What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Because I regularly tripped the circuit breaker in the living room with my layout when starting it up, me and my flatmate installed an UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to let the network equipment continue running on battery power until I flipped the switch back.

20201111_115549_001.thumb.jpg.ebed2950a5aa1f4084f6e7796d00d2e0.jpg

The computers and servers are in a different room on a different circuit. So to not interrupt any online gaming sessions of my flatmate.

• Like 2
Yavaris Forge

What on your layout draws that much current that the circuit breaker trips off? Or is that a weaker version than a standard household one?

It's just all the PSUs which need to fill their coils and draw high current at first before settling down.

The circuit breaker should be at least a 13A one (@230V).

I made a start. 

8C372FC7-2910-47F7-ADC3-076AEF18D03D.thumb.jpeg.3073fbc90654cd680abaf87702629c1d.jpeg

I’ve put together three wooden frames and bolted those together to make an L (right hand branch shown). Holes have been drilled for wires to pass through internally, and I’ve also put Gaffer tape on the base of each piece of wood that’s in contact with a table. This may reduce noise somewhat; it certainly shouldn’t make matters worse. 

Next up: cutting and glueing the foam board to the correct sizes. This will probably be three pieces, to match the size of the frames. 

• Like 11

This is the state of it, as of today. I’ve been busy. 

2AB0DF53-18A3-43EB-BB03-E30C74F36F20.thumb.jpeg.fd7c302906f8d2d00250386e546be85b.jpeg

I still need to engineer the up and down gradients, which are currently free floating. But the power and signals are wired in, and the track is all in place 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

It looks amazing, Sheffie! Are those 1 inch sheets of Corning pink foam? What are you planning to use as an adhesive?

Yes, it’s the foam board with the pink panther on. Remarkably strong for its weight. I’ve been sticking it together with Loctite PL300, which forms a strong and flexible layer between the boards. But mainly I’m just pinning the boards together. 

• Thanks 1

Not really on my layout. More like a break from my layout. I did a little Styrofoam transplant to make some snug little homes for my ICE 2.  A surprisingly fun (and messy) distraction. 

yOjMsgT.jpg?1

Qla3Csq.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

I stored mine in a CASCO case and foam

It's on my to-do list to understand the various casco cases on the market. How did you know which case to buy? Is there a guide somewhere?

On 12/31/2020 at 6:01 PM, Sheffie said:

Yes, it’s the foam board with the pink panther on. Remarkably strong for its weight. I’ve been sticking it together with Loctite PL300, which forms a strong and flexible layer between the boards. But mainly I’m just pinning the boards together. 

Love that tube of silicone like you use for plumbing.

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

How did you know which case to buy? Is there a guide somewhere?

Trial and error.

All modern Mainland EU stock fits in the 8 car CASCO foams e.g. YP-547 or YP-548. Some stuff like restaurant cars require a bit of cutting because of their length. Double Decker stock also fits in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After dismantling the layouts as the winter set in I decided to re organise things in the shed.I inherited a piece of board and decided to do a small layout.

5’x2’6” with seperate pieces along the back and side for buildings which wo nt move.

small double dog one with a single viaduct above with the station on a raised plaza area.

roughly laid out this is how it may look,

24621977-7F56-4BA7-A17E-BEAD1FCBF06F.thumb.jpeg.8532cd4be0f466dfcc0917870f7b4798.jpeg

DB25AED9-F3BD-4C89-8D81-1F36EB7CAF52.thumb.jpeg.489944a45876be634e55f5fc9a6b73e3.jpeg

4EC4A214-1AB2-424D-BAA4-C6A9535CFE36.thumb.jpeg.cb82fb8bdfe7ba2db4955448eae4ed8a.jpeg

3CE5D612-D3D7-414F-8929-3652CC369B4B.thumb.jpeg.2910ec9be9aa9eab48ee948b07695095.jpeg

402E76C2-CBAC-46B6-A7D3-1A1F84C73488.thumb.jpeg.eb47a15b215513383cedf32351949cf6.jpeg

• Like 9
serotta1972

I've lost count the number of layouts Paul has completed and some had multiple versions.  Looking forward to his 2021 layout.

• Haha 2
Martijn Meerts

I've been trying to get him to come visit for 2 weeks and finish my layout 😄

Actually, I did get a bunch of things done late last year and early this year, but things have temporarily slowed down again. I'm having my living room, hallway and kitchen floor renovated soon, and getting floor heating installed. This is quite a bit of stress since I don't actually have a lot of room to store all the furniture while they're working on the floor. On top of that, I'm also getting a new kitchen, but due to Covid the stores here have been closed, so I haven't actually been able to order a kitchen yet. The floor will be done early April, the kitchen will be late may at the earliest probably. Once all that is taken care of, things should be a bit better again, although it'll be summer, and the train room is too hot during summer...

I have however worked quite a lot on the online model train database idea. A couple of people have given it some very early testing already. There are still some things I need to implement, but it's fairly close to the point where more people can start using it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Martijn Meerts

That would have to be a fairly large unit to keep the train room cool, but considering it looks like summers here are getting warmer for longer, it is definitely something that's on the list. But first the floor, kitchen and garden..... And then whatever comes up next, something will probably have broken down by then.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I've been trying to get him to come visit for 2 weeks and finish my layout 😄

Actually, I did get a bunch of things done late last year and early this year, but things have temporarily slowed down again. I'm having my living room, hallway and kitchen floor renovated soon, and getting floor heating installed. This is quite a bit of stress since I don't actually have a lot of room to store all the furniture while they're working on the floor. On top of that, I'm also getting a new kitchen, but due to Covid the stores here have been closed, so I haven't actually been able to order a kitchen yet. The floor will be done early April, the kitchen will be late may at the earliest probably. Once all that is taken care of, things should be a bit better again, although it'll be summer, and the train room is too hot during summer...

I have however worked quite a lot on the online model train database idea. A couple of people have given it some very early testing already. There are still some things I need to implement, but it's fairly close to the point where more people can start using it. 

these things are always stressful buddy,but generally worth it once it’s done👍👍😀

What? Paul is building another new layout? Man.... Paul mate, u need to introduce me what you are having for breakfast!  😛

• Haha 3