Sayonara Twilight Express and Keikyu 1000

NXCALE

I've got the Limited Edition Twilight Express.  The consist is different to the previous releases, so there won't be any doubling up if you already had a Kato one like I did.

Usual problem of what I don't like about Tomix rolling stock: bogie mounted couplers that require snapping off the coupler mounting arm if you want body mounted close coupling.

Otherwise, nice set, if a little overkill.

Get it much cheaper from David @ Loco1Hobby: http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/passenger-cars/1058-tomix-98947.html?search_query=twilight&results=9

The Keikyū 1000 is a thing... Which one do you mean, the old 1000 or the new 1000 (commonly known as the N1000)? If it's the old 1000, you have the choice between Tomytec, Greenmax and MicroAce. The N1000 is Greenmax only and there is a huge variety available there as pre-painted kits and ready-to-run models in all colour variations.

---

For the old 1000 by Tomytec, you have to get additional wheelsets and a power unit. The power unit can be either a standard Tomytec one with the motor visible, but recently Greenmax released retooled power units that have the motor are below the window line, so that puts the finished model on par with ready-to-run models in appearance. The model will have no lights and will require some skill to get this to work. These models however come in a very high variety of releases and formations, so you can practically get any formation in any time setting you like;

Greenmax has only released the 1000 as a painted kit, so it requires a bit more skill to put together, but has front and rear lights included: http://greenmax.co.jp/Product/GM1082tcm_keikyu1000_old.htm The motor unit is still the old one, so that might also be a point to look out for. These kits are however very easy to assemble;

The only one to have a ready-to-run model is MicroAce, but is still of the old tooling, which means rather mediocre running qualities and not so good detail. This is however the best choice if you don't want to do any building yourself.

---

Kato only has the Keikyū 2100 series in its program so far, so there is no choice there. I expect Kato to announce an N1000 or 600 in the not too distant future, despite Greenmax already heavily dominating the market here.

I've got the Limited Edition Twilight Express.  The consist is different to the previous releases, so there won't be any doubling up if you already had a Kato one like I did.

Usual problem of what I don't like about Tomix rolling stock: bogie mounted couplers that require snapping off the coupler mounting arm if you want body mounted close coupling.

Otherwise, nice set, if a little overkill.

Get it much cheaper from David @ Loco1Hobby: http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/passenger-cars/1058-tomix-98947.html?search_query=twilight&results=9

Thanks for the info.

The Keikyū 1000 is a thing... Which one do you mean, the old 1000 or the new 1000 (commonly known as the N1000)? If it's the old 1000, you have the choice between Tomytec, Greenmax and MicroAce. The N1000 is Greenmax only and there is a huge variety available there as pre-painted kits and ready-to-run models in all colour variations.

---

For the old 1000 by Tomytec, you have to get additional wheelsets and a power unit. The power unit can be either a standard Tomytec one with the motor visible, but recently Greenmax released retooled power units that have the motor are below the window line, so that puts the finished model on par with ready-to-run models in appearance. The model will have no lights and will require some skill to get this to work. These models however come in a very high variety of releases and formations, so you can practically get any formation in any time setting you like;

Greenmax has only released the 1000 as a painted kit, so it requires a bit more skill to put together, but has front and rear lights included: http://greenmax.co.jp/Product/GM1082tcm_keikyu1000_old.htm The motor unit is still the old one, so that might also be a point to look out for. These kits are however very easy to assemble;

The only one to have a ready-to-run model is MicroAce, but is still of the old tooling, which means rather mediocre running qualities and not so good detail. This is however the best choice if you don't want to do any building yourself.

---

Kato only has the Keikyū 2100 series in its program so far, so there is no choice there. I expect Kato to announce an N1000 or 600 in the not too distant future, despite Greenmax already heavily dominating the market here.

I would like to get a N1000 or 2100 (either one) whose prototype has the GTO-VVVF system (btw, does the N1000 still have this propulsion system?).

Another thing would be getting a ready-to-run model if possible. However, if the an unassembled one runs way better that the ready to go, I would prefer to invest some time to put it together.

It was good to ask as there is some variety to choose from, thanks for the info.

So the twilight express ... I get the diesel engines (so it can operate on sections w/out catenary ... but why the 1 red electric engine?

but why the 1 red electric engine?

Seikan tunnel hauling traction between Aomori and Goryōkaku (Hakodate).

I would like to get a N1000 or 2100 (either one) whose prototype has the GTO-VVVF system (btw, does the N1000 still have this propulsion system?).

Another thing would be getting a ready-to-run model if possible. However, if the an unassembled one runs way better that the ready to go, I would prefer to invest some time to put it together.

The N1000 is available from Greenmax as a kit and as a ready to run model. Some N1000 still have the Siemens GTO-VVVF inverter system, but are slowly being replaced by IGBT-VVVF systems IIRC. The following formations should still have the GTO system: 1001F, 1009F, 1017F, 1025F and 1033F (all 8-cars) & 1401, 1409 and 1413 (all 4-cars). The 2100's have all had their GTO systems replaced with Tōyō IGBT systems.

As for the 2100, I'd suggest going for the Kato model because of the superior quality over Greenmax, but I'm not sure what system the underbody equipment is with Kato though.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 1

The N1000 is available from Greenmax as a kit and as a ready to run model. Some N1000 still have the Siemens GTO-VVVF inverter system, but are slowly being replaced by IGBT-VVVF systems IIRC. The following formations should still have the GTO system: 1001F, 1009F, 1017F, 1025F and 1033F (all 8-cars) & 1401, 1409 and 1413 (all 4-cars). The 2100's have all had their GTO systems replaced with Tōyō IGBT systems.

As for the 2100, I'd suggest going for the Kato model because of the superior quality over Greenmax, but I'm not sure what system the underbody equipment is with Kato though.

I would probably go for the 2100 of kato and just pretend that still has the GTO system...

I would need to think about it.

Plenty of good information, thank you.

• Like 1