bill937ca

What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

Pauljag900

Superb work Sammy,I love it 👍👍😀

cteno4

Ha he did the bus tour! Now the bus maze?

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Waisneed

Because I regularly tripped the circuit breaker in the living room with my layout when starting it up, me and my flatmate installed an UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to let the network equipment continue running on battery power until I flipped the switch back.

20201111_115549_001.thumb.jpg.ebed2950a5aa1f4084f6e7796d00d2e0.jpg

The computers and servers are in a different room on a different circuit. So to not interrupt any online gaming sessions of my flatmate.

• Like 1

Yavaris Forge

What on your layout draws that much current that the circuit breaker trips off? Or is that a weaker version than a standard household one?

Waisneed

It's just all the PSUs which need to fill their coils and draw high current at first before settling down.

The circuit breaker should be at least a 13A one (@230V).

Sheffie

I made a start. 

8C372FC7-2910-47F7-ADC3-076AEF18D03D.thumb.jpeg.3073fbc90654cd680abaf87702629c1d.jpeg

I’ve put together three wooden frames and bolted those together to make an L (right hand branch shown). Holes have been drilled for wires to pass through internally, and I’ve also put Gaffer tape on the base of each piece of wood that’s in contact with a table. This may reduce noise somewhat; it certainly shouldn’t make matters worse. 

Next up: cutting and glueing the foam board to the correct sizes. This will probably be three pieces, to match the size of the frames. 

• Like 10

Sheffie

This is the state of it, as of today. I’ve been busy. 

2AB0DF53-18A3-43EB-BB03-E30C74F36F20.thumb.jpeg.fd7c302906f8d2d00250386e546be85b.jpeg

I still need to engineer the up and down gradients, which are currently free floating. But the power and signals are wired in, and the track is all in place 

• Like 7

gavino200

It looks amazing, Sheffie! Are those 1 inch sheets of Corning pink foam? What are you planning to use as an adhesive?

• Like 1

Sheffie
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

It looks amazing, Sheffie! Are those 1 inch sheets of Corning pink foam? What are you planning to use as an adhesive?

Yes, it’s the foam board with the pink panther on. Remarkably strong for its weight. I’ve been sticking it together with Loctite PL300, which forms a strong and flexible layer between the boards. But mainly I’m just pinning the boards together. 

• Thanks 1