Four trains running in two square meters

velotrain

After working on some track plans for Nicofabi's design challenge, I was curious about just how far I could take things.  I reduced the length of his proposed space to an even 2 meters, while keeping the 1 meter width, thinking that might be the upper limit of space many modelers would have available - if they were lucky ;-)

The original design had a four-track station that would work for 6-7 car trains, with an extra three double-ended storage / staging tracks for each direction.  I wondered if an elevated Shinkansen line could be added in this slightly reduced space, and discovered that it just barely fits - if using Tomix track.

There are several reasons that you would need a larger board to do this with Kato track.  First, their viaduct station is longer, at 1240 mm vs. 1120 for the Tomix.  Second, Kato only has one radius of viaduct track, at 414 / 381 mm, while Tomix offers three sizes, with the smallest at 391 / 354 mm - which "Just" fits on this size baseboard.  Lastly, Kato doesn't offer curved turnouts - should you choose to use these to gain longer or additional sidings anywhere.

This design has the intent of some sort of scenic divider about 600 mm from the front of the layout, with almost all storage / staging tracks (partially) hidden.  It need not be a full "skyboard", but perhaps some tall structures separating the downtown from the industrial / railroad part of the city.

The current plan doesn't allow any sidings for the Shinkansen, but these could be added if you were willing to use the R317-280 curved turnouts behind the scenic divider - since these would be largely hidden, the visual effect of the smaller radius would be greatly reduced for the viewer.  If doing this, the viaduct track would need to partially run over the storage yard for the outer ground level loop, which is luckily not totally unprototypical.  Structures close to the track here would help with this - maybe even have the track run through a building.

The stations in the front are extremely close to each other, and I had to use one island and one side platform to even get that to work.  You could possibly restore the second island platform if you were creative with the lower level of the viaduct station, perhaps cantilevering the upper level over the inside lower level track.  Even with the Shinkansen line, there is still room for a bus or tram line in the middle of the board, so you could have five or six things operating at the same time.

I do realize that these are rather boring, concentric, oval loops.  However, the intent was to fit as much operation into as small a space as possible, while maintaining generous curves so the passenger stock doesn't look silly.  I have added two tracks for local 2-car EMU service, presumably starting their run from this station.  Modifications are possible, including a freight / industrial / engine service area in the middle, although the main lines need to stay where they are for this general scheme to work.

gallery_941_192_161800.jpg

• Like 3

Essentially you have put two double track ovals on top of each other. Btw. the smallest double track elevated viaduct from Tomix is 280/317 mm and also allows curved crossovers.

The ground station seems off if it's Tomix track as the platforms are differently sized. For Kato it's ok.

Personally i would use two island platforms on the ground level and side platforms for the shinkansen as island platforms on two track minor stops are not really prototypical because of the S curves. Most stations of this type use two through tracks and two side platform tracks for stopping trains or just two side platforms on the main tracks. One station hanging above the other is ok with Tomix viaduct supports, especially if crossbeams are used.

Personally i would use two island platforms on the ground level and side platforms for the shinkansen as island platforms on two track minor stops are not really prototypical because of the S curves. Most stations of this type use two through tracks and two side platform tracks for stopping trains or just two side platforms on the main tracks. One station hanging above the other is ok with Tomix viaduct supports, especially if crossbeams are used.

You need to address your concerns with Kato and Tomix.

Kato Viaduct Station

gallery_941_192_25595.jpg

Tomix Overhead Station

gallery_941_192_13285.jpg

It's more the prototype doesn't do island platforms because of the s-curves. However in model format, I'm wondering if a shinkansen would smack an island platform. It might be a reason why the WA310PC track piece exists.

These generally work in this configuration with shinkansens.mthat being said we did find over the years on the club layout where we have Kato platforms that a small percentage of our shinkansen derailments at the platform ends were a combo of having points there (we have #6 points to have two island platforms and passing siding in the same general configuration as above) may have been due to bumping the platform ends in some situations. First we added 128 sections on either end so the trains don't come out of a curve and into the point (always something to try to avoid), and that got rid of a lot of thise derailments. Then I backed off the platform ends a couple of cm from where they would go in the normal Kato configuration and that got rid of more. While there was clearance in the regular Kato platform end and track configuration it was close and my guess is at speed with some rocking, stutters and jumps from going around the comers and the point work that at times it would bump the point end and cause a derailment. Got rid of most of the small pool of remaining derailments there by backing the platform ends off a tad like that.

Jeff

More correctly, there WAS such a product

Do you know that the old set just had the still available side platforms and elevated station plates in a single box? You can still get everything separately. (and they are in stock at HS)

I was only trying to illustrate that I drew the station trackage as I did because that is how it is shown in the commercially available viaduct station sets. 

I personally have little interest in Shinkansen or viaduct track, so am unlikely to be buying any of these products.