T-Track - "Z"

gerryo

So, I have been concentrating on building my T-Track-Z modules for the display I am to take part in in November.  I initially had been allotted two 6 ft. tables and was busy with that until I was cut back to one 6 ft. table.  Now I have time on my hands. so am building more modules and designing new layouts for Z.

My plan is simple for this show and will be easy for me to do on my own.  

I am in the process of starting a T-Track-Z club here in Gananoque, Ontario.  Right now I have a club of ONE.  Just me.

This is the layout I have just about ready.

Gerry

1355365991_Z1-T-TRACK-6FT-STATION.thumb.jpg.dcfb69a9b0023694784e4d0fc8ba3455.jpg

II have a problem thinking out the need for isolators on this module set end.  Can anyone help?

The 5 modules are for a small yard, an end turn for the main lines, and approaches to the yards.  Will the turnout's provision of power routing always provide enough isolation to prevent any problems without adding in any track isolators?

Gerry

T-TRACK-Z YARD APPROACHES AND ENDCAP.jpg

It should, thats the Classic way to do a yard with power routing points. The only caveat is that you have to leave one track open and empty when a train is on the main line as when you switch over to the yard to take a train in the current ladder routing will turn one track on, somthat needs to be the empty one you will run the train in on. You can fill both yards and then take one train out at a time and just return it to it’s empty yard track.

jeff

You should be able to switch so of the turnout around so you can have longer storage tracks.  Use the curve in the turnout as you curse.  Rather than having curves between each turnout.

Sorry for not replying sooner katoftw.  I got sidetracked to other things that needed to be looked after.

I know what you mean by placement of the curves.  But these modules are not very long sometimes, and you must us them before the actual yard to orient the yard approaches properly.  You cannot bring an angled track to the edge of a module because the next module must be in a straight line with it for the track to fit together properly.  If you could inlay a short length of track the way we used to do in N-Track then it's possible, but not when you have to use continuous track.  You can't get a curved track and a straight track together at the same place, at the same time.  I know that that rambles but it's hard to explain without pieces of track as examples.

Gerry

I have ran into a problem with the amount of Z scale structures on the market.  There are just not enough to go round, so to speak.

I am thinking of changing to a European style but don't know which one.  Even the American market is pretty sparse when it comes to Z.  I have even thought of mixing two or three styles but again, there are differences all around.

Mostly items just do not exist, and there are no promises coming from manufacturers.  

The only thing I have glued down is the Red Roofed Station with lots of extension.  And of course, the track.

And that is something else.  The American Standard for T-TRACK-Z track is now becoming Rokuhan.  Many more pieces, more ease of use, finished roadbed, variety of turnouts, number of curve radii.  The list goes on.

I guess that these are the problems with all new efforts.  Lack of interest, and a small audience.

Onward and upward.

Gerryo 

I have a question regarding placement of some items on my modules.  Like, for instance, on this corner module dedicated to the castle, which is 1/200 scale, and a 5 story Stupa and the Kinkaku Shrine, which are both 1/200 scale.  I don't mean the scale, but is it OK to place these kinds of religious symbols close together as on this copy?

Gerry

T-TRACK-Z-CASTLE CORNER.jpg

OK.  All planning is complete and most of the diorama is finished.  Just have the soccer field to tie down and still leave enough room for the Matsumoto castle.  This will remain as a set-on because, as you saw, I am planning a designated corner module for the castle.  On this layout the 4 track station will act as a yard, and a new one has been in the works since a longer QUINT module has been organized and the longer station will be cut back to two tracks on each side, and can contain my airport down the center.

I have changed my way of thinking with the modular system.  Because most of the modules are very small, it is better to think in multiples of modules or Layout sets,as I call them.  This town site set can be attached to other sets, like my airport, with an endcap on the other end to turn the trains around .

Pic 1 is the town, and pic 2 is the town, yard and airport combined.  It's just 10 feet long instead of15.

Gerry 

1A-T-TRACK-Z- 6FT-STATION.jpg

2A-T-TRACK-Z TOWN AND AIRPORT.jpg

• Like 1

Gerry,

Nice variations. lots of folks are now doing this with Ttrak, using multiple modules or a whole loop for a home sectional layout then take a big chunk to a show to become a peninsula on a bit layout with a larger screen across a bunch of modules. Some are using a scene across a row of modules on a larger home non Ttrak layout that they can then pull out and take to shows. Blurs the lines betweeen sectional and modular and full layout. More than one way to skin a (insert whatever thing you want to skin).

cheers

jeff

Thanx Jeff, for the comments.

