What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Not really "my" layout, but we're currently setting up our annual large temporary layout again.

Cool! is the usual german gang coming? Is Kai coming? Have not heard from him in a long time.

I hope lots of trains and beer!

Jeff

• Like 1

More weathering today. Maybe tomorrow during the day I can pick up a Tomytec building kit I can assemble and put on the layout as a temporary placement on the right platform. Unfortunately this will be how the module will be put on display tomorrow, but it's a closed event anyway, so meh. :P

IMG_20170210_150826.jpg

And a view under the bridge. The weathering took off a lot of that plastic shine, which I think is awesome! Although I can get the attractiveness of that 'perfect look', I don't think that's what modelling a landscape is about. ;)

IMG_20170210_150932.jpg

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 14

And a view under the bridge. The weathering took off a lot of that plastic shine, which I think is awesome! Although I can get the attractiveness of that 'perfect look', I don't think that's what modelling a landscape is about. ;)

IMG_20170210_150932.jpg

I love this photo.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks awesome!  We need some graffiti on that wall or is there no graffiti over there. :)It

It is not entirely absent but so unusual as not to be worth modelling.

I love this photo.

Thank you :)

Wow, that looks awesome!  We need some graffiti on that wall or is there no graffiti over there. :)

It is not entirely absent but so unusual as not to be worth modelling.

Graffiti is very rare and usually consists of tags. More elaborate artwork is usually made with consent of the owner of the property as a commission. The only 'graffiti' here is more from an angry citizen who angrily scribbled "DON'T PARK HERE" on a wall somewhere. xD

After a break from modeling, I have been setting up a semi-permanent Unitram layout on a 36 x 24 cork bulletin board for the last couple of days. Added catenary pole bases and catenary poles tonight.

post-75-0-97611100-1486776578_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-51636300-1486776641_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

While playing around with new viaduct support parts, I modded one of the viaduct catenary bases:

post-4432-0-09033400-1486828922_thumb.jpg post-4432-0-47743600-1486828935_thumb.jpg

On one of the "wide" catenary bases, I removed the plastic parts in the center hole for the S-joiner. Needed also to cut down a bit the lower edges of the protruding side bases. This way, it can be combined with two S-joiners and two supports for single viaduct side-by-side.

Even if two narrow pillars side-by-side look interesting too, it was not the main reason. I want to use it with one-sided (asymmetric) support in places where some ground track passes by an angle and does not have enough space with the standard double-viaduct supports.

Edited by medusa
  • Like 1

Between my boxes I found an electric substation kit (Tomix 4023) I ordered lately... started some nice Sunday evening fiddeling on it:

post-4432-0-45650500-1486928644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Reversed the direction of my short working loop (which just meant I turned the whole layout around).  Adding Tomytec vehicles to the layout.  Vending machines in front of buildings and at least one Maneki Neko are coming soon.

post-75-0-35991400-1486936433_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-13263000-1486935240_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I finally got the shelf back on the wall with a 30" X 18" module on either end of the two 12" X 60" modules. There will be a loop at either end. I'm going to make the tracks the same distance from the edge as our T-Trak modules so we can use them to finally start running them. I'm going to start another build thread for this.

ShelfLayout.JPG

I've got about 25 Sankei kits to build to flesh this thing out. It's going to take a while me thinks. I'm slow and easily distracted.

sankei.jpg

Meanwhile, Noah's been back to it on his table. This layout's been torn out and replaced with a few others over time but he's come back to this one again.We'll see where it goes from here.

noahs.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 6

I've created a photo corner on the Unitram layout.  Removed an overhead pole for better camera angles and added enough large buildings to form a view block and create a little fantasy world.  Still lots of stuff to do on the little layout.  I tested the power yesterday and the inner loop works, but no power on the outer loop yet.  So trouble shooting later today which may require a bit of disassembly to access under track feeders.   :hmh:  :sad1:

I plan to add one or two of the larger Diotown buildings for this corner shortly.

post-75-0-95549100-1486997483_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

Thanks to an uncharacteristic ( at least for me ) burst of energy and enthusiasm, I've been able to get most of my little layout's scenery done over the last three days. The ground cover and gravel walking paths are in place on roughly three quarters of the surface and I'll probably finish the rest in the next day or two. Since about half of the layout is rice paddies I only need a half dozen or so small trees and I'll order those as soon as i can figure out what kind are appropriate for east-central Japan.

Bob

Resolved power issues on the outer loop.  The under track power feed wasn't probably seated. Tested both tracks using a Kato Kumoha 12 50  on the inner track (but this car won't clear the tram stop once it is added) and a Modemo NT113 on the outer track.

Now there will be less work and more fun running.   :)

post-75-0-32171200-1487117245_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-32555100-1487117268_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-12133700-1487117282_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

I finally finished the ground cover on the layout and it looks pretty decent; also enlarged the gravel lot next to the bus terminal to make room for the Tomytec food stalls I just ordered. Tonight I'm attaching all the telephone and electric transmission poles.

• Like 1

Not much. Just painted some pantograph details on some Shinkansen.

post-3895-0-14820700-1487258091_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find any specification on which exact colour JR uses there but it seems RLM 04 / RAL 1004 was a good guess.

• Like 4