What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Got a better lightbox

The Arnold Rapido BR 194, or the ÖBB Class 1020. Nicknamed the Grünes Krokodil. Had cleaned the immense garbage in the motor and replaced the traction tires. Wouldn't want a loco built for heavy hauling to not haul heavy things now wouldn't it?

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-24 at 23.03.36 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-24 at 23.03.35 (1).jpeg

• Like 2

I've quietly been putting together a new 4x2 layout. A total of 2 days work so far. 

Waiting on multiple deliveries now. Thank god freight from Japan is on again.

IMG_20200725_192752.thumb.jpg.9eb8e8b2dffedf2795540fe9812d99e0.jpg

Layout.thumb.jpg.2da329969aa9ee98811ba62820ffaa76.jpg

Edited by Morcs
  • Like 7

Figures glued in place and performing on stage👍😂

E46241D3-C874-4CA8-8FBA-E05DC3F07D63.thumb.jpeg.5228f7b7f66addd2559d4f7e7663b0e4.jpeg

waiting for figures and trees which are on their way.

i may add a couple more fair rides in the future but at £50 each they can wait for now while I decide on the other two grassed areas,at the mo I ve absoloutely no idea what I’m going to do.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Ha! Now that’s a party! Where are the groupies at the stage front? Or do they all need walkers?

now I remember that song!

jeff

15 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ha! Now that’s a party! Where are the groupies at the stage front? Or do they all need walkers?

now I remember that song!

jeff

not walkers,but they do need to sit down,😂😂

10 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Now that's a real party! Very nice! Now you need some ice cream and hot dog stands!  🙂

Ice cream parlour is the building on the right hand side of the park👍😂😂

I waiting for the ice cream van and hot dog trailers to come in stock👍😀

Starting bashing the first Outlands building for the layout, this will be the Toa-Bussan Mito Sales Office, importers of worldwide nuts and dried fruits.  As suspected, these kits are very easy to work with: nice plastic, not too thick, flat and slabby — very easy to cut.  Took a little elbow grease knocking a couple of extra windows in, but it was simple work.

This one started life as a 7 story L-shaped building which had many features evocative of the modelling subject.  Removed one story from the main structure and reärranged it into a rectangle.  Cut a 10cm wall down to 7.5cm, and added the removed strip over onto a 5 cm wall to make a matching 7.5cm one.  A partial 7th story will be added back on top of a quarter of the rooftop and with a large billboard atop that level.

The excess wall pieces will go into the bits pile and may come in handy for other builds.  We have a good asortment of Outlands kits on hand earmarked for various buildings around Ibaraki.  These are a kitbasher's delight!

ToaPhase1.jpeg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Cat said:

Starting bashing the first Outlands building for the layout, this will be the Toa-Bussan Mito Sales Office, importers of worldwide nuts and dried fruits.  As suspected, these kits are very easy to work with: nice plastic, not too thick, flat and slabby — very easy to cut.  Took a little elbow grease knocking a couple of extra windows in, but it was simple work.

This one started life as a 7 story L-shaped building which had many features evocative of the modelling subject.  Removed one story from the main structure and reärranged it into a rectangle.  Cut a 10cm wall down to 7.5cm, and added the removed strip over onto a 5 cm wall to make a matching 7.5cm one.  A partial 7th story will be added back on top of a quarter of the rooftop and with a large billboard atop that level.

The excess wall pieces will go into the bits pile and may come in handy for other builds.  We have a good asortment of Outlands kits on hand earmarked for various buildings around Ibaraki.  These are a kitbasher's delight!

ToaPhase1.jpeg

I ve had a couple of these corner buildings,can t wait to see how this turns out when finished👍👍😀

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 1

Struggling to think of something diferent for the larger of the two areas on my layout,in a light bulb moment my grandaughter came rushing In from school last week all excited and said “grandad,you ll never guess what we’ve been watching in school,THUNDERBIRDS!!, apparently the teacher had mentioned that it was old and to ask your grandparents about it😂😂 ping!, and so the space visitor Center was born,😂😂took a bit of effort to source the bits needed and a bit of work neeeded to adapt the building kits to suit, but it should look something like this,

A571AFF2-71F4-4138-85BB-23CD04141BD8.thumb.jpeg.98f222a817ee9e057c0ca953cfdb8c32.jpeg

A642769F-726B-4B6C-979D-BF4D1CDB274C.thumb.jpeg.9308fc3592db986bb70496f20f91c116.jpeg

Bits just laid out at the moment until I decide for deffo where they ll go.

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

I ve had a couple of these corner buildings,can t wait to see how this turns out when finished👍👍😀

It will be a fun model, but I'm not building this one as a corner building though.  The original pair of long sides are 10cm x 10cm, with 5cm short ends and inner sides of the L.  The original plan was simply to unfold it, using two of the 5cm sides to make a new 10cm one and end up with a 10cm x 5cm rectangle and some extra wall parts for the bits pile.  But closer study of the Toa-Bussan building revealed that it has a very fun bright blue fire escape down the back side.  Cutting the main building footprint down to 7.5cm x 5cm rectangle gives us room to add the fire escape.  We've got a Gold Medal Models brass fire escape kit en route now!

