EF67-100 Series being withdrawn

yakumo381

Given that the EF 210-300's are in service now it was only a matter of time, on top of that JRF has been going on a bit of a blowtorch frenzy of late thinning out it's fleet of smaller numbered classes such as the EF200's or locomotives that aren't up to new safety requirements such as the EF65-2000's that don't have Driving Data Recorders which are mandatory for any train travelling over 100km/h.

I really like the look of the 20T switcher in JRF livery, I am curious how many are about like that but I am assuming that it is probably the Hiroshima workshops shunter, would be nice if World Kogei brought out a kit for it.

http://puppuku.blog.so-net.ne.jp/upload/detail/m_3-729d3.JPG.html

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

Different view of JRF shunter with shunter's wagon at level crossing by Yaga station in May'14.

Got trapped in middle of crossing taking this photo with tracks in front and behind as barriers came down to let shunter through on one side and a DMU on the other...

post-265-0-19363300-1474310699_thumb.png

Interesting to see the modifications on this unit such as the lower cabfront windows, shortened exhaust pipe and the shunters platforms located ahead of the bufferbeam each side of the coupler, makes you wonder why they even bother having a shunters truck since they have the platforms on the locomotive.

I'm not surprised. The EF67's were rebuilt from older EF65's originally built in 1970, and much of the parts of this locomotive are 46 years old! With the arrival of the EF210-300 Series, no wonder why JR Freight is phasing out the old EF67's.

makes you wonder why they even bother having a shunters truck since they have the platforms on the locomotive

Just a few ideas: coupler conversion, a place to stand on the front while pushing from the back, equipment storage, etc... Anyway, nice little locomotive in an attractive modern paint.

Btw. what does JRF use instead of the old bankers? Stronger main locomotives, shorter trains or a new type of pusher?

Edited by kvp

Btw. what does JRF use instead of the old bankers? Stronger main locomotives, shorter trains or a new type of pusher?

They have been replaced by the EF210-300 of which there are 9 of, they were first introduced into service in 2013, I was lucky enough to get to spot one in action as well as some EF67-100 and an EF200 sitting idly by when I was coming into Hiroshima last year.

• Like 1

I've managed to photograph six of the EF210-300 series to date but strangely enough almost all away from Hiroshima and they are all now, I think, based at Suita Depot.

I suspect JRF may have ordered the first units with an eye on them being the new bankers, as the original EF67's came up for replacement, but they are now I feel acting more like being EF200 replacements on mainline haulage.

Do the more modern JRF locos no longer need banking as they have both sufficient haulage power and effective traction control to get up the incline without slipping?

I've a Japan trip coming up in November and will be looking to try to get both the remaining, most recent EF210-300 and the latest, final EF510 transfers from Hokkaido photographed in Suita for my collection as well as photographing DF200-223 at Inazawa.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Do the more modern JRF locos no longer need banking as they have both sufficient haulage power and effective traction control to get up the incline without slipping?

Actually, the newer EF210-300 locos are designed to be capable on both banking and normal freight haulage duties, which means that these locomotives are virtually having capabilities to run as far as Suita Freight to the north, and Shimonoseki to the south (although they are mainly replacing the EF67-100s on banking duties, as intended by JR Freight).

These pages are showing the side images of freight trains that pushed by EF210-300s over the Senohachi section of San'yo Line

• Like 2

I have seen many photos with EF210-300's pulling a train with a 2nd locomotive from which both its pantographs are down. Why?

And then I mean the 2nd locomotive is a EF210 or a EF510, so no low power stuff.

Hans

The 2nd one is probably either not needed, not working or just there is no control connection between the two locomotives.

Btw. this is a fairly common way to transfer locomotives between depots in europe as it needs no extra crew and time slot.

Ok, is it that simple. Because a EF210-300 is a banking locomotive, I thought about lower gearing (or something typical for banking locomotives) that allowed the EF210-300 to pull the train when a normal EF210 would not be able to do so. So in these cases the EF210-300 is not in function as banking locomotive.

Edited by hans-diesel