Kato Akatsuki?

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

I just noticed, a bit late perhaps, that Kato has released a set of cars for my favorite Akatsuki sleeper train  I am fortunate enough to have the Tomix "box" set for this with the three locos which I further customized with a third party headmark that makes it look great, so i dont think i need the Kato one, but can somebody answer me this - i don't seem to see the red/white/blue legato seat car as part of the kato offerings. why not?

Thanks!

220px-Oha14-303.JPG

img55720592.jpg

that also said, by some strange coincidence, i have an *extra* legato seat car (i fond one in  pochi for 800 yen once before i got the set - i thought that was an absolute find since it was only available in the full ste at that time - seems somebody had split up a set for the junk bin at pochi and just marked each car 800 including the distinctive legato seat car - so i grabbed it). 

Hello,

The Kato 10-1360/1361 Akatsuki is a 1984-1986 formation according to Hobbysearch.  I'm guessing that the Legato Seat car was added to the Akatsuki sometime in the 1990s.  I couldn't find any JNR era pictures of it.

It's also worth noting that in 1984-86 the Akatsuki was towed by some very interesting locos: the EF58, EF30, and stainless steel EF81-300 (replacing EF30). 

Even if you already own the Tomix "Sayonara" Akatsuki from 2009, the Kato version is different enough to merit consideration.

Guest keio6000

Cheers for that indeed i haven't done my homework on this one as you can see.

So, the "akatsuki" set here is just kato's 14/15 sleeping cars with an akatsuki roll sign, maybe. 

since my fondest memories of akatsuki are of having the legato car to myself (and my girlfriend) for several trips, i think i'll stick with the tomix set.

I've found some bits of information about the car, but not much about the inside arrangement besides being a slightly nicer coach car with no gangway at one end. Does anyone know about any photos showing the inside of these cars? ( オハ14 301-303 )

Guest keio6000

So, this link:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-sazan/item/10002317/

shows what i understand to be a custom modified car modified into the legato seat configuration.  for all its high price, and i may be wrong here, while the vestibule at the end is broadly correct, it is massively incorrect on  the main cabin which had a 1x1x1 / 1x_x_1 configuration.  So much so that i can't imagine anybody paying the $$$ want for this one car.

legato.jpg

Edited by keio6000