What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Finally installed the dimmer switch in the platform light circuit.

Began installing street lights too but stopped short of connecting them as the terminal block I installed underneath was the wrong kind to attach 16 wires to...

post-921-0-78812300-1480496516_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-64220300-1480496604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25
  • Like 3
Claude_Dreyfus

It is good to see so much progress on everyone's layouts. For my part, both of mine are sitting patiently for next year; Kanjiyama for more shows (it will have some routine maintenance in February), and my German H0 layout for disposal - some potential interest, so it could live on.

Net result, no progress, although planning and research is in full swing for a new 2017 project; so I suppose trawling the Internet and Google maps could qualify!

Because I don't like to have my trains potentially flying off the track, I made up some removable buffers. This is the first modular part of the layout, with more to come.

IMG_20161130_222526.jpg

• Like 2

The recent lack of time and energy to do anything other than wave a credit card at currency fluctuations is hopefully coming to an end... Not actually on the layout but I managed to spend a bit of quality time working out how to store recent UK acquisitions, particularly various Farish Mk1 coaches which come in bulky cardboard boxes which are a pain to open and extract the coach from without it coming into contact with the cardboard (which has resulted in ink from a stamp on the inside of the box getting smeared on the side of at least one coach...)

31367519281_df7375d26b_z.jpgFarish Mk1s in a Kato Case by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The Kato generic 7 car cases should be a slightly better fit for the remaining vehicles, when I get round to acquiring some. I've looked into more dense options like the Casco 10-car cases but these British coaches are of slightly different proportions to Japanese cars so don't quite fit.

• Like 4

The recent lack of time and energy to do anything other than wave a credit card at currency fluctuations is hopefully coming to an end... Not actually on the layout but I managed to spend a bit of quality time working out how to store recent UK acquisitions, particularly various Farish Mk1 coaches which come in bulky cardboard boxes which are a pain to open and extract the coach from without it coming into contact with the cardboard (which has resulted in ink from a stamp on the inside of the box getting smeared on the side of at least one coach...)

31367519281_df7375d26b_z.jpgFarish

Anytime I see a red MK1 it makes me want to watch Harry Potter. I better start now, I only have about 14 hours of movies. :)

Anytime I see a red MK1 it makes me want to watch Harry Potter. I better start now, I only have about 14 hours of movies. :)

Maroon, please. If it helps I've just put in an Ebay bid for a GWR Hall class, though it will be green of course. Dunno if I can source a 1:148 Ford Anglia anywhere...

Recent back spasm and swelled knee has slowed down my progress, but today I started on an adjustment to the track layout on the bigger layout. So far I am working on half of a four track station, second half pending an eye ball of space at the edge of the table.This is in preparation for adding Tomix TCS automatic control.  It will probably include a new single track overhead railway station with a scratch built base.  Just have to find the track I am looking for! 

Set up the Tomix 3017 piers and 3073 crossbeams over my Tomix Fine Track Wide PC double track line. Above this will be my Tomix Overhead Railway and one of the stations.

post-75-0-99252800-1481414428_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

Toni's Japanese beer crates via Shapeways are painted. First soaked it in dish washing liquid and warm water for 6 hours, then applied a thin layer of Testors Spray Enamel Gloss Yellow with 6 hours (or more) between coats.

post-75-0-15958700-1481465682_thumb.jpg

A couple of unfinished individual beer crates.

post-75-0-12220800-1481465798_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 7

Scratch building project for a snowy night.  About ten years ago the RMM staff blog published an article called 最も簡単なストラクチャー工作 or The Simplest Structure detailing building a carport / garage with Evergreen Styrene which at the time was new to Japan. The article is here.  Overnight I built the structure with .040 (1mm) sheet stock.  The work in progress last night and the finished product.  All dimensions are listed in the article.

post-75-0-22392900-1481565703_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-51836300-1481565727_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Started first measurements about the cardbord bar which carries the tracks back behind the background poster...

Of course the viaduct has to run smoothly into the top of the bar. And, the single track inside the bar needs enough free space to keep the pantos out of trouble. Thus I set up a small portion of the tracks in the limited space of my bench:

post-4432-0-05730300-1482428445_thumb.png

Seems it was not quite the case, I will have to glue an additional layer of cardbord on the top of the bar.

In the back you can see the catenary drying. I painted all insulators white. Just a minor detail but to my opinion it has quite an effect in total appearance of the track.

Edited by medusa
  • Like 2

Yes, we also painted them on the HJMTC ttrak modules and it makes them less like single pieces of plastic. Some people paint the verical poles too (i've seen green ones on some youtube videos).

• Like 1

I modified my viaduct station to use Kato Y points instead of #4s but now I need a cross over to join the loop from the lower level.

Really haven't done anything during the last two weeks.  But at least today I put the cutting boards back on the dining room table.   :cool:  A sign of progress to come?

I complete took down my layout last night! Had to empty the hobby room for a guest. Was hoping I'd get to test my new trains before I take it down but FedEx screwed up the shipping time and ruined my plan.

Yesterday:

-module assembly of two single size ttrak modules, ready for painting

-wood purchase for two double size ones (the wood shop only screwed up two pieces and both are larger, so they are fixable)

-new cabling and connectors on my fremo Y module, track is ready to be ballasted and the frame to be painted

-fixed a track laying mishap on one hungarian fremo station module, ready for turnout motor install and track painting

-tested the DCC install in a soon to be hungarian M30 locomotive, it only needs the number plates