Engine problem

Paroan24

I have been working on setting up my layout using all Tomix track.  I completed one of several loops and thought I would test it out. I also set up a small Tomix tram loop and ran a Modemo trolley on it.  Since I had the Modemo handy I tried it on the new Tomix track loop and it ran perfect.

I then got out 2 of my engines and tried each.  The lights went on but I could not get either to move.  One is Life-Like made in China and the other is Atlas made in Italy. I guess it is possible that both engines are bad but I doubt it.

Any ideas?

Those sound like pretty old models. Have they been run recently?

You can try popping the shells off and trying to move the motor armature around to see if it got stuck. Otherwise they probably need to be taken apart and cleaned out well if sitting for a long time. It could be a little corrosion on contacts somewhere in there or dried out lubricants that got things mucked up.

But since you are getting the lights on you are getting power up thru the frame. So it may be the motor brushes.

When I was young I had a lot of these early atlas and life-likes I would get very cheap being not running or running poorly and stripping and cleaning would usually get them going pretty well.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1