What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Yep, just tore apart some WS bushes and fall foliage. The little speck in the back is what I was working with for the flowers. Surprisingly once you get going it doesn't take long, the whole bed only took about a half hour to do. At first I thought they looked not quite uniform but from 3 feet away and under the greenhouse plastic they all look the same. 

'Dear commuters'

Thank you for using Tobu Railway today.

We apologize to inform that due to a large obstacle on the tracks, we will be running late to the next station... we appreciate your understanding and ask for your forgiveness.

We are now investigating on the status of the large obstacle and will update you once we have the latest updates.   :)

• Like 1

The hot pickle has been removed and the basic structure for the new curved island platform is done! I think this was the biggest challenge for the layout so far, as the platform has a strange shape. Now it's onwards to cleaning it up and detailing.

IMG_20170126_122111_DRO.jpg

As you can see, the platform will leisurely house two 4-car 20 meter car consists.

P.s. little motivational picture:

IMG_20170126_124159_DRO.jpg

The low platform roofs just scream 'private railway' (if you ignore the skewed nature of them).

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 6

I started putting the detail parts and number plates on my Tramway 8620 class 2-6-0s. They have a number of alternative parts for the headlights, smokestacks/chimneys and smoke deflectors, allow which look good. For the moment I'm going with the stovepipe chimneys and the full deflectors, but I can swap them around to alter the appearance of one or both engines when I feel like a change.

Cheers,

Mark.

All I've done recently is add details to my Hoki 800's and used the numbers from the PP-600 pack instead of the in box sprue, added details & lights to a Kiha 110-100 - I found a set of super micro tip tweezers released by flex-i-file which work great. Minimal tweezer snap. Added lights to my KRT6000 set #2 as well as the number boards for my DD13. Decided to number it as DD13-248.

post-4306-0-96225800-1485441515_thumb.jpg

Oh and I scattered some buildings while I did a few laps with some trains.

post-4306-0-62260300-1485441490_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So all the lumber for the new club modules and support system are all cut and milled. The Baltic birch ain't quite as good these days as it use to be (I have scrap from the last decade's worth of projects to compare to) but still much better than most all detention all lumber to be had these days. Next to cut all the lengths but will hopefully do all that with the new saw, it's coming Friday!

Cheers

Jeff

post-24-0-94973300-1485461452_thumb.jpeg

post-24-0-96608200-1485461473_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Not on the Layout as such Added the extra detailing to my EMU's (and lost one of the E231 ventilator tops?  the process to small and fiddly =p)

and did a dryrun with the overhead catenary wires, was going to take measurements for the baseboard but didn't have enough time.

WP_20170126_20_25_38_Pro_zpsz8mokrr3.jpg

WP_20170126_20_26_00_Pro_zpsqyybrryu.jpg

Edited by Wonderbolt
  • Like 1

I just finished cutting out and gluing in place rice paddy sections fashioned from the Tomytec sheets, a project I've been working on for the last couple of days. A few didn't come out quite like I wanted so they had to be redone, but I'm reasonably satisfied with how they turned out. Also finally decided on the "route" of the layout's only stretch of paved road; I'd been debating this one for a while.

Couple of month ago I bought both 3 sets of Tomytec cemetery, because I find an inspirational picture on Google, this one:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/78289138.jpg

So I started to glue the parts of these sets and one of the club members made me a tree. Or in this case two trees that connected into each other. He made also some other trees based on my pictures taken in Tokyo couple of years ago.

post-212-0-72510300-1485510836_thumb.jpg post-212-0-43084300-1485510842_thumb.jpg post-212-0-78850000-1485510846_thumb.jpg

Now I am wondering about 2 things:

- Should I paint miniature white and gold dots and lines on the graves to look more realistic (if I can) or leave it as it is?

- What type of fence, hedge or wall should I use/make to separate the cemetery from the tracks?

Of course the tree will be on the modul, not behind it. :)

Edited by cteno4
Removed embed
  • Like 3

Have been in the Goth scene for a lot of years in my life, so I had some experience in watching cemetries. :D

I'd say that gravestones under a tree will have a shadowy moisture-rich micro climate which attracts algae and moss growing on the stones. The moisture also will make metal inlays corrode, so gold/brass will become brownish or even green (copper alloys).

White stone often has black spots in places like this. Don't know what it is, black algae or dust or some kind of chemical corrosion of white marble. I just observed it several times.

If you want a really old cemetry, I'd even suppose plants growing on the stones.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I've really just been working on figuring everything out for the main station for the past weeks. Weather hasn't been great here, so haven't gone to the hardware store to get wood yet, so it's really just measuring Kato's station elements and figuring out the height of the cork I need to use to get the top of the Peco track to be on the same height as the top of Unitrack, so that it works with the Kato platforms (not sure I'll be using them yet actually.) Just need to wait now for the Kato overhead station to arrive for some final measurements.

Also been looking at what I want to do with regards to the city. I have some ideas, but without being able to physically try things, it's a bit hard to visualise. 

Still have a lot to do before my trip to Japan, so I doubt I can get much time in to start building the framework for the new sections, and of course, after I get back, work starts again :)

• Like 1

Today I "borrowed" the old style mailbox from my Kato post office, painted it the proper shade of red and fashioned a base for it out of a tiny piece of plastic I found in my parts box.  Looks pretty good and helps to establish the layout's time period. Also touched up the paint on the Tomytec wooden catenary bridges so they look a little better.

Bob 

One finished, one still on the workbench:

gallery_22_66_13274.jpg

gallery_22_66_958397.jpg

gallery_22_66_1026165.jpg

You can see from the photos how well detailed and finished these Tramway models are. My one quibble is with the boiler handrails - they so fine and delicately moulded that they bend very easily. I think I'll be replacing them with wire and metal handrail posts. Otherwise I'm very pleased with how they look, and equally pleased with how they run.

I got these models from forum member Keitaro's online shop. I've also ordered one of the forthcoming Tramway C59s from him. If they're to the same standard as the 8620s then I'll be more than happy.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 6

Today again was test day, just wanted to see if I have enough track for a ground mainline loop on my layout...

post-4432-0-38025100-1485620719_thumb.png

Turned out my Kato tracks are sufficient but with the mainline on the table the Nekomori side branch will "dry out". Need some more for it...

BTW, I took the opportunity to send the finished DF4-D on a run for testing the couplers. Also, this went very well on both radii R348 and R315.

Edited by medusa

Today again was test day, just wanted to see if I have enough track for a ground mainline loop on my layout...

attachicon.gifmainline-test.png

Turned out my Kato tracks are sufficient but with the mainline on the table the Nekomori side branch will "dry out". Need some more for it...

BTW, I took the opportunity to send the finished DF4-D on a run for testing the couplers. Also, this went very well on both radii R348 and R315.

Looks like Nekomori is located on a major faultline xD

Edited by Wonderbolt

Attempted to iron out some horizontal alignment issues in the baseboard and home-made viaduct sections, drilled some holes for point wiring and generally dithered. "Unfortunately" I seem to spend more time with the Squidlet on my lap watching trains go round than actually doing anything...

• Like 5

Well it does have the the advantage I can check that various kinds of stock runs around the loop properly (which involves slight gradients, curved points and double slips)... But thank heavens for Tomix/Kato track, with traditional track, at least I can keep the trains running during construction :D

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2