Tsurumi line construction

Khaul

I have come up with a couple of ideas for the factory internal network.

Option 1 includes a run-around track. Operation is rather straightforward, but only the sidings on either left or right can be worked at a time. A trains arrives with inbounds, leaves them in the loop, loco runs around, picks up outbounds, shunts in the indounds and takes the loads out to the yard.

large.gallery_4222_224_20452.jpg.49a013a42ab2da3d609561be3c885307.jpg

Option 2 omits the internal run-around track and it works as a double Inglenook. Green coloured track are for loading and unloading. The blue track is for temporary storage when working on the left Inglenook. The inbound dark red track is used both for temporary storage when working the right Inglenook and as a head shunt when working the left. Finally the light red piece of track is the head shunt for the right Inglenook. Now the loco has to enter either pulling or pushing depending on whether the left or right sidings are to be worked. Run arounds are of course done in the yard outside the factory. I have also drawn the two easy to store modules.

large.gallery_4222_224_63637.jpg.b22dc9ca03f272351d0458f60f5209f9.jpg

Edited by Khaul

I think the internal runaround is more interesting. You could add another siding onto the runaround and have two inglenooks and a runaround that way. (essentially your two plans combined)

Interesting. Let's see, I am not sure about the middle track of the left Inglenook coming off the loop. I need the space between the tracks (dark and light grey in the diagram below) to be wide enough to fit a loading dock, I am drawn an easy way to achieve the double Inglenook with a loop scheme. I have also replicated the scheme using Tomix track. I like the tighter radious y-points to give a more industrial feeling. Is Tomix track as good as Kato to connect modules? I would like to have a seam in the middle divining two modules for easy transportation between the shelf and the dining table.

large.gallery_4222_224_10815.jpg.fe51663ecfb88eff62c677a747d27052.jpg

Edited by Khaul

The difference in connecting Tomix track & Kato, is the non-removable locking tab present on all Tomix track. The literature that Tomix release -of what I've read- has a recommendation in regards to modules, of ending the track a set distance from the edge & bridging the gap with a short length of track, preferably the extendable S70. 

• Like 1

I was completely unaware of that Rod. So, thank you very much. I live in a 3.5m wide terrace so I can only do temporary layouts or modules. It looks to me that Unitrack offers the best compromise for me.

Edited by Khaul

Tomix now do an S35-J which has a removable tab on an end to enable connection of other track to Tomix. Then there's the ever present Kato 20-045 Tomix-Kato conversion track. So the Tomix yard fits in a ~1200mm x 300mm footprint, it's shorter than the Kato one, and using the V70 adds ~70mm. I've a thought, use the S18.5 at the split minimising the rebate.

post-4306-0-46247300-1496397849_thumb.jpg

Now, I took the use of S140's as an indicator for where you intend the join to be & on the feeder track I removed the S280, repeated the use of S140 & S70 and added a 20-045 to enable connection to the rest of your unitrack. 

Edited by Rod.H

That looks neat Rod. If I understand you well the S18.5 goes over the split, right? The tracks on each side would need to be set off some 9mm from the edge. How do you connect and disconnect such a module? When using Kato unijoiners I just push the modules together to connect and separate them in the Unitrack way of pulling "sideways". I imagine it would not work like that with fine track.

And now a construction update. I've been waiting for some LED strip lights to arrive from China. They took more than a month and I got the 8mm wide ribbon rather than the 5mm. But well, I don't want to wait another six weeks to get the ones I wanted so I just carried on with the installation.

IMG 0931

First I installed the lights in the station entrance.

IMG 0933

Then I fiddled with the platform lights. I opted for 2 sections of 3 LEDs installed in the centre and connected by wires. I built small "walls" on the sides so the lights themselves are not visible from the sides.

IMG 0932

I am also experimenting with light covers. It's just bent clear plastic from Kato track blisters, painted in the inside. I have two other prototypes, but I did not attach any of them yet.

And this is how it looks. Note that the tracks are now all painted, I removed all the clutter from the platform, put a layer of Tamiya putty on it to simulate concrete, added yellow lines...

