Banzai Hobby

cteno4

just stumbled across Banzai hobby form a google ad in something totally unrelated.

interesting, seems to be another japanese hobby shop that appears to have someone in the west putting up a website front for them. things are generally shipped ems. prices appear to be 5-10% below list although they say 20% off list, their list price seems higher than everyone elses'...

just curious if anyone has used them. they only seem to be stocking kato right now.

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_260

cheers

jeff

Their price for starter sets seems competitive. Some of the Unitrack variation sets seem expensive though.

What I do see as a reason to think about buying from them is like NewHallStation they have some out of production stuff - but without the crazy 200% markup.

For example:

0-Series

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_260_313&products_id=6021

Koki 200

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_260_328&products_id=6677

If you're looking for something rare it might be worth it to check them out.

Hmmm...

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_260_323&products_id=6298

The single arm version of the EF210-100 (3034-3). I've been watching for that...because Kato is releasing it later this month. Yet I don't see anything to say that this is a "pre-order". I also see the EF210-100 original (3044), which has been sold out. Both of them use the wrong picture (the 3044 has a picture of 3034, which 3034-3 has a picture of 3044). Makes me wonder if they can actually make good on this stuff - I would prefer they could since I see a lot of out of production stuff at reasonable prices.

If they are a typical japanese hobby shop then there is a good chance they have an odd selection of items there that the standard larger online sources might not! the few hobby shops in japan i visited seemed crammed with stuff from that last 20 years! very odd assortment of stock. I have heard the same from others as well.

cheers

jeff

Their over all selection is limit, but their Kato selection is substantial.  They also appear to ship overseas and offer a true 20% from MSRP.  Any information is appereicated.  Hector

Hector,

I've purchased off them several times.  My roster isn't with me atm but I'll give you further details when I next look at it.  I always use EMS shipping to Sydney, Australia.  These days though, I prefer to use Bigman.  I've posted links to their site elsewhere.  Bigman has a wider selection, including Tomix, MA, and Greenmax.  He will also get anything you ask for via email.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Wish I had the same luck with them - three internet orders, within the last two weeks, all bounced as advertised goods weren't actually in stock. And I thought it was just a British thing!

Equally annoying was that although Banzai made a Paypal refund within 24 hours, Paypal put a "temporary hold" on the monies for over a week - apparently to make sure there was nothing funny going on. Given they'd made the initial payment on my behalf, you'd have thought a refund for exactly the same amount from exactly the same retailer would be easy to match.

Nice little earner for them.

Ian

Hector,

Specifically, I bought from Banzai about a year ago.  They were the only on-line retailer with a few cars I needed to make a full Kato Series 165 Shonan colour consist.  I bought the Kato 4057 and 2 x 4059 from them.  I had no problems with service.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks!  Their website is still as clunky as ever (or maybe my netbook is too weak?), but there are some very intriguing items on offer. :)

Edit: Placed a back-order for some items. (Kato 14 series Akatsuki, EF30, 285 series Sunrise Express).

Their Kato selection is very good, but not many Tomix items are available.

Edited by 1954G
  • Like 1

i wonder if the 20% off is standard? 

the site is wonky, one of those wp templates with all the slidy bells and whistles that behave differently on each browser! those templates tend to be the ones full of security holes!

jeff

Thanks a lot guys, how many dealers do I need?  Just ordered a Kato 285-3000 Sunrise Express and Tomix 115-1000 Shonan Color 7 Car Set at $100 each.  There were others at really good prices but had to practice a little self control.  :)

i wonder if the 20% off is standard? 

the site is wonky, one of those wp templates with all the slidy bells and whistles that behave differently on each browser! those templates tend to be the ones full of security holes!

jeff

A wordpress template...I knew it looked familiar (and not in a good way). 

In all fairness, the site loaded OK once I logged onto a more modern machine (Win 10, Firefox, 3GB RAM). I also give Banzaihobby credit for offering SAL small packet and updating their inventory. Last time I visited (2015) they were accepting backorders for stuff that had been sold out for years and the search button was broken; those issues have been fixed. 

Seems like they're putting a lot more effort than they used to into selling trains overseas. 

Thanks!  Their website is still as clunky as ever (or maybe my netbook is too weak?), but there are some very intriguing items on offer. :)

Edit: Placed a back-order for some items. (Kato 14 series Akatsuki, EF30, 285 series Sunrise Express).

Their Kato selection is very good, but not many Tomix items are available.

I just got confirmation that my order has been dispatched. I hope yours has been as well.  These were really good deals!

Thanks for the heads up splifdfx! :)

So my stuff arrived from Banzai Hobby today (I selected SAL, and with the Christmas rush, I expected it to be slow), but I am a bit disappointed by the packing.  No bubble wrap or foam wrap; the models stuffed in a box that didn't really fit properly.  The Kato paper sleeve had a number of dings and scratches that either bubble wrap or a little cushioning would have prevented.

Hi!

My order was absolutely ok, double bubble wrap and wrapping paper (not newspaper than other seller), but my order arrived with EMS.

And I would like to thanks splifdfx for the Black Friday sign and the links! 

Best Regards,

Coromant