Air Brush Thread

inobu

From what I understand, its to keep any over spray contained as well as the fan to suck out the fumes.  With the two of these and the fan exhausting out an open window you can turn any space into a painting space, and not need a dedicated painting area.  I usually used an few large scrap pieces of cardboard to cover the work area and opened all windows when I was airbrushing and forwent purchasing the full booth.  

One thing I would recommend is a spray out pot, it makes cleanup much easier and it was during spray out that I normally has issues with fumes when I was not using a pot. 

10 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

From what I understand, its to keep any over spray contained as well as the fan to suck out the fumes.  With the two of these and the fan exhausting out an open window you can turn any space into a painting space, and not need a dedicated painting area.  I usually used an few large scrap pieces of cardboard to cover the work area and opened all windows when I was airbrushing and forwent purchasing the full booth.  

One thing I would recommend is a spray out pot, it makes cleanup much easier and it was during spray out that I normally has issues with fumes when I was not using a pot. 

Thanks. Yes, I have a pot. 

Probably my best solution would be to connect the back of the booth/cardboard box to the dryer outlet. There's no other outlet in the room. This may be the first time I've been glad that my "workroom" is also the washroom.

pnZMaxO.jpg

Does that window open?  It might be easier to just stick the end of the hose out the cracked open window rather than splice it into the dryer ducting.

6 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Does that window open?  It might be easier to just stick the end of the hose out the cracked open window rather than splice it into the dryer ducting.

The inside window opens. But outside there's a heavy grating. Behind that there's a storm window that's semi-permanently shut. It can be opened, but not easily. Using the drier tube would actually be much simpler.

The dryer duct is 4 inches. It would fit directly onto something like this fan. I could embed it into the back of the cardboard box and place a filter screen in front of it. I could then put the whole assembly on a fold-out table to create a seated-level work space.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-6-Inch-Booster-Fan-Exhaust-Blower-Extractor-for-Ducting-Vent-Cooling-Bath/142814928279?hash=item21406edd97:m:m4HkjlMKe2xG-yXgmSN5QnQ

It would be better if this had variable speed.

Edited by gavino200

Ive done this a few different ways over the years. Mainly cardboard box with a small box an mounted in the back and a cheap furnace filter across the back like 2” out. I’d keep the flaps on the box to help overspray as well. Usually end up getting bashed hanging around the garage. A few months back one of those nifty little ones was on amazon for $60 some odd on special and I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket and I grabbed it. It’s very easy to setup and has nice lights and draws well. I got it mainly to work inside the house in the laundry room. I bought a quick disconnect for the dryer hose and another connector for the booth hose so I can swap out the two on the vent in the room.

https://smile.amazon.com/F2C-Airbrush-Extractory-Portable-Powerful/dp/B01N7KS6WD/ref=sr_1_9?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1528522332&sr=1-9&keywords=Airbrush+booth

ive only sprayed a couple things quickly in i but it works well and folds up nicely. Looking forward to using it more.

jeff

8 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Ive done this a few different ways over the years. Mainly cardboard box with a small box an mounted in the back and a cheap furnace filter across the back like 2” out. I’d keep the flaps on the box to help overspray as well. Usually end up getting bashed hanging around the garage. A few months back one of those nifty little ones was on amazon for $60 some odd on special and I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket and I grabbed it. It’s very easy to setup and has nice lights and draws well. I got it mainly to work inside the house in the laundry room. I bought a quick disconnect for the dryer hose and another connector for the booth hose so I can swap out the two on the vent in the room.

https://smile.amazon.com/F2C-Airbrush-Extractory-Portable-Powerful/dp/B01N7KS6WD/ref=sr_1_9?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1528522332&sr=1-9&keywords=Airbrush+booth

ive only sprayed a couple things quickly in i but it works well and folds up nicely. Looking forward to using it more.

jeff

Thanks Jeff. I might buy something fancy like that when I've built up some skill and feel I deserve it. For now it's the cardboard box, a fan, a filter, and the dryer vent. I also, bought a lazy susan bearing to make a little turntable out of. 

Regarding the compressor connections, are those the right fittings that I posted?

Yep you can use inline fans like this. One issue with 4” dryer ducting is nothing exactly matches anything else! When I added my disconnect into the laundry room vent and at the same time replaced the old dinged up dryer hose and connections I discovered every part did not fit perfectly and looking at part reviews and trying two different disconnect connectors this was an alla round problem. Need to use hose clamps and sealing tape like good quality duct tape to get everything tight fitting and sealed.

a times now if there is something off the shelf that looks to be decent price and quality I give in to save time as that’s hard to buy...

jeff

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Yep you can use inline fans like this. One issue with 4” dryer ducting is nothing exactly matches anything else! When I added my disconnect into the laundry room vent and at the same time replaced the old dinged up dryer hose and connections I discovered every part did not fit perfectly and looking at part reviews and trying two different disconnect connectors this was an alla round problem. Need to use hose clamps and sealing tape like good quality duct tape to get everything tight fitting and sealed.

a times now if there is something off the shelf that looks to be decent price and quality I give in to save time as that’s hard to buy...

jeff

Yes, I'd agree with that. I'd also bet that the price of my, fan, ducting, filter, and bearing, add up to the same amount of money. Only the cardboard box is cheap/free.

The other thing is that I like is that with the cardboard box you can make the work space as large as you want. I have no way to predict how much space I'll need, but in general I prefer more space. Larger pre-made booths cost a small fortune. The cardboard box method looks quite fast to put together. 