• Like 1

Hmm, Thunderbirds!

We play the coöperative board game quite frequently, it's a lot of fun.  Roxanne had never seen the show before, so we've started watching the original series on YouTube.

There's also a really fun and top-notch no-budget lock-down Super Marionation show on YouTube: Nebula 75 that's up to 5 episodes now:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQv_O7i_iXMFBSbtolnpjA

Edited by Cat
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Now you need about 1000 of the chinese architectural figures for the crowds!

jeff

So far I ve got about 130 that arrived yesterday😂

• Like 1

I cat proofed my layout today with a lid.

Every day they are jumping up and knocking trains over, and I was dreading when it's finished, would be broken and chewed catenarys everywhere.

Piece of ply with aluminium L extrusions on 3 sides to prevent it slipping and falling in.

IMG_20200801_172843.thumb.jpg.fb658e9c785e2d9705119269f8926d18.jpg

• Like 9
27 minutes ago, Morcs said:

Every day they are jumping up and knocking trains over, and I was dreading when it's finished, would be broken and chewed catenarys everywhere.

Piece of ply with aluminium L extrusions on 3 sides to prevent it slipping and falling in.

That's a cool idea! Does it slides open? Or the top comes off? 

15 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

That's a cool idea! Does it slides open? Or the top comes off? 

Just lifts off. The underside is unpainted so doubles up as my assembly table for cutting/glueing work.

Will keep the dust off too, and means it can go into storage under a bed with even more peace of mind 🙂

• Like 2

Not exactly at layout stage yet-

Been completing the "benchwork" for my permanent layout-

Using Ikea "Vangsta" extendable steel frame tables:

large.02108F6F-BDE7-45FF-A654-1C6864CC1642.jpeg.5bfb95b637dc8c3a7ead1268ad04344a.jpeg

now i need to figure how to rig up a controller shelf to mount the manual, TNOS, and DCC controllers (I'll be merging all three in a bit of a hybrid layout...

Edited by defor
  • Like 6
On 8/1/2020 at 1:47 AM, Morcs said:

How exactly does that controller shelf work? it looks exactly like I'd like to do!

Today I fitted some lights and glued everything in place and added a few figures.

0403DEE7-2A81-4E48-B852-1FED02FF0DCE.thumb.jpeg.db647bf70e00386ebac0c7d1f9abcd9f.jpeg

D47DA988-BD54-47CB-B67E-9F7A30518CBD.thumb.jpeg.cad60caf8224c99c570eee086ec82f1e.jpeg

25B35A06-AD53-4719-8D43-6682CFCF9399.thumb.jpeg.c656097c9a5e2d33887fc3a2634951ee.jpeg

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 7
On 8/2/2020 at 11:45 PM, defor said:

How exactly does that controller shelf work? it looks exactly like I'd like to do!

Its really simple. Piece of mdf with some corner brace brackets attached. Bolts run through the brackets with square nuts to keep them affixed to the shelf. Then holes drilled through the base board. I literally push the shelf into the base board, the bolts are long enough (>25mm) that they support the shelf adequately. IMG_20200726_120553.thumb.jpg.d19a5b4e8766ed175770d5efa93291a6.jpg

Edited by Morcs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apart from fixing some Minitrix turnouts and replacing some locomotive bulbs. I've been challenging myself in SCARM. I've been studying how trackplans would work and be applied later on. Like how KATO viaducts work, or what should be the approach for HO scale if I were to make an elevation

Shortened Factory Set (Indra Prasetya).PNG

boom1.PNG

Pocky.PNG

• Like 1

Finished laying track.

Got to finish wiring, but waiting for  a power supply and turnout switches to arrive so I can test.

Still planning buildings and scenery.IMG_20200808_105654.thumb.jpg.0064537432a10525db9aa3eec1ec5eb0.jpg

• Like 6
On 1/3/2017 at 8:02 AM, medusa said:

Glued some little people to footplates. Since my layout is temporary, I cannot put them in fixed locations.

For the foot plates usually I take the transparent plastic sheet from the package. Glue is 5min epoxy.

post-4432-0-56795300-1483459339_thumb.png

Second photo shows how the residents of Nekomori welcome their new Shrine Maidens...

post-4432-0-83183800-1483459353_thumb.png

I did this with mine too. I liked setting up people in various locations, then shifting them around from time to time. 
Using clear siliconized acrylic caulking to both set them on plastic and within buildings while I built them out. Worked REALLY well! No sagging, quick setting, and easy to move around if you change your mind later. 🤙

• Like 2