Kato 11-702 for Tomix freight cars

Khaul

Hello Everyone,

Some rolling stock just arrived from Japan. I have started to replace the Rapido couplers with knuckle couplers, Kato 11-702. Not much of a problem with the Kato cars. The Tomix ones seem a bit more challenging. In particular, the Rapido couplers in this WAMU380000 have a loop at the back that goes through a pin in the coupler box. The appropriate Tomix couplers for this car are those TNs.

Questions:

-Is there an easy way to fit the 11-702s in the Tomix coupler boxes? Has anyone tried to just cut the pins?

-If the way to go is to purchase the TNs, would those work ok with the Kato 11-702 knuckles?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

• Like 1

To answer my own questions:

-there is an easy, a bit inelegant, way to fit the 11-702 in the Tomix coupler box. First open metallic cover, then cut the pin leaving the flat spring on. Reinstall the cover and put a blob of glue (I am using a slow CA) in the box. Now you can stick in the coupler, first push on one then the other. Rest the coupler on something like a screwdriver so it stays level.

-TN knuckles don't seem compatible with 11-702 and they aren't good for shunting either, apparently.

Updates:

-I had to clean the coupler shanks of excess glue, once it cured. The coupler does not open otherwise.

-the couplers, of course lose any lateral articulation...

-but that's not a big deal. I have just done both some coupling-uncoupling operations and normal speed operation and everything has gone quite well. If anything, some of the Kato two axle cars have more temperamental than the Tomix. One of the bogie cars tends to separate at ridiculous high speeds.

Cheers,

P

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 1