Edited by gavino200

Yeah my do it your self were always out of parts laying around like a desk box fan, cheap furnace filter. But if you want to do it nice it can add up fast. As I’ve gotten older I guess I now rather spend my time using a tool a lot of the time than making them. I’ve done that gobs and gobs inthe past and saved gobs of money and many times made things that you just could not buy or adapted to exactly my use (like a miter self for the table saw that could cut the 6 sided polygons on our clubs corner modules perfectly at like 1m x 0.5m).

This guy is only for little things for me like buildings and such. While it will exhaust most all the smell of lacquer paint fumes, I don’t use those in the house as it’s so hard to get it all and a little can really linger in the house. Also the painted bits off gas quite a bit for a day or two. Acrylic is fine innthe house just a bit smellier when airbrushing due to the airflow so the venting helps that and keeps dust from settling on things as it’s sucked away before it can land.

For larger stuff it gets tough to vent well and mainly just want to limit overspray. For medium stuff these are handy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1YI09O/ref=asc_df_B01I1YI09O5504842/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01I1YI09O&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193184886406&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17920292213977544257&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007770&hvtargid=pla-308112380059

Or bigger

https://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-Shelter-C900038-Portable-Painting/dp/B011L3DVVO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1528563716&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Paint+booth&psc=1

i have something similar I got a number of years ago for like $10 on a cheap ebay auction. The above type booths were a bit more expensive then and this worked for the few times A year I needed to spray something medium sized in the garage and did not want to bother taping up the plastic from the rafters. It’s a spray tanning booth to use at the beach. I guess it looks best when just applied (I guess I just failed my photo modeling interview). It’s a bit bulky when up, but was cheap and sets up in a minute and 5 minutes to remeber how to twist and fold it back down into a 2’ x 2” disk (I found a good diagram finally for it and it’s now residing in there so it’s more like 2 minutes to fold it up). They are now more expensive than the little foldup guys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pop-Up-Airbrush-Sunless-Spray-Oxford-Tanning-Tent-Booth-Air-Vent-Black-w-Bag/372325135513?hash=item56b04eb499:g:F~wAAOSwdhlbDGqc

When I use to spray varnish on furniture it was just tape 3mil plastic to the garage door frame and wall off one bay of the garage. Limited the overspray and dust.

jeff

• Like 1

All set up and ready to go, as soon as I build a booth and buy some paint. I need to think up some easy painting projects to practice on. 

BTW, to connect a shop compressor to an airbrush, 3 things are needed. 

1. A "quick connect" to 1/4 inch thread adapter 

2. A 1/4 inch thread male-to-male connecter

3. A moisture trap

Home Depot has all three, both in-store and online.

I'm also going to look for a long 1/4 inch bar connector so I can get the moisture trap away from the compressor. I saw that on a YouTube video.

GiPjd8N.jpg

Cardboard box painting booth completed. Seems pretty functional. If this works for me, I'll probably remake it out of something tougher. My cat likes to sit on it, which makes it sag. I don't think it'll stand up to too much of that treatment. 

Now to play 🙂

VlrYQlq.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

Nice work Gavino!  A friend and I are currently building a paint booth as well, loosely based off of this plan.  I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

That looks great. Be sure to post your progress. In a few months I'll probably know what I'm looking for in a design. This looks like a great guide. Thanks.

Switching the dryer vent with the painting booth vent at ceiling level was more of a hassle than expected. So I rigged up this little quick release/reattach setup. This is much better!

Z3Ey5b3.jpg

y2dsHYf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good job. basically the same thing i did in our laundry room. put a new pipe onto the dryer at the same time as the old one was almost toast...

jeff

• Like 1
On 8/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, gavino200 said:

Switching the dryer vent with the painting booth vent at ceiling level was more of a hassle than expected. So I rigged up this little quick release/reattach setup. This is much better!

That's brilliant!  And now you won't have to worry about lint blowing out your paintbooth every time you do laundry.  

• Haha 1

We should probably make this thread a sticky since airbrushing is so vital to train modelling. And maybe remove "2016" from the title. I'm sure inobu would agree.

Edited by gavino200

I'm finally scrapping this as I'm beginning to pack for an upcoming move. But it's served be very well, and I've had a lot of fun with this thing. Hopefully in my new abode, I can build something a bit fancier. Maybe freestanding or on it's own table so it doesn't take up real estate on my work bench like this one did. 

Anyone had any luck trying other designs? 

OgnfOOX.jpg

• Like 2
gavino200

Time to make a new spray booth. The first thing to consider will be how to vent it. In my last house I used the dryer vent and a quick release hose connection. In this house the dryer is upstairs in a washroom. 

I'll have to find a way to make a little round window in this small window (below) So I can attach extraction hosing to it and still be able to seal it shut when I'm finished. 

The I haven't investigated what the right angled duct between the ceiling and the wall is. But it's probably pipes or electrical. The house doesn't have central A/C. 

w9qWfv2.jpg

37Bx4P7.jpg

oP5RvEH.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see how you progress!  I think that pipe in the last pic may be a drain, it looks like 2 or 3" PVC.

• Thanks 1

Gavin,

are you going to use organic solvent paints? If not no great need to vent.

if the window can be pullled off you can see about having one made that has a hole cut in it. They may be able to cut one in this one in the shop and reseal and add gas for double pane.

other option if window opens far enough is to make a plywood or even cardboard frame around the open edges of the window and put thick insulation tape on the frame to seal against the wall and window edges then put a fitting to attach your exhaust hose to the bottom edge. Just open windows and pop it on when you need it.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1