Model shops in Hamburg

buckingham

We will be visiting Hamburg in early December and would like to visit shops, particularly to look at model building kits, eg Kibri.as I think that their modern buildings are suitable for many locations.

I have seen this info

http://quinntopia.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/hamburg-hobby-shops.html

but would appreciate any update or other info.

Edited by buckingham

Three years ago there was another shop south of the main station, in a small side street that starts at the southern turnout district of the station. They had some custom items like local hochbahn sets along with general h0, tt, n and z trains. I don't know if it's still there.

Edit: found it on street view: Züge und mehr, Aldstadter strasse

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

The Miniatur Wunderland also has a big shop selling all kinds of things. Though mostly H0, if I remember correctly.

I guess you're planning to visit there anyway? If not, you absolutely should!

• Like 1

The miwula has a shop but most trains there have ads. I've got 3 cars (z scale), each painted for one fictious industry on their layout.

Another great layout is the gauge 1 club layout in the attic of the Hamburg city museum. It features two real life stations as they were before ww2 and it's still operated by club members from a real control tower in the middle. The layout and the oldest models were built before the war. The museum is also interesting as it has several dioramas and exhibits of the city through the ages and has a big ship model collection. (not as big as the nautical museum) Just check the operating hours beforehand as it's a club layout and only runs when there are members around.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

Three years ago there was another shop south of the main station, in a small side street that starts at the southern turnout district of the station. They had some custom items like local hochbahn sets along with general h0, tt, n and z trains. I don't know if it's still there.

Edit: found it on street view: Züge und mehr, Aldstadter strasse

Thanks kvp

The miwula has a shop but most trains there have ads. I've got 3 cars (z scale), each painted for one fictious industry on their layout.

Another great layout is the gauge 1 club layout in the attic of the Hamburg city museum. It features two real life stations as they were before ww2 and it's still operated by club members from a real control tower in the middle. The layout and the oldest models were built before the war. The museum is also interesting as it has several dioramas and exhibits of the city through the ages and has a big ship model collection. (not as big as the nautical museum) Just check the operating hours beforehand as it's a club layout and only runs when there are members around.

Hadn't heard of that one and will need to look out for it when we are there

The Miniatur Wunderland also has a big shop selling all kinds of things. Though mostly H0, if I remember correctly.

I guess you're planning to visit there anyway? If not, you absolutely should!

Thanks Suica.

We have been to Miniatur Wunderland. We paid extra for the behind the scene visit and it was worth it.

Fascinating to see all the mechanisms for moving the trains and boats and planes.

• Like 1