What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Too bad we don't live closer together, I enjoy doing stickers!

Jeff

Then it could be Sushi & stickers!!   :)

Edited by bill937ca

Not on my layout exactly, but inspired by my success in repairing the broken coupling on my E1, spent some quality time trying to finish up various other coupling-related projects, mainly close-coupling some fixed rakes and converting miscellaneous cheaply acquired locomotives with miscellaneous strange couplings to Arnold ones (or replacing missing ones). At this point I would like to travel back in time to the 1960s and impress upon all N gauge model railway manufacturers the importance of settling on a single unified coupling socket like the NEM one. Anyway it turns out my Kato 0-kei Shinkansen binds hopelessly on my layout, even though the minimum radius is 280mm. So had to put back the Arnold couplings. At least I know how to get the body off the power car.

• Like 1

Bought some Dullcoat spray at my LHS Friday night and put the finishing touches on my little road.  Next are figures for my stations.

Got a lot of the shop cleaned out while winter temperatures peaked (68 yesterday!) so that I can start working on the JRM 3.0 layout construction on days it's warm enough not to get frostbite in the shop! Carload going to the dump,more cycling and reuse donation! Crap isn't stacked to the rafters anymore... Hopefully in the spring I can pull everything out of the shop,more arrange and redo,mbut that's later...

Jeff

• Like 3

Now that there are signs and signboards behind the platform I added some figures to the platform including a stationmaster with his red flag. Next are vending machines.

post-75-0-83262900-1484571186_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

Running my Kato Tokyo Metro 16000 on the layout today. Placed the four meter road on the layout. Adjusted a few figures that don't want to stay upright. Otherwise just a slow day.

post-75-0-04707500-1484672605_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-06603700-1484672639_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-16511500-1484672785_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Fiddeled a bit on the SD40 chassis from Paul, it fits now on the DF-4D loco shell (was slightly too high before). Actually I did a first test run even if the shell isn't yet properly fixed...

I'm still waiting for my Tomix fine track curves to show up and until then I can't make a serious start on my 18 x 24 micro-layout; I have gotten a few things done in the last few days though. Painted the canopy on the Greenmax fire tower the same shade of red as the garage door, and I painted the door on the Tsugawa bus depot a nice dark green. I also removed a couple of Kato diamond-shaped road signs from their posts and glued them onto roadside telephone poles. That's something you see often in real life but very rarely on model railroads. I'm also working on making N gauge versions of 1940s-'50s Japanese metal advertising signs; there's lots of photos to be found online if you dig a little.

Bob

Edited by enodenlover
  • Like 2

Did a coil load for one of my UM-14s. Actually ended up stripping the paint off them after this picture, up close they didn't look right. Also mocked-up a railroad crossing (signage is just white-glued down) to check for clearance (hence the Koki). The Tsugawa crossing really looks better with the Casco railroad crossing signs added to it. 

post-3438-0-27899400-1484837271_thumb.png

post-3438-0-70509900-1484837282_thumb.png

• Like 2

My Tomix track is sitting in customs right now so I won't see that until next week. Meanwhile I bought a can of clear varnish and a brush today and took care of the wood frame on the cork bulletin board that is the base of my micro-layout. Also I made up a few more power poles.

Bob

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

I finally have my Asakaze coach fixed, parts arrived for it this week.  Everything sits in their boxes until a new layout begins.

Examined the noses of my new E6 set... as I guessed, the nose caps can be removed from both cab cars of the E6 set not just the E611 with the coupler in.

Since photos about that a very rare in the web, here is one: -

post-4432-0-80185100-1485001013_thumb.png

That's an easy chance to add another coupler on the E621. (Yes I love those videos about the E6 delivery via the cape gauge main line tracks!)

Edited by medusa

Cleaned and lubricated one of my Kato C56s. I'd gotten this one second-hand from Yahoo auctions. It obviously hadn't been well cared-for, so it was quite cheap. Once I figured out how to disassemble the thing - it's like a Chinese puzzle! - I removed all the gunge and crap from the mechanism, then lightly lubricated everything with LaBelle oil and grease. Once it was back in one piece I gave 30 minutes in each direction on the rollers, and now it runs like the proverbial Swiss timepiece.

I can't understand why anyone would spend good money on a beautifully made model like this, and then not look after it...

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I can't understand why anyone would spend good money on a beautifully made model like this, and then not look after it...

Probably fear of breaking it or never getting it together again.

Btw. i managed to make 16 ttrak legs/corner braces for IST as he is building 4 new ttrak modules.

• Like 4

Sawed up 3 sheets of 1/2" Baltic birch ply into 1.5" and 2" strips to start the new club layout construction. Made a lot of saw dust! Still need another half sheet (bought them out last week). Next to the planer with it all!

Man the old table saw is just about dead! Bearings are really shot, but it's still going! Just about to go for the saws stop contractor saw. Wanted to go with a cabinet saw finally, but I just don't think I want to deal with a 400+ pound piece of machinery in the shop...

Jeff

• Like 1

Having only the dining room table to use, I have not been able to set up anything for about 2 months due to Christmas, family visits etc. - and i did catch the Queen's cold bug for a week :)

But having obtained a job lot of Kato and Tomix and Kibri buildings before Christmas,over the past 2 days I have had chance to just play around with the layout and run a few trains.

Nothing special but I have had a lot of pleasure for a few hours :happy3:

Lot of wires on show and I haven't worked out what to do with them as apparently I am not allowed to drill through the table

post-3935-0-63988200-1485170875_thumb.jpgpost-3935-0-13373200-1485170901_thumb.jpgpost-3935-0-65746700-1485170922_thumb.jpgpost-3935-0-40647000-1485170933_thumb.jpgpost-3935-0-48634500-1485170946_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Problem: on my layout I have a small rake of Minitrix GDR coaches recently acquired at a good price from Yahoo Japan, but unboxed and in need of removal from the layout. They are longer than Japanese coaches, so hard to find appropriate storage hereabouts.

32104188780_b79869cf5f_z.jpg

german-station-mockup-2017-01-23 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Solution: some Kato cases and various foam bits (including the inserts from Kato generic storage bookcases).

32104183680_39bbb4e467_z.jpg

modified-kato-cases by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(The delivery van was acquired from the Kato HQ shop here in Tokyo, a bit anachronistic but was unable to resist).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great solution, squid!

By the way, you were very lucky. These coaches come from a rather hard to find set of 3, which usually goes for price matching its rarity. It's something I haven't been able to obtain myself yet.

3 teiliges Set "Interzonenzug I", Sonderserie Märklin-Händler-Initiative, "Y-Wagen" - I had no idea it was rare. Even better bargain then :D

• Like 1

Some real progress today. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a jar of Mod Podge and now the track oval is glued in place, as are all three grade crossings ( two roadway and one pedestrian ). In the next day or two I'll probably start cutting the Tomytec rice paddies sheets to the appropriate shapes and gluing them in place.  

Bob

Edited by enodenlover

Probably fear of breaking it or never getting it together again.

You're probably right about that. The way these models come apart isn't obvious or particularly intuitive. Whenever I'm disassembling a model for the first time I take a photo of each step so I know what I did, and in what order I did it. That way I can reassemble the thing without too many surprises.

Once I was happy with the way it ran I added all the details. Here's my two C56s together on the photo plank:

gallery_22_66_229864.jpg

They're lovely little models of a lovely prototype. I'm glad I took bikkuri bahn's advice and got them.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4