IMG 0934

General view

IMG 0935

IMG 0936

IMG 0939

IMG 0937

The walls cover the LEDs from the side view.

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 3

That looks neat Rod. If I understand you well the S18.5 goes over the split, right? The tracks on each side would need to be set off some 9mm from the edge. How do you connect and disconnect such a module? When using Kato unijoiners I just push the modules together to connect and separate them in the Unitrack way of pulling "sideways". I imagine it would not work like that with fine track.

Tomix track connects and separates pretty similarly to Unitrack. Though all of my Tomix track's the wide version with it's own fiddly bits, I still find it easier to disconnect than double Unitrack. The set back is just to protect the tab from getting damaged, it's probably easier to think of it as a non-removable unijoiner.

I have installed some covers over the lights. Passengers seem to be happy with the improvement, so far.

IMG 0950

IMG 0952

IMG 0953

IMG 0954

• Like 5

Planning update:

-I have figured out a new way to place the fiddle yard so I can have a roundy round loop, whoo-hoo! That allows for some relaxed operations: a freight can just go around while a EMU can go back and forth from the station to the hidden yard. More serious operations are still possible and even enhanced by the new left curve working as a head shunt.

-The yard is simplified, and does not need a run around as the there is one in the factory.

-There are two tunnel sections covering a quarter of a circle each so they can be built as modules. Industry can go on top on one of them and some housing on the other. A pedestrian bridge could link the housing area to the station.

-Road access is not worked out yet, but it should not be a problem. The factory can be serviced by a road in the back, some tracks can be covered, the yard shortened...

-The factory sidings can still be built with Tomix track or course.

-What to do with the space in the middle? Storage, light industry, derelict vacant lots...

Tsurumi End Of The line with roundy

Tsurumi

-What to do with the space in the middle? Storage, light industry, derelict vacant lots...

One possibility is a short branch line winding from the station to a small town over the left rear tunnel, served by a MU of your choice.

It could exit the main perhaps where the left rerailer is currently located, and maybe have it's own side platform before starting the climb.

I'm a bit unhappy with the unnaturally steep cliff hiding the tracks to the fiddle yard.  If you're comfortable with it, you could transform this to an urban scene that would justify a concrete retaining wall with structures above, and perhaps continue this theme to the fiddle yard.  This might also be a natural lead-in to the industrial zone of the city.

An alternate approach might be to continue the curve on the yard approach, so it will be diagonal across the empty area.  This would decluster the high density of tracks on the top part of the layout.  You could theoretically combine this with the branch, by having it cross the yard at an angle after it gains sufficient elevation. 

You'd want to try the branch options out in Scarm, as I'm not sure if the topography would work or not - scenically speaking.

One possibility is a short branch line winding from the station to a small town over the left rear tunnel, served by a MU of your choice.

It could exit the main perhaps where the left rerailer is currently located, and maybe have it's own side platform before starting the climb.

I'm a bit unhappy with the unnaturally steep cliff hiding the tracks to the fiddle yard.  If you're comfortable with it, you could transform this to an urban scene that would justify a concrete retaining wall with structures above, and perhaps continue this theme to the fiddle yard.  This might also be a natural lead-in to the industrial zone of the city.

An alternate approach might be to continue the curve on the yard approach, so it will be diagonal across the empty area.  This would decluster the high density of tracks on the top part of the layout.  You could theoretically combine this with the branch, by having it cross the yard at an angle after it gains sufficient elevation. 

You'd want to try the branch options out in Scarm, as I'm not sure if the topography would work or not - scenically speaking.

Interesting thoughts, thanks Charles. There will be no steep cliff but of course a retaining wall. The setup is heavy industry which in the Tsurumi area is separated from residential areas by the rail line. That's why I think housing over the southeast corner makes sense. There would be industrial clutter over the NW corner. Industrial clutter in the middle would be prototypical, but maybe a bit tiring to make.

Your plan has changed so much, that I temporarily forgot the Tsurumi setting, or wouldn't have mentioned the inappropriate branch line ;-)

You might want to have the landform generally rise in elevation on the NW side of the open area, so that the land covering the tunnel doesn't appear too suddenly.  There's places in Japan where the far end of a yard is set into a cliff, with lots of concrete work, and recall at least one photo of that situation being posted on the forum over the past couple of years.

