Microace 0 Shinkansen with DCC Sound fitted

Themetropolitainline

Themetropolitainline

Hi Guys,

I promised to upload these weeks ago in the chat room but i have been so busy with work.Here we go, i have fitted a Microace 0 Shinkansen with 3 Lenz silver mini decoders, one for the motor unit and then one in each end unit for the directional lights, plus also in the motor unit i have fitted a Uhlenbrock sound module and Zimo speaker, people may as why have i fitted this way,i prefer using sound module as to sound decoders, they have benefits over decoders as in if the decoder blows then your only replacing a small reasonably cheap decoder rather than a expensive sound decoder. The sound that i have used are as close to what i can find to the shinkansen after comparing sounds with the guys from Imon models in tokyo,We spent a whole afternoon comparing sounds and they came to the conclusion that these are more or less as close as possible. Since japan is not really into DCC in a big way it is hard to find sound files. I have done my best with the sounds and the most important thing is i am happy so please no tying  me to the stake and flaming  me. Hope you enjoy what is possible with a little fiddling  with these models. Metro

this is my Kato 10-1288 fitted much the same way as the microace using decoder and sound module, this model still has some work to do to with the lights and also need to fit passengers in both models. Hope you enjoy. Metro

Edited by Themetropolitainline

Wow, good stuff man!  You're definitely taking the Japanese N Scale train experience to the next level.  I've just recently experienced for myself the magic of sound with my Marklin HO trains and it's most definitely a different experience.  I'm not one to tinker with stuff so I've actually been considering the Kato Soundbox.  I admire your work and looking forward to seeing more of it.  

-Junior

Themetropolitainline

Thank your,i have more on the desk that i am working on so stay tuned. I also have trix HO that are fun, sound is the way for more fun.The kato sound box is a great unit but with dcc i can't use that unit.Thanks again for the heads up. Metro

Metro, excellent work! Sound decoders can be so notoriously fussy! So what sound files did you end up using? Smart to let the sound decoder do its own thing and be isolated once installed! Blowing those makes the wallet (and you) scream!

Kudos!

Jeff

Themetropolitainline

Hi Jeff,

For the microace i used a first generation ICE DB railways germany and for the kato the closest was a ETA176 Linburger Zigarre. The guys from Imon found these files after looking through close to 800 sound files on my computer, just listening with no images. It wasn't until after they made there choices  and we narrowed down all those choices that i showed them where the sounds came from with pictures.I walked away with 17 sound files for these and other japanese trains and locomotives from my list of files to match stock that i bought from them. Thanks also for the encouragement with these models. Regards Metro

Edited by Themetropolitainline

Metro,

Cool! That sounds like you had a great time with the Imon guys doing thsi, great of them to do That with you! Great way to cheat! Sounds seems to slowly be coming into Japanese modeling, sound boxes to at least get something.

Thanks for sharing the info, experience and video, sure it's got some wheels turning out there!

Jeff

Themetropolitainline

My next are a couple of Tomix that i am working on so when i find the time to complete this i will add then as well.Yes the guys at Imon are great,luckily it was a quiet day but they got really into it plus i spent a fortune on stock with them the day before so i think that helped, but they looked as if they were really enjoying themselves, they kept switching back and forth between files and talking amongst themselves and discussing what they thought and only one of them spoke english. The only thing they asked for was a full video copy once completed for them to show there customers and explain what DCC is all about, so once i have finished them all with lights and passengers i will make full video of the trains running on my layout for them.Metro

That's cool, great approach!

It's great they are going to use it to help explain dcc more in Japan! Great side bennie of the experience. Shows it's worth it to take the risk and reach out now like this can happen where everyone wins and has fun to boot!

Cheers

Jeff

Really excellent work Metro. never heard of Uhlenbrock sound modules. European, I guess. would be interesting to see a link to them with info. I had contemplated getting  loksound  for my New Zealand models in TT, as a lot of the modellers in 1/64th  use them and sound files are available for New Zealand locomotives, but the price per decoder put me off and also need a special unit to add files to the decoder via computer.

These sound modules are great. They need a susi compatible decoder though. That's a two wire bus (4 with power added) that carries the translated dcc commands and the motor speed info. You can program them with any two wire interface (like an arduino). Also you can connect multiple devices onto a susi bus, like i/o extenders for even more functions (even servo controllers or other nonstandard stuff, used in N for things like operating door models). http://www.dccwiki.com/SUSI

Btw. great idea to use those german emu sounds for the japanese models!

Themetropolitainline

Hi,

Uhlenbrock is german, they make decoders, sound modules, and even excellent DCC controllers. The main reason for modules is, if the decoder blows all you have to remove is the silver mini decoder or decoder of your choice which as mentioned before will cost a lot less than a sound decoder which are notoriously delicate and expensive and the sound module with the file is in tact with no damage, also the module in my opinion can be controlled in a better way,tweek the sounds better.link to a module below, also go to Uhlenbrock page on modelbahn-lippe as they have more than 1 type of module.

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Uhlenbrock/42-7-0-167445-003002-0-0-0-0-0-0-grp-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html

modelbahn-lippe website link

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com

hope this helps. Metro

• Like 1
Themetropolitainline

These sound modules are great. They need a susi compatible decoder though. That's a two wire bus (4 with power added) that carries the translated dcc commands and the motor speed info. You can program them with any two wire interface (like an arduino). Also you can connect multiple devices onto a susi bus, like i/o extenders for even more functions (even servo controllers or other nonstandard stuff, used in N for things like operating door models). http://www.dccwiki.com/SUSI

Btw. great idea to use those german emu sounds for the japanese models!

You are absolutely correct,

i would never go back to sound decoders again, as mentioned i prefer Lenz decoders silver/gold mini's as they are great quality and tend not to blow or burn, they are a little more expensive than others but the quality is worth it in my opinion. I have hundreds of sound files for people to use if they contact me  (Free to JNSforum members) regards Metro

• Like 1

Awesome!!! I really love it, and not only the sound, but also the decoration.

For sure I'm interested on those sound files.....

I use D&H decoders normally (DH05 or DH10), and those decoders also have SUSI.