Minimum radius for Microace's 8620 steam loco and C12

chouw99

Hi all, I'm interested in hearing about the minimum negotiable curve for Microace's 8620 and C12 steam engines. I know the Kato C12 can work around a tight R150mm! What about Microace's? 

The reason being I'm interested in buying one and like to make an educated purchase.

Cheers

I don't have any 150mm radius track, but I do have a test track with 183mm Kato Unitrack on it. I also have both of the MicroAce locos you mention, plus their C56, the 2-6-0 tender version of the C12. I test ran all of these for you and can say that they all negotiated the 83mm radius easily in both directions. There is also still some additional side-to-side motion available on the drivers and pivot space on the leading and trailing bogies, so I'd guess you are probably OK with these locos on 150mm. But I suppose that difference of 33mm might make a difference, so best to check for sure, if you can.

Anyone out there with 150mm curves and these locos who can verify this?

• Like 1

Thank you Railtunes for the findings, I'm aware the small radius is really pushing it for a lot of steam locos, especially for a micro layout with curves. Cheers.