A new thought - have a siding coming off the main parallel to the fiddle yard, so you could to some extent camouflage it with tallish industrial flats, similar to what you're showing at the rear of the layout.  I do realize this is contrary to standard practice in having the main take the curve while the siding is on the straight.  However, it could (help) hide that big wall showing on Scarm.  I know you haven't mentioned any possibility of this being an exhibition layout, but find it impossible to not think in terms of presentation.

An overhead walkway to another structure across the track, and/or the Tomytec industrial piping set, could help integrate the scene, and provide a natural scenic connection from here to the main industry.

You could also make it an operational connection by shifting the main line a tad west here, and can even avoid possible shunting on the main by having one of the "Industrial Sidings Right" curve around with the main - adding a switchback into the corner if using the more southerly spur. 

If you use the upper spur, it could make a big turn at the backboard and then straighten out parallel to the wall - er, industrial flats.  Having car spotting locations both before and after the curve on this track would increase the shunting complexity / fun.

I just had another "out there" idea to distract you - use the short section of straight track on the west end to bridge the water access to a central basin, which would certainly be apropos to the Tsurumi theme.  This could be a lift / swing bridge if you want to portray the basin as operational, or it could alternately be historic, with ship / barge access now closed off.  In any event, please don't place any landlocked large ships in the basin ;-)

> Industrial clutter in the middle would be prototypical, but maybe a bit tiring to make.

The basin would reduce the area requiring "Industrial clutter", while also providing for some variation by adding an opportunity for maritime clutter!  This could help depict the abandoned post-industrial nature of much of the Tsurumi area.  Perhaps model some disused tracks - maybe inside the industry reflecting downsizing, and an abandoned car or two.

OK - I promise to stop now, and (maybe) go to bed.

• Like 1

An alternative plan would be to make the station a stop of a double track line coming from E and then turning N rather than the terminal station for passenger services. EMUs could then come and go from fiddle yard to fiddle yard in a point to point fashion.

Tsurumi roundy fake double track

Tsurumi fake double

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 1

Actual construction progress is slow, but the station is starting to take shape. Most importantly, my better half is surprised and quite impressed with the results  :)

large.gallery_4222_224_307275.jpg.04bdd5b0f596f4737ab55f33e5071557.jpglarge.gallery_4222_224_759993.jpg.2ac2cd4370dbded9b88dcbdceae4f6d0.jpglarge.gallery_4222_224_407480.jpg.727694fc82f9b9d6cee23ed849a3c95d.jpg

Edited by Khaul
Fix image URLs
  • Like 6

I am giving a new thought to my Tsurumi line modular layout. I like the industry sidings and the yard from the last iteration. So I am keeping them with minimal changes. I am thinking now about an external double track loop plus the internal yard and sidings. There would be two controllers for the two loops and one for the yard and sidings so one can see three trains going at the same time without much of a fuss.

Tsurumi roundy double track

Tsurumi roundy double track 3D

There are at least two operational modes:

Mode 1: two EMUs run around the loops in opposite directions. There may be some shunting going on in the internal sidings.

Mode 2: the EMUs are parked in the two fiddle yard sidings. A freight train enters via one the outer loop loop. The loco takes the visible crossover and leaves via the inner loop. A shunting loco takes input cars in and forms a train with the ouput cars leaving it ready for the main line loco to come back and pick it up.

Ideally the EMUs in mode 1 should be running a double track point to point operation so a train going from the East to the West using the outer loop would come back W to E in the inner loop. It looks like this is a bit complex to automate and quite a pain to run manually as well. Using two identical EMUs running the loops in opposite directions would create the same effect and it would be much easier to run manually.

