Gerry's Train Room

gerryo

This topic will contain build threads for both of my layout plans, N scale Baden-Baden,  and Z scale Cortina.  Both have been completed so that they can be built in my train room in our future apartment.

The dimensions of the new room are unknown at the present time, post-2768-0-97232600-1477695567_thumb.jpgpost-2768-0-40178000-1477695619_thumb.jpg, so I will be concentrating on the Cortina layout and acquiring the necessary track and accessories to be able to complete it where we are now and to move it to the new room a.s.a.p.

Both plans are included here for information purposes but are complete as far as size is concerned.  Keep in mind that the orientation is subject to change with the shape of the room.

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

Starting with the Z scale layout, Cortina, I have printed the listing of all track pieces, and am a bit surprised at the amount of track, 28.75m as compared to 29.82m for the B-B layout.  Mind you there is one more extension on Cortina, and if a lower storage yard is done on B-B then it will have a lot more track.

I already have 2 tables for this layout, and the third one is ordered from Noch, along with the front extension.  Now to do a track inventory to see how many more dollars need to be spent  to complete my needs.  The layout itself has also been ordered, along with a helix base and a helix.  Now comes the decision about the helix.

On the Noch web site where the helix are shown, they have a pic of a helix left out in the open at one end of a layout.  I would like to do the same but don't know where to get the straight pieces for the approaches.  Does anyone know where these might be obtained?  It seems a shame to hide the helix under an extension, I would like to have it open so that it can be shown off.

Anyway.  To work.  I have to rework the main layout table to handle the 1 meter by 1 meter layout.

gerryo

Edited by gerryo

Additional pieces for the Cortina layout should be here sometime next week.  They have been held up because Noch would not ship to my supplier while they were moving their shop in British Columbia.  But I was not told this until now.  Just another frustration.

So, one more table, the Cort. layout, and the front extension will be here and I can finally get at some serious railroading.  The left ext. can wait for now until I have the rest with track laid.

gerryo

I received all the rest of the parts for the Cortina layout today, except the left extension.  Everything is in proper condition and ready for serious construction.

The first thing is to build the last table for the set, but only after I have cleared space to work.  It's really surprising how much junk can be "stored" in a train room "just until I need to work".

Now to work.

gerryo

• Like 1

I have had to reorder the left extension again for the Cortina layout.  My first order got cancelled with the move by my supplier, to a different town.  Now another wait.

Gerry

I am building my T-Track-Z layout indicated in the T-Track section below.  I always need something to work on just to keep me sane and active.

Gerry

• Like 1

The left extension for the Cortina Layout has just been sent from my supplier- ALREADY.

This will be set aside until we get moved to our new apartment.  No point in having to take it all apart again.

Gerry

Murphy's law of ordering stuff, when you don't need it right away it shows up early! At least you will have it, there for a while it sounded like you were not going to get it at all!

Jeff

• Like 1

post-2768-0-39574900-1493994847_thumb.jpg

OK.  All parts are here for the Cortina layout, but will be set aside until we move to our new digs.

Meanwhile, the T-Track-Z is coming along slowly.  But I've been seriously designing an N layout again.  This one will have everything.  Viaduct, Commuter Trains, Buses and Trams.  Yes, it will be a pile of spaghetti, but I have most of the track and am hoping to have the space as well.  There will even be a new castle, if I live long enough.  Ha, Ha.

It is planned to be 4 feet by 8 feet, set at a lower height so I can sit down to do some of the work.  This also means that I need access to 3 sides for my rolling chair. 

Ideas and faults would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Does anyone use inclines on N scale viaduct track and if so can they be used on curves?

Gerry

Takahama Trainwatcher

Does anyone use inclines on N scale viaduct track and if so can they be used on curves?

Gerry

Yes and yes (I have used Kato viaduct with curves and inclines on them).

With my move to new digs pending, I have chosen to re-enter the world of Z scale Cortina Layout.

I have decided to do away with the helix idea because of the lower table tops.  With this I have planned a yard at table top height, and to one end.  I will also build a narrower front extension to make it easier to reach the back of the layout and have it situated beside the wall of the room.

59a57a58a9e2a_Z-CortinaLayoutModded.thumb.jpg.bd1aca8e8bed9317653c86f42461a717.jpg

The narrower front meant some changes to the anticipated track plan, but at this stage in life I've learned that you cant have everything.  Including less money.

Anyway.  Constuction will start within the next month or so.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
Print not dark enough for me to ead.

I have spent some time trying to lay track on the central portion of the Cortina layout, and have run into many problems.  The main one seems to be angles.  Most track manufacturers us 30 degrees and 45 degrees for their curves.  This makes it necessary to also have 15 degree pieces to make up full curves and parallel tracks.  As does Marklin and Microtrains.  Not Rokuhan.  They do use 30 and 45 degrees for track pieces.  But their parallel former and their turnout curves are 13 degrees.  This can make a difference of 4 degrees, and over the length of a couple pieces of track means that you have a problem.  There is no solution to this except to use 26 degrees which Rok. is doing but not in the Classic Rail set.  And also very slowly.

