What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Things have been kind of quite here for awhile.  About ten days ago I dug out my Unitram and set it up on my 24 x 36 cork bulletin board.  The bulletin board is not too stable to move so this is only a temporary dining room table layout.

I knew I could get something else accomplished tonight if I could tear myself away from the boob tube. Completed a project that I started the other day, sticking vertical advertising banners on the various telephone and power poles. 

Bob

Edited by enodenlover

Well suspended work on the club layout construction to set up the new sawstop table saw. One of the other club members and I were able to tip the 400lb saw upright onto the mobile stand (took modifications to get the stand to the right size for this saw, but that's wat drill press and metal chop saw are for!)

Man does it cut smoothly!

I'll finish the fence up Saturday and we can then finish the layout sawing. The fence is quite nice, best I've ever had and thats something I've always upgraded in all my saws. Wish I had upgraded saws years ago!

Jeff

post-24-0-01169800-1486189724_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Doing some rearranging of my shelf layout. Cut the 18" X 60" module in half. It's now 18" X 30". Next step is to mount each of the halves on either end of the two 12" X 60" modules. It'll look like this once I go pick up another shelf bracket. Going to be a dog bone of some kind.

BasementModules.thumb.png.97c6b38a7fcf66b82049d3b89b64d40d.png

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 2

Did some base-bashing on my T-Trak module while the kid was asleep. This week I plan to finish at least all the support walls and paint them in a base colour, ballast the lower track and start adding some vegetation to a few spots. A parking space on the right ridge is planned, as well as a building or two on the left (open) part of the module. These will come last, as I intend these to be detachable.

IMG_20170205_141406.jpg

IMG_20170205_141346.jpg

• Like 12

Finished all the saw assembly and came out great! Really anfantastic saw, thanks Todd for the encouragement to get the sawstop, it really is a quality saw.

So we were able to saw up all the frame pieces for the modules. Monday I can drill all the connecting peg holes, wire holes in the cross pieces and make 3/4"x3/4" blocks to go in the corners to make assembly easy and help take the tortion that focuses in the corners.

Much easier to work on this on the new saw!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

Did some excessive search on Wikimedia Commons for photos of Tohoku locations (since my H5 is coming closer and I cannot always stress that excuse about test drive and wrong junction).

Found some really nice hires (8000+ pix horizontal) panorama shots from Oze National Park. They seem convenient for (ab-)use as alternative layout background posters. :)

Well suspended work on the club layout construction to set up the new sawstop table saw. One of the other club members and I were able to tip the 400lb saw upright onto the mobile stand (took modifications to get the stand to the right size for this saw, but that's wat drill press and metal chop saw are for!)

Man does it cut smoothly!

I'll finish the fence up Saturday and we can then finish the layout sawing. The fence is quite nice, best I've ever had and thats something I've always upgraded in all my saws. Wish I had upgraded saws years ago!

Jeff

Nice saw Jeff! Good choice. A good fence makes it a pleasure to use. Now you can go to town making modules.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Ugh yes, we have 30 modules for the new layout at like 7 different sizes! Fits together like a jig saw puzzle. Making a base support that fits together with slots like a wine box bottle separator. Lots of precise cutting but this saw is up to the task. Osborne miter is great on it as well (that was a great find like 7 years back).

Drill press will get its workout Monday! Back to making jigs as well.

Thanks again Todd for the encouragement to get the saw, I see now it's well worth it. I have worked in a lot of shops, grew up in one and had my on for a lot of my adult life and got use to making due on big equipment, was a mistake to do that with the table saw, would have made my life easier in the long run, but cost and size and jsut the hassle kept me making due...

Jeff

You're welcome Jeff. Just don't test that saw brake. It'll cost you a new brake and a new blade. Make sure you post pictures of all thirty modules so we can all feel like something big is being achieved here.  :)

Todd

Edited by tossedman

Ha never saw the finger demo, just the hot dogs! It only takes one oops. After 40+ years of table sawing and never having an issuer even close AFAIK, figured it was smart to not keep taking risks. After radial arm saws (just about gone these days) the table saw is the most dangerous but the most useful tool in the shop.

I'll keep snapping Picts! Need to move fast as sakura matsuri festival is coming up in April and want to have the new layout ready for it.

Jeff

post-24-0-75418400-1486344927_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-15243200-1486344949_thumb.jpg

Edited by cteno4

But not all by table saws! A friend who is an ER doc did a project in her ER residency on the top items causing ER visits. One of the very top was a serrated knife and most likely acros the palm at where the index and thumb meet. Culprit is that doughy object the bagel and slicing it into while holding it in your hand -- called the bagel cut... im sure galvino can give us a host of other grizzly tales as he sews these liberated digits back on for a living...

But I plan on keeping my digits attached despite doin many jobs in my life that put them in the way of large or sharp objects! I've only managed to loose 3/8" off the end of my left index finger at 14 (that was a freak accident with a framing hammer and a 50 penny nail splitting in two causing the hammer to ricochet 2' over where my hand was) but being young most all it grew back (about the only limb regeneration us humans have, the tips of fingers when young!). Ironically my dad lost a bit more on the same finger two years later when a chain limiter tightened and flipped over a link onto his finger, so we matched for a while but his did not grow back!

Anyhow here is to keeping the flesh intact!

Jeff

• Like 1

Had a little help today.

IMG_20170207_142242.jpg

The first of a few layers of paint for the walls. Empty spaces in between will be filled with vegetation, ballast, etc. I'm thinking of making the roads on the computer and printing them out, as the incline will feature a concrete-style road and the flat one a patchwork of different asphalts as is prevalent on these kind of local roads.

IMG_20170207_145432.jpg

• Like 11

Not much in the last couple of days. I installed a couple of small trackside details, plus I replaced a few old "metal" advertising signs that didn't come out so well the first time. 

Bob

Edited by enodenlover

400 holes in the wood, 400 holes...

Got all the wiring and litening holes drilled in all module cross pieces tonight. I now have drill press shoulder.

Jeff

post-24-0-45459500-1486538779_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-57538900-1486538795_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

When is the show in April Jeff?  I might be in DC for a Conference from the 3rd to the 7th, unfortunately that's Monday to Friday.  Would love to see the modules you all will be displaying.  I will be in Rockville.

Not too much going on this week. Some weathering, adding the front fake-wood cover, some temporary fences and a mask for the road. The latter will be used to create a road pattern on the computer. Placed a few buses to add some colour to the grey mass.

IMG_20170209_162119.jpg

• Like 9

Thats coming along really well Toni. I really like getting colour onto the bare styrene surfaces, suddenly the scene you're making begins to come to life.

• Like 1

It's really nice to see the landscape coming together with colour. I made it all white first as to have the feeling of having an empty canvas, then started painting over it and adding detail. I see it like a 3d painting the more I look at it.

The front is made with a faux wood plastic sheet that is used for floors. I found this in the 100 yen shop and thought it'd be a good alternative for a black panel. I've seen this used before on other modules at meetings.