October trip....

rusty-project

Hi All,

I am travelling to Japan for just over 2 weeks in October, starting in Osaka and ending up in Tokyo (all by train) - it is a Honeymoon, but I have been able to sneak in a few railway places of interest during the adventure!

Mid-way through the trip we are heading to the Kiso Forest - to ride the last remaining section of the 2'6" forest railway, we are also planning to visit the railway museum in Kyoto too. 

I'm wondering if anyone can help with a couple of things as we get to Tokyo please?

As an active member of a UK narrow gauge railway, I would like to see the 610mm gauge narrow gauge railway/collection at the Yume Ranch near Narita (Tokyo) - http://www.kurogane-rail.jp/yume/eyume_idx.html & http://rass-rail.blog.so-net.ne.jp/

We should be in Tokyo on 22nd October :) I think I understand from the website that the railway is operating until 16:00h on that day - or do they change engines at that time?

Has anyone already visited them recently?

While we are in Tokyo (or even in Osaka/Kyoto etc) are there any good modelshops to visit for Narrow Gauge models in general? I used to model in 009 (HOe or HOn1/2) and it might be a good occasion to buy a few items. The Tsugawa N gauge locos/chassis look like good items for 009 - can anyone say where there is a good stockist please?

Is there anywhere else that is really a must-do if we can fit it in?

Many thanks,

Hi All,

I am travelling to Japan for just over 2 weeks in October, starting in Osaka and ending up in Tokyo (all by train) - it is a Honeymoon, but I have been able to sneak in a few railway places of interest during the adventure!

Mid-way through the trip we are heading to the Kiso Forest - to ride the last remaining section of the 2'6" forest railway, we are also planning to visit the railway museum in Kyoto too. 

I'm wondering if anyone can help with a couple of things as we get to Tokyo please?

As an active member of a UK narrow gauge railway, I would like to see the 610mm gauge narrow gauge railway/collection at the Yume Ranch near Narita (Tokyo) - http://www.kurogane-rail.jp/yume/eyume_idx.html & http://rass-rail.blog.so-net.ne.jp/

We should be in Tokyo on 22nd October :) I think I understand from the website that the railway is operating until 16:00h on that day - or do they change engines at that time?

Has anyone already visited them recently?

I must admit I've never heard of them, though noted for a potential future day out.

It's a bit hard to work out from the Japanese website what, if any, the normal operating hours are. The days listed including Oct 22nd and 23rd are definitely steam-running days from 10:00 - 16:00. It says "diesels will operate on other days" but doesn't say if that is really every day, though as it appears to be part of a larger tourist facility I guess that might be the case.

While we are in Tokyo (or even in Osaka/Kyoto etc) are there any good modelshops to visit for Narrow Gauge models in general? I used to model in 009 (HOe or HOn1/2) and it might be a good occasion to buy a few items. The Tsugawa N gauge locos/chassis look like good items for 009 - can anyone say where there is a good stockist please?

The Tenshodo store in Ginza certainly has some narrow-gauge stuff, though it doesn't interest me so I've never taken much notice. I'll have a closer look next time I'm there.

Imon might also be worth a try, though they have a few branches with differing amounts of gauge/scale.

Is there anywhere else that is really a must-do if we can fit it in?

How many weeks do you have? ;)

Hi railsquid,

Many thanks for your help on this - much appreciated.

I was planning a visit to the Tenshodo shop at Ginza as it seemed interesting from what I have read - do they stock all makes of models? (Kato, Tomix, etc)?

I think hobbyland-pochi could be interesting too (various N gauge locomotives/trams can be converted for HOn2 1/2, HOe, 009 etc.) - I've seen they have several stores around Tokyo. Which is the biggest/best one to see?

Thanks again,

rusty-project

A belated many thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

The trip was fantastic and left me wanting to return and see more.

I was really taken with the Hakone railway and the Kiso Forest systems - as well as the 60cm railway at the Yume Ranch near Narita (a really friendly group).

On the model side, we managed to visit Hobbyland Pochi (only found 1 branch), Imon and Poppondetta in Akihabara, and also Poppondetta in Kyoto (I was really impressed with the Railway museum their too).

We even managed some more of Japan's very historic/tourist sites too - well, it was a honeymoon...! ;)

Thanks again,

• Like 2