Drivers Route Knowledge Diagrams and Line/Track Diagrams

NXCALE

Hi all,

Just sharing some DRKD I found.

These are from the Sydney Trains Network (Australia)

https://railsafe.org.au/diagrams/drivers-route-knowledge-diagrams

Plenty of info and interesting stuff. Below a couple of examples.

A tunnel before entering a yard which is next to the sea.

An interesting idea for a layout.

Cheers,

Nxcale

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 2

Interesting, and useful, I am going to Sydney for a couple of days train and tram riding and filming in December.

I'd give you a link to QR's route maps but even as a driver I can only view them on a QR internal site.

Interesting, and useful, I am going to Sydney for a couple of days train and tram riding and filming in December.

That sounds nice.

I'd give you a link to QR's route maps but even as a driver I can only view them on a QR internal site.

Thank you anyway.

I will be nice to see more DRKDs from different countries.

Cheers,

Thank you anyway.

I will be nice to see more DRKDs from different countries.

Cheers,

Agreed.

I can't even scan them and post them because we are not allowed to print them out.  I am always amazed at how much more operational information I can get on other railways than I can on Queensland Rail who I work for.

A tunnel before entering a yard which is next to the sea.

Not quite the sea. Lavender Bay is part of Sydney harbour, a long way from the entrance from the ocean. The single line from Waverton neck down to the yard is probably the most scenic bit of railway in Sydney, but it is normally only ever used by empty car movements. At present the line is being used during the day for refresher training in powering from the rear and driver incapacitated procedures for train guards. As most of the line is on a falling grade of 1 in 50 it's a good place to practice train handling, especially braking.

What's worth mentioning is that just behind the stop blocks at the end of the yard is that famous Sydney icon, Luna Park. There's a ferry wharf just past the entrance, which is convenient for train crew going home. Instead of slogging up some very steep hills to get back to either North Sydney or Milson's Point, it's a short level walk to the ferry, and a nice quick trip back to the Quay.

Also worth a mention is the lush and somewhat eccentric garden that adjoins the yard, the handiwork of Wendy Whiteley, widow of our most famous junkie artist, Brett Whiteley.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

The platform between siding 4 and 5 looks like something that was meant to be for a passenger terminus. Also siding 5 and 6 looks to be shortened compared to the other 4. After some googling, it looks like this was the location of the Lavender bay station and i've found a photo of it. The new Milsons point station looks to be the replacement.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Sydney_Harbour_Bridge_under_construction_North_Shore_aerial.jpg

ps: i'm surprised the sidings and the access tracks were not covered over long ago with highrise development like in Tokyo or Vancouver

Yes, the yard is what remains of the second Lavender Bay station. 5&6 roads - which were originally 6&7 roads - were cut back in the mid-1980s when the grounds of Luna Park were extended. Prior to that 7 road ended next to the "Big Dipper" roller coaster. You could look down from the roller coaster onto the trains stabled there.

What is now 1 road originally had a runround loop, which was lifted in the early 2000s to make way for the waterside walkway that now connects Lavender Bay with the Milsons Point ferry wharf.

As for development, I'm amazed that the yard survives at all. If anything, the line will be closed and the whole site sold off for development. Thats the way things are done here, and with the current pack of spivs, shysters and shonks we have in "government", it can only be a matter of time.

This web page has an brief outline of the site's history:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=4801022

Also worth a look are photos of the original cable tram terminus in the arcade on Milsons Point.

nthsydneyferryterminus.jpg

old%20ferry%20terminal%20c.%201920.JPG

A couple of tramlines in Sydney terminated at ferry wharves, but the structure at Milsons Point was the most elaborate.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

I am always amazed at how much more operational information I can get on other railways than I can on Queensland Rail who I work for.

I checked and there are not Queensland Rail line diagrams available in internet (at least no yet).

However, I found some other information.

An ARTC line diagram

Here the link with more ARTC info: https://www.artc.com.au/customers/maps/system/hunter-valley/

and a link for the Aurizon line diagrams; https://www.aurizon.com.au/~/media/aurizon/files/what%20we%20do/network/network%20downloads/reports%20and%20qca/review%20of%20rail%20transport%20infrastructure%20and%20line%20diagrams%20-%20june%202016.ashx

Cheers,

• Like 1

I could have told you that, QR is a bit secretive at times when it comes to disseminating information even to those who need to know.

I have copies of the older verions of the Aurizon diagrams from back in 2005 when it was still all QR which are different by the way from the route maps used by train crew learning the road.

Stop press: When I was looking for the track diagrams I found some route maps from the same time period when I was learning to drive.

This one from Doomben to Eagle Junction shows the last (although no longer working) semaphore signals on the electrified network.

rct0010F.pdf

• Like 2

The semaphores are heritage listed at Ascot.  They wont be gong anywhere any time soon.  I think the repeater ones are gone.  And the pulled out the points so the loop is non operational last December.

I've got the Kippa Ring Line in both up and down directions.  It is 5 pages per direction.  I could scan a few pages, probably the junction and terminus station with connecting yard pages.  As the rest is just boring twin line bi-directional running. 

I found an interesting website today, a website where we can see the traffic activity of Network Rail in real time.

In other words, Live Track Diagrams!

http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps

here a quick example: http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/ecm1

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s.

website description:

"These track diagrams show you the location of trains on the railway in real-time. It's the same data as the signaller and train operators see.

Each black rectangle represents a "berth" where a train can be detected. If a train is detected in that berth, the train's reporting number (headcode) will be shown - for example, 1N01. Some trains operated by non-passenger operators, such as DB Schenker or DRS, will show an obfuscated headcode in a format such as 601A.

Where the line is blocked for any reason - such as for engineering works or due to an infrastructure fault, the signaller may put a special description in a berth. "SHUT", "BLOK" and "CLSD" normally mean the track is unavailable. "-T3-", "-XO-" or "POSS" usually mean there is an engineering possession.

Some of the diagrams also show additional information such as signal aspects - red for danger, green for any other colour, and when trains are ready to depart - a red "TRTS" indication."

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 3

The semaphores are heritage listed at Ascot.  They wont be gong anywhere any time soon.  I think the repeater ones are gone.  And the pulled out the points so the loop is non operational last December.

I've got the Kippa Ring Line in both up and down directions.  It is 5 pages per direction.  I could scan a few pages, probably the junction and terminus station with connecting yard pages.  As the rest is just boring twin line bi-directional running. 

The repeaters are still there as far as I know though I haven't been down there in over a year and a half.  Even though the signals are no longer used until the powers that be put white crosses on them they are all still to be obeyed and treated as operational, whenever one is damaged or vandalised special authority has to be given by control to pass it, caused a bit of a stir a couple of years back when it was realised that none had number plates to identify them on the forms (you didn't need them in the old days, you just refered to distant, outer home, home, starter and advance starter and we all knew what we were talking about).  The loop had not been used for many years, about five years ago it looked like a truck had run over the point rodding to the Eagle Junction end and mangled it beyond use.  Before electrification there was also a middle road between the main line and loop and a dock platform on the racecourse side facing Eagle Junction.

• Like 1
anthonyevans

I'm a fan of Japan and also QR, and I have always liked to have driver route knowledge sheets, especially the Brisbane Suburban Area. Nice diagram for EJ to Doomben though!