Jump to content

What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)


bill937ca

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2021 at 7:07 AM, RMB said:

I've started to slowly add some small people to my layout. These are all from TomyTec's Human Series. I'm surprised how melancholy they are, now that I've started to place them.


Hmm.  With little bits of putty, you could have their hair blowing in the wind for the more hopeful look of an anime opening sequence.
: 3

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
maihama eki
On 5/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, RMB said:

I've started to slowly add some small people to my layout. These are all from TomyTec's Human Series. I'm surprised how melancholy they are, now that I've started to place them.

They only look melancholy because they are alone.

 

Given the cost of figures - melancholy makes fiscal sense. 🙂 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
cteno4

I think the melancholic look also comes in part from them having no faces. Something sort of twilight zone in up close pictures with the blank, almost featureless faces but body language and situation setting up all the story. Also being stationary but in action tweaks the brain some (why mannequins creep some people out big time).
 

I’ve often wondered about the philosophy of how to place figures. Start with individuals in individual scenes and then fill in life around them or more grand schemes. It is nice with fewer well placed figures in very good little story scenes as its easy to find them and focus in, but then again it can look sparse and melancholy or sort of deserted. When doing busier scenes, like a platform or busy street, it gets increasingly tough past a point when adding figures in to get them their own scene or path in relationship to others and not screw up the previous mini scenes/paths. I know it makes a difference when I’ve done a platform slowly vs put down 500 figures in a couple of hours (which we’ve done before). Busy sidewalks are really tough to get to look right. I think next time I do some I’ll try to dig up photos to get an idea of the spacing and positioning as just plopping them to a particular density it’s hard to be random. From a distance it’s ok but as you go in closet it can fall apart.

 

jeff

  • Like 3
Link to post
gavino200
On 5/26/2021 at 7:07 AM, RMB said:

I've started to slowly add some small people to my layout. These are all from TomyTec's Human Series. I'm surprised how melancholy they are, now that I've started to place them.

20210526_063154630_iOS.thumb.jpg.e63b4081b576771ee6d99a8978e0e335.jpg

 

Well, you've created quite an odd scene here. What's going on? Why is the schoolgirl just standing there like that on the edge of a hill overlooking the station? Who is the man? Is she seeing her father off at the station? It's shadowy but he looks older. Is this an infatuation? Is she just a railfan waiting for a glimpse of a beautiful train? The other scenes could be melancholy. But this one is downright mysterious!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
cteno4

My my Gavin is quite the dramaturge! Yes yes inquiring minds and such…

 

All the layout is a stage, err or something like that.

 

jeff

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Who is the man? Is she seeing her father off at the station? It's shadowy but he looks older. Is this an infatuation? Is she just a railfan waiting for a glimpse of a beautiful train? The other scenes could be melancholy. But this one is downright mysterious!

 

Definitely open to interpretation, although to be clear, both these figures are from Tomytec's set of Students so there shouldn't be anything questionable going on beyond maybe some youthful unrequited love. He does seem to be tall for his age, though. Must be the genes and too many burgers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
47 minutes ago, RMB said:

 

Definitely open to interpretation, although to be clear, both these figures are from Tomytec's set of Students so there shouldn't be anything questionable going on beyond maybe some youthful unrequited love. He does seem to be tall for his age, though. Must be the genes and too many burgers.

image.thumb.png.24501d508757769eed73baf678059e1e.png

Man: Little girl what are you doing over there.

School girI:  "I was picking plants for my science project and may have discovered the world ends here. The earth's crust is paint and the mantle is just plaster!? 

  • Haha 6
Link to post

@RMB

I try and think of a personality for my figures. Once I imagine who character is and what they are doing, they find their right place on my layout 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to post
Sheffie

Problem is, now I have the lyrics for “Strange Little Girl” by The Stranglers running through my head. 
 

Best not to go there

  • Haha 3
Link to post


 

 

On 5/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, RMB said:

I've started to slowly add some small people to my layout. These are all from TomyTec's Human Series. I'm surprised how melancholy they are, now that I've started to place them.

 

I started looking at the Tomytec line…um…how many of you have figures going to the bathroom (i.e. the “pee break” set)?

Link to post

Those are the noch line of figures and they have a number of more obscure/x rated figure sets. Tomytecs are much more placid… I think they worst they have are the drunk salarymen kind of propping each other up…

 

jeff

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Those are the noch line of figures and they have a number of more obscure/x rated figure sets. Tomytecs are much more placid… I think they worst they have are the drunk salarymen kind of propping each other up…

 

jeff

Yeah, I’ve seen those Noch sex figures advertised. It seems like a really niche market. I prefer my model railroading to be something I can share with my kids.

Link to post

Filed down some rails to prevent a derailment at the bottom of the 4% slope. 
Not very dramatic but quite effective 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 2
Link to post
4 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Filed down some rails to prevent a derailment at the bottom of the 4% slope. 
Not very dramatic but quite effective 

 

How much did you file?

 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...