be done to the Kato #4, #6, and crossover switches to make them work properly. Changing the #4 to non-power routing seems to be the only thing that needs to be done, is this correct? The #6 and crossover, I have no idea what to do...

Anyways, I look forward to any advice you can give me. Thanks.

post-4404-0-30181400-1481311446_thumb.jpg

post-4404-0-21830000-1481311447_thumb.jpg

post-4404-0-93813000-1481311447_thumb.jpg

Generally, you have to put power feeder joiners after every turnout's frog rails. This way, no modifications to the turnouts are needed. You can change the screws on the #4s and that allows skipping some of the feeders, but imho it's better to add them anyway.

It's cheaper and more effective to roll your own feeder unijoiners by soldering them yourself and by using a thicker wire for the backbone.

Other than these, the rest of the wiring is pretty standard. Btw. i would put short straights between any curve and a turnout's point side and longer (1 car long) staights between any superelevated curve and a turnout. This helps prevent derailments.

• Like 1