What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

I had just started working on the layout after lunch yesterday when word came of the passing of a beloved elderly family member. That, as you can imagine, put an end to my hobby activities for the rest of the day. I'm still pretty bummed out about losing my favorite aunt but I'll probably get back to working on the layout tonight since I can sure use the distraction right now.

Bob

• Like 1

wet weather is a great time for modelling when you are an orchardist. First significant rain for a couple of months. It was getting very dry!

Firstly I have been getting back into scenic work on my NZ120 (TT) layout . The difficulty is creating New Zealand type scenery .

post-1342-0-49244600-1487412044_thumb.jpg

secondly I have been working on a couple of houses for layout . The brown roof house is a solid block of resin. Could be used as a paper weight. The other house is a 3D print from a friend. I soldered up the TV aerials today from bits of fine phosphor bronze wire. The 3D house roof has old yoghurt tinfoil which has been creased by running a nit comb along it to create corrugations. Also  trying to finish a guardsvan (caboose) for the period I am modelling. Finally did some weathering on a Aru-Nine kit which has been sitting waiting for some attention. Just a light wash to tone it down and then I will add some rusting effects. 

post-1342-0-89241300-1487412438_thumb.jpgpost-1342-0-78787500-1487412449_thumb.jpgpost-1342-0-21692600-1487412462_thumb.jpgpost-1342-0-22613200-1487412472_thumb.jpg 

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 7

After learning about my aunt's passing on Thursday I really didn't feel up to working on the layout until Friday night but I've gotten quite a bit done in the three days since. I've put down lots of shrubs and bushes, planted a few trees, installed a fence behind the bus terminal separating it from the Tsubuden right-of-way ( my fictional Tsuburaya Electric Railway ), and added some more road signs and advertising signs. The layout is now about 75% done which is the closest I've ever come to finishing one of these things ( apparently miracles do happen. :grin  )

Some personal issues have stopped progress for a little bit, but I'm trying to get back on track.  I went and moved the door into my living room, and started laying out track to test fit everything.  I'm thinking of securing the track and structures to the 2" foam that will be on top of the door and just running the wires between the door the foam in small slits, then leaving the foam loose in case I need to fix anything later on.  I ordered the rest of the structures and some more kato turnout switches, but I'm not sure if I'll switch to a kato throttle as well.  Its kind of tempting to do so for if I get a sound box, but I'm not sure if I'll end up getting one or if I'll go for DCC and sound instead later on.  Also did a little more work on the station, used my new pin vice set to drill the holes for the platform shelters.

post-3846-0-22366300-1487660664_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-70443500-1487660681_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-71875700-1487660667_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-44037700-1487660678_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-73285100-1487660672_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Kiha66, I noticed an army tank sitting near the station platform in the fifth photo. Are you anticipating an imminent attack by Godzilla or one of his many friends and enemies? :)

Bob

• Like 1

Kiha66, I noticed an army tank sitting near the station platform in the fifth photo. Are you anticipating an imminent attack by Godzilla or one of his many friends and enemies? :)

Bob

A monster attack isn't expected, but the construction staff of Zipangu National Railways know you can never be too careful!  :lol:

(Just playing around with my 3d printer actually!)

• Like 1

Some personal issues have stopped progress for a little bit, but I'm trying to get back on track.  I went and moved the door into my living room, and started laying out track to test fit everything.  I'm thinking of securing the track and structures to the 2" foam that will be on top of the door and just running the wires between the door the foam in small slits, then leaving the foam loose in case I need to fix anything later on.  I ordered the rest of the structures and some more kato turnout switches, but I'm not sure if I'll switch to a kato throttle as well.  Its kind of tempting to do so for if I get a sound box, but I'm not sure if I'll end up getting one or if I'll go for DCC and sound instead later on.  Also did a little more work on the station, used my new pin vice set to drill the holes for the platform shelters.

attachicon.gifLayout door trial.jpgattachicon.gifYard test 1.jpgattachicon.gifPlatform work 1.jpgattachicon.gifPlatform work 3.jpgattachicon.gifPlatform work 2.jpg

Hey Kiha66, I noticed you are using MRC Packs - I used them as well but have since moved to Kato packs as some of my Tomix trains made some really funny noises with the MRC's.  I thought there was something wrong with the trains but it turned out to be the MRC pack because they run just fine with the Kato and the Tomix pack.  Many discussions regarding this matter.  But if it weren't for those 2 trains, I would still be using my MRC packs because all my other trains run fine.  I even bought the MRC Dual Throttle specifically for the V16.  Not saying you should change your power pack, I'm just sharing my experience.  Good to see you making progress on your layout.

Not super much going on, but it's tremendous fun! :)

IMG_20170211_122627.jpg

IMG_20170211_110955.jpg

Secret T-Trak meeting. :3

Toni, I sent you a PM a while back concerning this. Did you see it?

Rich K.

Kato ex-BR 86 chassis creative play part 2... seems this experiment has come to a success so far. So, need a second one soon. :D

post-4432-0-03539400-1487862965_thumb.png

Made two aluminum "L"s to mount motor and bracket reversed. It needed some resoldering of the bronze contact strips though... nevertheless it runs, even if it still feels like a long time neglected model. Dry gear and motor bearings, dirty contacts and wheels and all that... Cleaning and greasing will be done after painting the chassis.

• Like 2

Finally planted some trees in the Kato park I have along with some people. The railfan in the middle on the top is hoping to get a lucky shot. 

post-3438-0-17164400-1487864968_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Kato ex-BR 86 chassis creative play part 2... seems this experiment has come to a success so far. So, need a second one soon. :D

Any ideas yet on what you'll use for the steaming portion?  Perhaps the superstructure from one of the BR-86's?

Or, will you scratch build it?

Good luck with the project.

I'm glad the motor reversal worked - that gives me hope if I ever try repowering and reversing the small B-mann units.

Finally worked how to match speed curves. I'm running freight loco MUs on both lines. Enjoying the fact that they're matched at all speeds. Sure, this is basic stuff, but for me this is a personal achievement. I've been trying to do this for a really long time. :)

Edited by gavino200

Just got through installing the three small food stalls from Tomytec's B2 set that I got today. I can't read the signs on them but I do hope that one is an okonomiyaki stand.:)

First running session today!  Made some temporary supports out of kato cases and had the first test run!  I confirmed that my C62 can handle even the tightest R249 hidden curve, although some of the switches caused multi-track drifting once or twice.  The ends of the track sections still need to be filed down, but I'm very happy with how the trains ran on the rough track work.  

post-3846-0-01001200-1487928238_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-31794400-1487928243_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-48718200-1487928234_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-85328600-1487928222_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-57251200-1487928226_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Experiment end result: applied some paint and oil and grease in the right places. Runs fine as long as there is some additional weight added. This calls for a boiler full of lead. ;)

post-4432-0-71008100-1487956558_thumb.png  (E)post-4432-0-63459600-1487966383_thumb.png

So, reversing the motor of a common steam loco chassis for hiding it into the tank of a Garratt loco is very well possible. Even in N.

Thus, the "Sagami River Railway Club" (which is currently looking for some place near Nekomori) is really excited now.

EDIT: the SRRC asked me to add some minor paint detail... good to know I'm still capable of such fine stuff...

Edited by medusa
  • Like 3