What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

1 hour ago, James-SNMB said:

The other day I set up the new unitram loop and gave it a run with the pair of Portrams I have. After a few minutes, I got silly, and decided to see what else I could put on there. To my amazement, I got a Kato ES44AC and Maxi I unit to run around the R180 curves! Ok, well the front and rear axle of the locomotive would pop off at every curve and the coupler would yank off the first truck of the intermodal unit around each curve, but it would re-rail itself on the straights and keep right on going, no problem. and for what it's worth, without the loco, the Maxi I would sail around the curves by itself with no issue. Not that I plan to run it like this...

IMG_20200904_115055385_small.thumb.jpg.8528100a16a719192f180a29b08aba57.jpg

Ok, then things got ridiculous. Here's a TGV duplex really challenging the "there's a prototype for everything" mantra:

IMG_20200904_114136603_small.thumb.jpg.5f494e7371923b11a4d4dfdfbf675b92.jpg

It too made it around the R180 curves for reasons I don't understand. I don't think there was any derailing/re-railing action, but I could here some plastic clicking as it wound around the bends, so it wasn't perfect by any means. Still, I didn't expect this to work at all...

Anyways, I've put everything back to normal and told the citizens to pretend this never happened.

my kinda guy!😂😂👍 anything for a bit of fun😂 i ll be running b train shorty s onmine along with trams😂😂

Edited by Pauljag900
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

If you can work on the radii, it seems quite prototypical for the US:

Ok, it happens for the North American Prototype... Got one for a TGV???

1 hour ago, Tonytramman said:

actually the do the american street marking version of unitram track I believe 

They do (or at least they did) have street plates with NA markings, yes, but I plan to make my own roads. I've also seen other people suggest that it's possible to sand off the markings, so that's another option for people wanting to use the street plates and change things up.

16 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

my kinda guy!😂😂👍 anything for a bit of fun😂 i ll be running b train shorty s onmine along with trams😂😂

Well I was running the trams on the mainline before I got the Unitram, so why not turn the tables right? Although I assumed the ICE 4 and Eurostar wouldn't work, so there's  still many things left to try...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, James-SNMB said:

Well I was running the trams on the mainline before I got the Unitram, so why not turn the tables right? Although I assumed the ICE 4 and Eurostar wouldn't work, so there's  still many things left to try...

Absoloutely,nothing wrong with having a bit of fun!!👍👍😂

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

If you can work on the radii, it seems quite prototypical for the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_running#/media/File:Train_on_S_Mason_St_at_W_Laurel_St,_Ft_Collins.jpg

Agree. I've spent way too much time sitting waiting for trains like that to pass. They go really slowly in the cities. Sometime, when in a hurry I would detour around them. 

They're usually a few blocks from the most built up downtown areas, but not always. The one in this video is just like James' scenario.

• Like 2

I know I am a bit late on the life size Gundam, but I believe it is now at Diver City (large mall) on Odaiba.  It was there the last several times we were there (as Unicorn Gundam) and from what I can tell it is still there.

Speak of the devil, I just picked up a 1/144 Unicorn (and an RX-78-2 when I feel like going retro). Waiting for floor polish to come in so I can coat it before the panel lining. I'm going to need to build quite a few parts to represent Odaiba for my conglomeration layout.

• Like 1

I dragged the whole family to diver city to see it and we were a bit disappointed, because we were in Japan I expected it to do a bit more. Had some nice food there.

Martijn Meerts
On 9/17/2020 at 10:41 AM, Keith said:

I dragged the whole family to diver city to see it and we were a bit disappointed, because we were in Japan I expected it to do a bit more. Had some nice food there.

It's only their 2nd attempt.. The first one I think only moved it's head, the current one transforms to a certain extent, and they're working on one that can actually walk (it's seen several delays though)

Martijn Meerts

As always, I didn't get much done, but the hobby room continues to get more clean and organised each day. I've also cleaned up most of the workbench, so I can more easily work on projects.

I've also started looking at what I want to do with the actual N-scale layout. My initial idea was to have a large train station with 4 shinkansen tracks, 4 express tracks, 1 freight passing track and several urban tracks. That's going to take up too much space though, so I'm rethinking it all. I'm not looking at 2 shinkansen tracks similar to Atami station, or possibly 2 station tracks with 2 passing tracks similar to for example Hamamatsu station.

For express I'll probably want to keep 4 tracks, but I'll shorten them a bit to just shy of 2 meters (this would fit the Express Aki steam train) I'm thinking of still doing a freight passing track which would be a little bit longer so it can also hold longer special trains such as the Orient Express or Morning Daylight.

Both the shinkansen and express will be raised tracks, and (partially) underneath them will be the urban tracks. These will be for shorter trains, not sure how many cars yet, need to check which trains I want to use and how long those are. Freight will just run on the regular tracks through the station here, no special freight passing track. Most of the rest of the layout will also be focussed on the urban trains.

I'm still getting used to AnyRail, so drawing track plans is taking a while. Also, since I don't really know what I want, and since I'm using only flex, things generally just take a lot of time 🙂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Martijn Meerts said:

As always, I didn't get much done, but the hobby room continues to get more clean and organised each day.

About the same here.  Still in midst of the Herculean task of cleaning and organising the basement so that we'll have room to store our modules.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Worst thing is, it might become a mess again in a few months time, since I need to get a new floor installed on the first floor, so all furniture and everything needs to be temporarily stored somewhere. Also need a new kitchen, so more stuff to store ...

• Like 1
On 9/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, Pauljag900 said:

For anyone intrested here s My “Just For Fun”layout on YouTube.

It appears you’re missing a giant Gundam Wing.

D25351D8-D0A2-47E5-A273-2EBBCD9E8125.jpeg

I have a 1/144 tetsugin. Want to do a plaza area where different fun art installations can go!

ok Paul what corner are you putting a small harbor scene in to fit the rubber duck in?! I need to get curt to put a rubber duck scene on his layout, he has a great plaza area for festivals that’s right at the waterfront with a small marina. Perfect for an event on the plaza and the rubber duck! 

jeff

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I need to get curt to put a rubber duck scene on his layout, he has a great plaza area for festivals that’s right at the waterfront with a small marina. Perfect for an event on the plaza and the rubber duck! 

Please! I want to see that. It would be an amazing scene.

2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I have a 1/144 tetsugin. Want to do a plaza area where different fun art installations can go!

The testujin monument is very really cool. I was walking along the JR Kobe line when I stumbled upon it by chance. Absolutely made my day.

• Like 1

Well actually😂😂😂😂

my Unitram stuff is starting to arrive and hopefully will have the track on the baseboard by end of weekend.

so thinking ahead I ve been looking at fallers water pump and trying to somehow work it into a water scene of some description,so far nothing concrete but after those suggestions,watch this space!!😂😂

I ve been looking for a suitable Transformer figure but no luck so far🤞🤞

44 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Please! I want to see that. It would be an amazing scene.

this is the scene. The big glass thing is meant to be a convention center and the idea being it could convert into a museum with planes hanging in it or big Dino’s or wild car show. The top comes off for easy change out. Ducky could go in nicely there on the water in front. Unfortunately the boat right in front in glued into the epoxy, but could just cut a hole in the bottom of the duck to pop over it.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/kurtslayout/pages/page_59.html

I think he added the little pier and swan boats to the marina. Was pushing for the Himiko water bus, but tad big for the water space left. Even though his freighter is called the kobayashi maru for a reason...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222644

jeff

• Like 1