Kato announce new tram

Fenway Park

Fenway Park

Kato have announced they will make a version of the Portram to compete with Tomytec. It also looks as if there will be tram type Unitrak to go with the model as well.

No details as to price etc.

Sorry forgot to attach the photos.

post-19-13569923007502_thumb.jpg

post-19-13569923007596_thumb.jpg

post-19-13569923007851_thumb.jpg

Noooo! I've pre-ordered 2 Tomytec trams, which look nice, but my personal perferance is Kato. :icon_shaking2:

Well lets sees what the Kato trams list for.

Thanks for posting Fenway Park.

Well I ordered 3 Tomytec.  Kato even has people figures inside too!  At least now, I have the Untrack track to look forward to....

Here are some more images when I typed in Unitram

124826332561716224412_DSCF0716.JPG

124559644812016418319_tomytec-lrt-3.JPG

124826328530616324619_DSCF0715.JPG

124826337556716425984_DSCF0717.JPG

It also looks as if there will be tram type Unitrak to go with the model as well.

Gaaaaaaakk! When? I just put down my tram line with regular Unitrack.

Those Portrams look nice, Ive been debating if I should get a set from Tomytec or not now I don't have to make that choice  :grin

Those Portrams look nice, Ive been debating if I should get a set from Tomytec or not now I don't have to make that choice  :grin

Well you just have to wait for yours then!  :clock:  :hmh:

Well you just have to wait for yours then!  :clock:  :hmh:

LOL, tisk tisk tisk. :bootyshake:

serenityFan

Can pre-orders be cancelled?

Also, it almost looks like these kato versions have headlights (in the 3rd picture) ... don't think the tomytec ones have headlight or do they?

Can pre-orders be cancelled?

Also, it almost looks like these kato versions have headlights (in the 3rd picture) ... don't think the tomytec ones have headlight or do they?

Nope no headlights, I have sent an e-mail to HW Japan.  Hopefully I will get a respond soon.

serenityFan

Nope no headlights, I have sent an e-mail to HW Japan.  Hopefully I will get a respond soon.

just to confirm, do you mean no headlights for both kato and tomy?

serenityFan

Kato Unitram has head and tail lights.

Tomytec never mentioned it does.

Thanks for clearing that up.  :laugh:

Wow, go Kato! I guess Tomytec's trams have been getting too much hype for the competition to ignore.

More variety in the Unitrack line-up couldn't be a bad thing either.

CaptOblivious

What kind of Unitrack would Kato be offering with the Portrams, in street track maybe?

Judging by Fenway's second image in the first post, I'd say: "Yes!"

alpineaustralia

Now I am very happy, especially given my luck with DCC and Tomix. I assume the price point will be the same or slightly highter than Tomix in order to compete effectively.

Now I am very happy, especially given my luck with DCC and Tomix. I assume the price point will be the same or slightly highter than Tomix in order to compete effectively.

That, I am not sure because Kato's offering seems to be superior.  We can bet its cost will be comparable to Kato's other trams.

Martijn Meerts

The Kato one definately looks better, but the Tomytec one has lots of colours to choose from, which is quite nice.

The interior of the Tomytec ones also looks better, but that'll likely change once you install the motor ;)

The Kato one definately looks better, but the Tomytec one has lots of colours to choose from, which is quite nice.

The interior of the Tomytec ones also looks better, but that'll likely change once you install the motor ;)

Im hoping that the Kato versions come in different colors as well.

Now, I have a neat idea for phase 2 of the layout. I'll assume the new KATO unitack for the tram will be integrable in to the Diotown road system?

Indeed great news! nice to see trams are getting popular and the more modern stuff is getting popular! now if tomix, modemo or kato would tackle the green mover that would be great. the hodle looks nice, but was bloody expensive and really growls.

i expect the kato wont be cheap like the tomytec ones though. im guessing it could be twice the price, but for better detail and lights! lights could get added to the tomytec ones pretty easily for the lights and wiring, its the drilling out the lights in the chassis to put in some sort of translucent plastic which is the real work. there was a blog out there where someone documented adding lights to a tomytec tram, i think by drilling out the lights an then shaping small leds that had a small square lens extension to fit into the hole then a tiny dab of translucent paint. would be much simpler if it just came that way.

from the looks of the picture the seat detail is in there so the mechanism looks to lay very low, which would be nice. so many trams have the interior taken up by mechanisms and thats a pitty as street car scenes are those really detailed scenes you want to get close to!

cheers

jeff

poking further at the blog that has the announcement it appears it will be listed at 10,000 yen, so like 2x the tomytec unit.

{boggle}

I'm sure the Kato is much nicer, but for a tram that small, $100+ is a lot.

poking further at the blog that has the announcement it appears it will be listed at 10,000 yen, so like 2x the tomytec unit.

cheers

jeff

In that case, I'm really glad I pre-ordered the Tomytec Trams!