Artwork by Mitch

Mitch

I want the train going away from the viewer towards Umeda as this is the morning, I do realize there's plenty of rush hour traffic in both directions but me being me I wanted that direction. I have a tendency to portray trains racing away from the viewer. I was afraid everyone would think I portrayed water in the foreground. That would end up being buildings in the shadows. In the final the flowers would be better rendered.

The train going away from the viewer is still fine by me : the "back" direction gives a nostalgic feeling/mood which I find fits this type of work and the lighting you chose. It also makes you feel envious of the people riding the train as you've kind of been left on the platform as a spectator :)

Regarding the foreground made of building : "excellent" !

Ooh! You discovered Keikyū! I think you'll really appreciate this company as well. They're famous for their high-speed operations and fierce competition with both JR East and Tōkyū, sometimes boiling down to pure hatred between the three companies.

Keikyū is a remarkable company on which a journey with the 'Green Limited Expres' kaitoku (快特) from Shinagawa to Yokohama (and beyond) is hard to forget. Operations with speeds up to 120kph between densely built up areas is a great experience. Especially when you're able to obtain an observation seat behind the driver!

Keikyu is without a doubt the most impressive passenger railroad I've ever seen. They do all sorts of unusual stuff on a routine basis that other railroads balk at plus it seems that their equipment has an extra gear!

Nice colors on the paintings.

The train going away from the viewer is still fine by me : the "back" direction gives a nostalgic feeling/mood which I find fits this type of work and the lighting you chose. It also makes you feel envious of the people riding the train as you've kind of been left on the platform as a spectator :)

Regarding the foreground made of building : "excellent" !

That's it exactly. You feel as tho you wanted to go on the train with everyone. Off it goes towards the sun.

Keikyu is without a doubt the most impressive passenger railroad I've ever seen. They do all sorts of unusual stuff on a routine basis that other railroads balk at plus it seems that their equipment has an extra gear!

Nice colors on the paintings.

Keikyu will be next right after Hankyu. They're really something.

Jeff,

Thanks. That's some of the information I'm looking for.

Mitch,

I know in out medium sized house I've run out of space for larger art posters, I have a large pile of them and even purchase one from time to time even though I know I'll need to rotate to get it up somewhere! Also the larger posters always require a bit of negation with the other half as well and with the rest of the art in the house as they tend to grab your eye from a room away (we have an open house design). Also framing can be a challenge as it can get expensive. I have a couple of nice frames about half the big posters can fit in so I try to rotate some, but tend to put that off a lot with other things going on. Also smaller sized posters work well to put a few close together in an interesting themed arrangement in the space a large poster would take, makes it something that you can really look at for a while. Also cheaper and easier to frame as lots of variety on sale at the smaller size vs the large poster sized frames. I've noticed our local craft chain has dropped a lot of the dyi frame systems as well and the last painting we framed (my sister-in-law is a budding painter in retirement!) well was atrociously expensive!

Japanese houses tend to be smaller sq ft and smaller rooms so smaller walls in general. Toni and the others living in japan can give you a good feeling for the size that is normally up on walls there, but my suspicion is and from my limited experience in Japanese homes large posters were not something I remeber seeing.

Production and shipping will be less and easier with smaller roll as well.

Jeff

Mitch,

I know in out medium sized house I've run out of space for larger art posters, I have a large pile of them and even purchase one from time to time even though I know I'll need to rotate to get it up somewhere! Also the larger posters always require a bit of negation with the other half as well and with the rest of the art in the house as they tend to grab your eye from a room away (we have an open house design). Also framing can be a challenge as it can get expensive. I have a couple of nice frames about half the big posters can fit in so I try to rotate some, but tend to put that off a lot with other things going on. Also smaller sized posters work well to put a few close together in an interesting themed arrangement in the space a large poster would take, makes it something that you can really look at for a while. Also cheaper and easier to frame as lots of variety on sale at the smaller size vs the large poster sized frames. I've noticed our local craft chain has dropped a lot of the dyi frame systems as well and the last painting we framed (my sister-in-law is a budding painter in retirement!) well was atrociously expensive!

Japanese houses tend to be smaller sq ft and smaller rooms so smaller walls in general. Toni and the others living in japan can give you a good feeling for the size that is normally up on walls there, but my suspicion is and from my limited experience in Japanese homes large posters were not something I remeber seeing.

Production and shipping will be less and easier with smaller roll as well.

Jeff

I'm tardy in my response as I've had the flu (or I should say the flu had me) for a few days. Poster size has been the bane of the South Shore Line poster series for almost 20 years now. When we first started the series we did the posters in large (26"x34") format. That was good for the first several posters. Then as you pointed out people said they didn't have enough room for them and the cost of framing was outrageous. So we reduced the size to 20"x30." Then we got complaints that we must be getting "cheap" and "Why so small?" It's a never ending challenge. When I would be selling the posters at events in answer to "Where can I put them," I would answer, "You can always tape them to your window shades." That would get a laugh but it wasn't practical. I even suggested to have the images on a long roll of canvas and make a roll sign like on trains or busses. You could crank the thing to the appropriate image. That wasn't practical either. But in this case I see the point and will make them in a modest size. The big question next is what would be a good selling price?

Mitch