My JP N scale experiment

Rod.H

If some of this looks familiar, of cause it should as some of it's appeared in another part of the forum. It's just now here.

Okay, so I'm working with a 1.2m x 0.6m bit of XPS foamboard and started off with the Kato untrack V5 loop pack, to which I've added other bits of unitrack switches various lengths of straights and ended up with the following trackplan:
post-4306-0-19324500-1477400017_thumb.jpg

And it ends up looking like:
post-4306-0-80040300-1477400047_thumb.jpg
Still, not quite happy with the engine shed/yard arrangement, though it has improved. Perhaps changing the rh #6 for a rh #4, the lh #4 for the #2 Y or both might improve the situation. Then again, it might not.

Structure wise, I've got a few buildings that I felt feel right on order. Though I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the station. The way I'm going with that and with what bits of straight track I've got left over would probably be enough for a T-trak module or two.

At some point, the expanse of yellow may become shades of green & concrete. It just won't be anytime soon.

• Like 5

Right, after acquiring a Y switch, I had a rethink of the yard and ended up using it to replace the rh #4 and ended up doing a general rearrangement.
As seen in
post-4306-0-90501700-1477728541_thumb.jpgpost-4306-0-71335700-1477728527_thumb.jpg

I think I worked out why I wasn't happy with what I did previously, it was inglenookish and didn't work with the engine shed.  The new arrangement has an engine shed with sidings long enough for my DMUs in 2-car formation with another siding that can hold a longer formation or a short freight train. 

Edit: Or I do this:post-4306-0-12861700-1477741413_thumb.jpg
(the anyrail extract is wrong as the physical bumpers/buffers do not touch the loop) and end up being able to store four two-car DMUs, on a layout pretty much suitable for only one.

That doesn't mean I've not had them (Kato's 10-1228 & 10-1229) both running at the same time on the main loop. Have them starting in the yard, set the throttle and after throwing the switches in the correct sequence. The chase begins and of cause, if you get the timing right you can put them back into the yard in either their starting points or a different siding.

Edited by Rod.H
  • Like 1

Structure wise, I've got a few buildings that I felt feel right on order. Though I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the station. The way I'm going with that and with what bits of straight track I've got left over would probably be enough for a T-trak module or two.

At some point, the expanse of yellow may become shades of green & concrete. It just won't be anytime soon.

For the station I would suggest this:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003174

Only $6 so you're not out much plus it's pretty easy to modify and fits a lot of time periods. Looks like you have just enough room to squeeze it in at the bottom since you have half of a 248 straight and then some to work with, the station is only 14.5 cm long. 

Also if you wanted you saw end platforms in half more space . A razor saw goes right through them and you can cover any holes by moving the station board down. 

Edited by nah00

That station entrance is actually double that price down here, if you can find one. I did find a local store that supposedly has it in stock and expect to have one shortly. However, somewhere in the postal system there's a parcel heading for me that contains http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10064164 so the current platform I'll save and use somewhere else like the rest of the left over pieces of track I've got. The current thought is leaning towards a t-trak module, or four.

Edited by Rod.H

Well, adding pre-assembled structures is one way of making the yellow go away.

post-4306-0-80091000-1477902477_thumb.jpg

Though there's something about the Tomix structures I'm not liking. Hopefully, a paint and wash session will fix it. Also the Kato one sided flag stop platforms, while the complete set barely fits, they don't seem suitable for this use. Guess I'll be using them elsewhere.

I don't know, it could be just in case I want to run longer trains. But as I can only run 2 car consists...gah mental block. That means I need one 248mm platform section, an end platform piece and that station entrance. I guess that if I'd a train parked there the issue and solution would've come to me. 

That I do.

Now it's just what platform do I like more.
post-4306-0-90486700-1477917358_thumb.jpg
post-4306-0-63042600-1477917380_thumb.jpg
And of cause, the main reason for getting the one-sided flag platform set are those short end pieces that they don't offer by themselves 

The platform from the latter picture fits better methinks. It's based on the very generic type of platform that you see everywhere in Japan. I think that it will fit well into this scene and the platforms part with the fence also makes for some variation. The platform from the first picture, the one with the higher roof, is more suited for a modern urban station.

Edited by Densha

Forgot to add what platforms I decided on using:
post-4306-0-46898600-1481637291_thumb.jpg

Though I've not done much else to the 4'x2' as I've been playing with Tomix Wide Track packaged sets
post-4306-0-31822300-1481637413_thumb.jpgpost-4306-0-95208500-1481637602_thumb.jpg

I've not done much more than add a siding to the pushed over square the CA-S (91010)set produces, ponder how to combine it with the CC (91013) set and make it all fit in a 5'x3' space (I suspect it can't without changing out the overhead curved track to 280/317). Then the real fun will begin once the CB(91015) station set turns up.

• Like 1