I have been noticing in my dealings with the other Guys, on T-Track-Z that there is a tendency toward larger modules and larger layouts.  But to me it just defeats the purpose of t-track altogether.  If you go wider than 592mm with T-TRACK-Z it is no longer Z but something else altogether.  So call me a purist but I do know what I like.

If you need to go larger than the Z parameters, then move up to N.  There is a perfectly defined system in T-TRACK-N.

We now have 3 different sets of standards in N-TRACK-Z.    195/220 curves

220/245 curves

245/270 curves

ME, I LIKE Z.   Except when it comes to gluing together something that small.

Gerry

I've been working for days on a Kinkaku and Stupa set, and it seems like there is no end to the small little pieces that you have to scrape the gold or silver off to get the glue to stick.  I like the Rokuhan pieces that are ready made and are plug & play so to speak.

Anyway, they'll get made all right.

Gerry

What could be used to make the landing strips on my Airport module?  I thought of tar paper like we used to use when roofing a house, but it only comes in very long, wide rolls.

Gerryo

Gerry,

At z scale you would never see the cement texture in 3D. I would look at just printing it using a concrete pattern and color to give a small bit of visual texture (way reduced down as again at a foot or two you would see no visible texture at z scale). You can hide the paper seams as concrete slab seams you see in some runways. You could also print it as one piece at the copy shop as they usually have an inkjet printer set up with a roll of poster paper to do longer prints. On the computer you can put in any runway lines, seam details, skid marks, etc.

Otherwise even just a piece of properly colored chipboard or colored art paper from the art store. Lay down lines needed with pin tape and so the skid marks and wear wirh some weathering powder or makeup. Would need to experiment some to get the desired effect. 

Ive seen strips colored from bright white concrete to almost black. Also may depend if it’s a little private strip or a big commercial one. Google image search will help.

Cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

I have just completed a small show where I displayed my town site module set.  I am now planning an extension and a 90 degree corner to this layout.  I have all the modules necessary to do this.   BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEME TO DO ON THEM.

I have started an airport on a set of long modules, but they won't fit on here.  They will take much longer time to assemble.  I am planning to do the airport in 1/200 scale because that is what is available in small aircraft.  Anyway, that doesn't help with this problem,

There is just nothing that I can find in Japanese theme in Z scale or even 1/200 scale.  

Has anyone any knowledge of some theme that could fit in here.  I have a total of about 1100 to 1200 mm so there is lots of space.

Gerry

2A-T-TRACK-Z- 5FT ANGLE.jpg

I know there are lots of industrial stuff from Germany and from the U.S.A.  I suppose this is where I will mix things up and have an Industrial section, the easy way.

It's expensive but no other way.

Gerry 

What about a rural farming area? Rice paddies? A small hill/cliff face in a corner? Might be nice to have a tunnel to make trains disappear. Water area? Would not require much in the way of structures. Also look at papercraft PDFs as you can print them to z scale. Nice thing is the smaller the scale the less you see small surface 3D detail and the better papercraft works. Takes some cutting with the X-Acto knife but cheap usually to purchase the file and many free. That take a little practice, but once you get the hang of it it’s not bad. You can also play with them printing on colored card stocks to get more of a sankei look to them as well as layer them by cutting out details and laying a size one print behind it to give depth like sankei does. I have some that are free from the web if you want, just pm me. 

cheers,

jeff

I have about 10 of the papercraft models and I can not do them.  I tried with the AOSHIMA Big See  building and that was a dismal failure.  These old hands can't manipulate things that small because they shake too much.  And the dimming vision doesn't help either.

Just too old for this I guess.

Gerry

Ok gotcha, worth a try but they do require lots of tight cutting. It’s also practice as well, but the good thing is little is lost practicing other than time.

how about some scenic bits like rice paddies and a hill?

jeff

I have ordered a couple of the prebuilt Noch Z scale mountains to give that a try.  I have a feeling though, that trying Japan décor in Z scale was a mistake.  Just not enough developed and nothing in the works.

I might be better to strip off anything strikingly Japan and change to Europe.  I once had a beautiful Swiss Theme in 5 feet by 5 feet but not modular.  There is lots of European stuff.  Even Castles.

I'll see how it feels when I get the Tunnels and hills.

Gerryo