Kato 10-1247 noisy run at speed

Khaul

GiantRoboJustin

Well I took a look at it today and found no space in the motor mount in which to fit a shim. However, I did find that the body wasn't clipping on to the frame quite all the way on one side. It was only off by a fraction of a millimeter, but once I got it to fit, the noise was all gone. I haven't let my guard down just yet though. Things I fix sometimes have a way of pretending to be fixed until they find the perfect moment to reveal the problem to still be there. But I've run it around a few laps both directions, and all seems to be well.

Edited by GiantRoboJustin
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting discussion.. I see that first video posted, and that seems almost silent to what my EH500 (used) or any of the 3 (new from different mfrs) DE10/11's that I just received sound like... I'd say the sound I hear is closer to what GiantRoboJustin posted on almost all of them- is this issue inherent to pretty much all motors, or is my case different as DE10's are loud, and the EH500 with its flexible drive shaft is just going to be loud? Sorry for derailing the topic somewhat, but I see videos all the time that seem worlds quieter than what I'm seeing in person, but I don't know anyone else in person yet to compare with.

I should add that the noise doesn't bother me particularly, and is much quieter at the low speeds I'll be (mostly) shunting at, but I'm also wary of treating my engines poorly or missing a problem before it gets worse.

Edited by defor

Even better than stuffing paper in the motor mount is to cut a piece from a rubber band. Sorry for the out of focus photo at the bottom.

large.IMG_1399.JPG.fca9aad3bb27013f6f2ff6ef871f0fe9.JPGlarge.IMG_1398.JPG.85af6d8f95926b88063765927279237e.JPG

I think this a really effective short-term solution, but I find rubber bands dry out, harden and crack.  Is there any other material that won't degrade but work in a similar fashion?

GiantRoboJustin

My thoughts as well, though maybe there are some higher quality rubber bands out there. Or perhaps a drive belt for a CD drive or other small electric motor applications that are more purpose built for long term durability...

Speaking of DE10's, I have three (well, more like two and a half since I turned my oldest one into a dummy for reasons I should probably make a new thread for, lol), and I've noticed gear noise from them too. The loudest (but still not too bad) being a new-ish Kato, but I also have a brand new 2018 Tomix one that is making a ticking noise around turns sometimes because something is causing the gears to bind up in the 3 axle bogie. Not enough to make it stop, but enough to get annoying because I sometimes have to poke it to get it going from a stand still, especially when switching direction. I just ordered a new bogie for it though, so hopefully that'll help. Either way I wanted it for swapping out the traction tires. I've noticed Tomix locomotives run much smoother without them, especially over turnouts.

While I agree that rubber is a better short term vibration dampener, most will dry out and crack over time.  Worse, some turn gooey and into a horrible sticky shush that is very hard to clean.  I'd beware using this method with synthetic rubber bands, or at the very least check them regularly to make sure the "rubber" has not begun to degrade.  (also oil may affect and/or react with the material, but I do not have much experience with this on an non-industrial scale :grin).  A strip of medical-grade silicone may work quite well, I'll see if I can find a thin sheet to experiment with.  

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

I have a Kato 101 (10-255, 2006 production lot) acquired cheaply via Yahoo Auctions, beautiful condition, painfully noisy runner. Very buzzy-growly, particularly at low speed, was not at all enjoyable to operate so I put it away pending arrival of round tuits. Round tuits have recently arrived so remembering this thread I took a look at the motor, couldn't find anything obviously wrong or unduly vibrating, so speculatively dabbed a couple of teensy drops of oil on the motor bearings, and hey presto, buzzy-growly noise vanished.

Note this might not be the right solution for every noisy motor, but worth considering if it's an older model which might not have been run much and has no other obvious problems.

• Like 1