DC Sound Controller

paulmaglev

Tenshodo still manufactures locomotives with sound decoders that necessitate DC sound controllers to maximize usage potential.  I should be able to access all the sound effects with any dc sound controller right?  If not, then I will stick to what the manual suggested, the QSI Quantum Engineer.

Kato and Tomix analog sound units don't use decoders on the locomotives, so they won't control a decoder equipped locomotive. The Tomix high frequency constant lighting (CL) signal could even burn out a badly designed/installed decoder.

It's best if the systems are not mixed, so a DCC locomotive is run with a DCC signal, a quantum locomotive with a quantum signal and an analog locomotive with a Kato or Tomix analog sound unit where the speaker is on the controller not in the train.

Kato and Tomix analog sound units don't use decoders on the locomotives, so they won't control a decoder equipped locomotive. The Tomix high frequency constant lighting (CL) signal could even burn out a badly designed/installed decoder.

It's best if the systems are not mixed, so a DCC locomotive is run with a DCC signal, a quantum locomotive with a quantum signal and an analog locomotive with a Kato or Tomix analog sound unit where the speaker is on the controller not in the train.

That was informative, but the answers remain to be found. Perhaps I should clarify that the locomotive I own has a quantum sound decoder in it (with a circuit board, speakers and chip), which puts it in some sort of limbo in between true DCC control and analogue control, hence the question about a dc sound controller.  QSI made the Quantum Engineer, but seeing that there are hardly any left on the market made me feel that my energy would best be spent looking at an alternate system like the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller, which is far more ubiquitous.

Edited by paulmaglev

These systems are not standard. As far as i know, only the base functions are interchangeable. (like the default bell/whistle with polarity reversal) The vendor specific functionality might or might not work. (even the quantum engineer is incompatible with their earlier products) You might have to test or ask about each sound unit/controller combination you plan to use.

Hi, I have a QSI sound HO steam D51 from tenshodo and it is full functional in DCC. There is plenty of user manual on line on Quantum QSI website.

Good find Inobu! Do you have the MRC protocol too? (it seems to have limited DCC central functionality and one analog loco)

MRC as in Model Rectifier Corp?

Inobu

Kvp,

It's all from quantum engineering. They just pictured the QE unit in that article sitting on top of a Mrc DC power supply that is supplying the DC.

Jeff

I meant the protocol used by the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller and if they are compatible in DC mode beyond the basic bell/whistle operation as Paulmaglev has asked. Comparing the two protocols would answer the question.

PS: the info that modern quantum decoder locos are DCC compatible with DC conversion mode supporting the serial command communication mode through polarity reversal signalling is nice

I meant the protocol used by the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller and if they are compatible in DC mode beyond the basic bell/whistle operation as Paulmaglev has asked. Comparing the two protocols would answer the question.

PS: the info that modern quantum decoder locos are DCC compatible with DC conversion mode supporting the serial command communication mode through polarity reversal signalling is nice

It's funny you ask because I just yesterday I tested MRC's Advance2 system and found a few issues with it. Your question prompted me to look at the MRC Tech 6 and I found this video 

What he is complaining about is the same issue I had with JMRI. It appears that control packets are lost from time to time and the unit will not respond to some commands. He states that MRC fixed his units but I found simular issues with the regular DCC system and MRC's sound card which I think is the same protocol you asked about. . 

The key point is this system is 6 amps. Which means that you have to install circuit breakers everywhere. If not you will fry your trucks and shell.

I think the unit is a sounder decoder with its DC motor output wired to the track. In the DCC mode the output is run in parallel with the sound card. 

I have a opinion about these sound units. Im not saying anything until I see it for myself and will post the results then. 

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Good find Inobu! Do you have the MRC protocol too? (it seems to have limited DCC central functionality and one analog loco)

To answer your question.

I only have MRC's DCC system and it looks like the the Tech 6 is using the same DCC protocol. Im guessing it is a sound decoder with DC output.

Inobu

After some deliberation, I managed to get a Quantum Engineer controller over at a local shop below the original retail price.  It does everything I need it to for the time being and that's all there is to it.