• Like 1

I finally got to do something. Actually I am re-engineering the platform lights. Things are taking shape, but the school vacation just started and the kids wanted to "help". So we put together a little diorama that can be added to the modules. I put together the tiny Miniatuart shrine and a few Tomytec cherry trees. We still need to add a couple of figures for a better effect.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

IMG_1249.JPG

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 9

Excellent scenery bit khaul! Love doing these as they can get used in so many ways and simple and quick to do a bit of scenery! Kudos!

jeff

Exactly! Simple and fast way to try out new techniques and hone your skills and if something goes wrong no big deal! Also make great scenery swatches to visualize what you might want to do in new scenes.

cheers

jeff

On 07/06/2017 at 3:38 PM, velotrain said:

Your plan has changed so much, that I temporarily forgot the Tsurumi setting, or wouldn't have mentioned the inappropriate branch line ;-)

You might want to have the landform generally rise in elevation on the NW side of the open area, so that the land covering the tunnel doesn't appear too suddenly.  There's places in Japan where the far end of a yard is set into a cliff, with lots of concrete work, and recall at least one photo of that situation being posted on the forum over the past couple of years.

A new thought - have a siding coming off the main parallel to the fiddle yard, so you could to some extent camouflage it with tallish industrial flats, similar to what you're showing at the rear of the layout.  I do realize this is contrary to standard practice in having the main take the curve while the siding is on the straight.  However, it could (help) hide that big wall showing on Scarm.  I know you haven't mentioned any possibility of this being an exhibition layout, but find it impossible to not think in terms of presentation.

An overhead walkway to another structure across the track, and/or the Tomytec industrial piping set, could help integrate the scene, and provide a natural scenic connection from here to the main industry.

You could also make it an operational connection by shifting the main line a tad west here, and can even avoid possible shunting on the main by having one of the "Industrial Sidings Right" curve around with the main - adding a switchback into the corner if using the more southerly spur. 

If you use the upper spur, it could make a big turn at the backboard and then straighten out parallel to the wall - er, industrial flats.  Having car spotting locations both before and after the curve on this track would increase the shunting complexity / fun.

I just had another "out there" idea to distract you - use the short section of straight track on the west end to bridge the water access to a central basin, which would certainly be apropos to the Tsurumi theme.  This could be a lift / swing bridge if you want to portray the basin as operational, or it could alternately be historic, with ship / barge access now closed off.  In any event, please don't place any landlocked large ships in the basin ;-)

> Industrial clutter in the middle would be prototypical, but maybe a bit tiring to make.

The basin would reduce the area requiring "Industrial clutter", while also providing for some variation by adding an opportunity for maritime clutter!  This could help depict the abandoned post-industrial nature of much of the Tsurumi area.  Perhaps model some disused tracks - maybe inside the industry reflecting downsizing, and an abandoned car or two.

OK - I promise to stop now, and (maybe) go to bed.

I have just re-read this post. Great thoughts! Many things to consider when I get back to Sydney. I am now in Melbourne, enjoying the trams.

I have finally put back in place the platform canopy with the new lights. I took a few pictures with the mobile phone to see how it looks.

large.IMG_1287.JPG.9a1a627c943f9d48d1db6767bc48ce79.JPG

Waiting for the train.

large.IMG_1289.JPG.3bc0f758fbb3ced87aaf13f14823c8d3.JPG

It's arriving now.

large.IMG_1292.JPG.bb2b0621c82f2e120c7d6f5590c05661.JPG

Nobody moves!

large.IMG_1293.JPG.351b0534d0c0a5e54121e0fb7045e187.JPG

Passengers getting ready to get off.

large.IMG_1298.JPG.0afffff59c4788a3f86296e9db25424e.JPG

No lights. The plan now is to glue the platform, put some ballast on the sides of the tracks (note the homemade gutter/retaining wall at the front), install a fence soil and grass.

large.IMG_1297.JPG.d842891f0d2e1ac60ebf46c05927d107.JPG

I may paint the cable grey and attach it to the pillar. The green roof can cover the connector, but I'd need to do bit of bashing.

large.IMG_1295.JPG.80875b2b349e2ea57a25645dc9f418a2.JPG

The light inside the building in noticeable. I am get to install another inside the office space.

large.IMG_1296.JPG.9a727615c5972b1c5d42452557193780.JPG

The module as of today.

• Like 5

WOW!

I love the weathering on the station, it really fits to the era of the diorama! Very nice indeed!

You would need some showa era vehicles for this! Thanks for sharing!