Anyhow, a lot of wasted time needed to figure this out as Rok. does not tell you these things.  It would make them look bad.

I have also, in my planning not been careful to designate Classic instead of PC track.  This has made for confusion in that I want all track to look the same and to now reorder the classic track meant I had to go back to my plan and re reference to classic.  A wearing 2 day job.

At least I have a use for the PC track on my T-Track-Z modules.

Gerry

Please not insult a manufacturer if you fail to Read That Fine Manual.

Rokuhan-radii.jpg.fa1472f4973c64fba30af7da4197cdef.jpg

Also, the rokuhan geometry follows what is set by maerklin in 1972. This means you should be able to build a layout out of rokuhan tracks that were designed for maerklin tracks. If it was not, then there is also a flextrack option.

I have found, in the listing of Rokuhan layout plans, one that is very like the Cortina plan from Germany, except that it has the new single track viaduct for Z scale.  It just gives me an idea that it could fit around the mountains on Cortina to add another train to run.

Gerry

I have been wondering why the track and the module and the table don't fit together, and I finally measured them.  The module from Noch, which has all the track spaces set out, is 1000mm long by 690mm wide as advertised.  The table from Noch, which is supposedly made to fit the module, is 1000mm long by 720mm wide.

I made assumptions again.

Gerry 

5a08f483e38e4_Z-CortinaLayoutModded.thumb.jpg.6ea4d6e84e17e9c14d05c700c0569a40.jpg

So with the corrections I have had to make some changes.  Some good, some not so good.

The good one is that I can do away with the yard at the left end of the layout.  The change to dimensions means that I have to add in the front expansion piece which is 31cm wide and will allow a yard to be inserted across the front.  The old yard design was going to be stored in the closet when not in use.  Now I get my closet back.

The not so good is that the whole layout is now 100cm deep so will need to be set up abt. 18 inches from the wall which means that there will not be as much free space in that bedroom.  You win some, you lose some.  

5a2ab55caee02_CORTINACENTER.thumb.JPG.1d2c353b6bc21282abc2ab58febd521a.JPG5a2ab59444fab_CORTINALEFTEXTENSION.thumb.JPG.788a2a85b3d5160898f7f3a19c17c55d.JPG5a2ab5b0ac9d7_CORTINARIGHTEXTENSION.thumb.JPG.419def1608bb27d807448717b8f46e42.JPG5a2ab5ccc141f_ONLYFLATSPOTFORCASTLE.thumb.JPG.1567b63b4b442f7df519bb31e9cb1662.JPG

I have made a fair start on the Cortina layout, with all the extensions in place and some track.  WOW is that track ever expensive when you add in the delivery cost. Anyway, I will be using the only flat spot near the mountains on the left end for the castle.  The Matsumoto castle fits there pretty good. 

You were right kvp.  The only way to fix the alignment of the track is to use the flex track, but it means that the layout track plan is skewed by 4 degrees.  That's not much, but it is visible if you know where to look.  It's on that long piece across the back of the center.

Gerry

• Like 5

5a2b145a1003a_Z-CortinaLayoutModded.thumb.jpg.256b7eb1fbf5ca8eed035ce2db3d509a.jpg

This is the plan I am working to.  As you can see the misalignment of track takes place in the center at the back.  As I say it's not too obvious.

The number of turnouts is high for a small layout.  Layout size is 2380mm by 1000mm so is big enough to need a room of it's own.  Like a big kid.

There could be 2 small real waterfalls where the blue marks are.

Gerry

I'm stuck with waiting for track for this layout, so will spend time on the t-track z,  until I run out of track for it.

Gerry

5a3a771fc4cd7_Z-CortinaLayoutModded.thumb.jpg.a30b9adcf4cf2d65e76e04ba47020dee.jpg

I have had to do another revision to the Cortina plan.  Across the back where the problem was with the out of kilter meeting of the tracks, there was not enough room to place the turnouts and the single track.  I have had to place a trimmed 1x2 inch strip to accommodate two tracks and of course 2 more turnouts.  However what this does is eliminate the track meeting problem.  Now everything is perfect.  Pics will come eventually.

Gerry

• Like 1

I spent some time today figuring out the rest of the track that I need, and the last piece has been ordered.  When it's all on there will be 31 turnouts.  WOW.

It could have been done with fewer, but I have always been known for excess.  

I now have the problem of wiring up all the electrics and can see a long spell of working under the layout.  One problem with This kind of layout is - how to get the wires for the turns and track controls down thru the plastic of the plan.  The actual wire would fit in a 3/16 hole but the connectors will need a 1/2 inch hole.  It seems that the easiest way is to cut the wire, feed it thru and connect it again.  Does anyone have any easier Idea??? Please !!!  Can the wire be taken out of the connectors and returned without doing damage?  

Anyhow, I do have the rest of my life.

Gerry