CIWL - Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits

VJM

Found this on the 'tube... shows the OE pulled by two EF64. This is not mentioned on the website I linked above (as far as I can read it)... anyone an idea where and when it is?

On 5/5/2017 at 11:55 PM, medusa said:

Found this on the 'tube... shows the OE pulled by two EF64. This is not mentioned on the website I linked above (as far as I can read it)... anyone an idea where and when it is?

That video was probably taken around this area: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zozo,+Myoko,+Niigata+Prefecture+949-2103,+Japan/@36.8366451,138.3329223,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x5ff63d62ffd6caaf:0xa0b7d2a4eb8c0791

Also, I found this cheesy... i mean, interesting video of the Orient Express in Japan complete with 80's soundtrack, which also shows how they transported it here in the first few minutes, and the train running in Japan, what the atmosphere was like inside, etc.

• Like 5

I picked up a little set of OE cars today. They're very dirty but otherwise in good condition. The brand is Lima, which has got a bad rep, but my very first electric train as a kid was a Lima so it brings back some memories. I think it was worth fourty bucks. 

I wouldn't have known what they were if I didn't read this thread a few days ago. I would have thought they were a hodge-podge of different liveries. 

This'll be perfect for my little steamies to pull.

f37mC3r.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 2

Gavino gave me inspiration for a scenery on a winter day, not far from Seikan tunnel exit...

Of course, the Bear had to take over after some time. ;)

winter_hokkaido1.png.184087dd66fbf1b8569cf2dab058f8ae.pngwinter_hokkaido2.png.dc5ef931dfb4882c0e0922026568f7ad.png

As for the couplers, I made "adaptor cars" like the JNR had for the prototype OE in '88. One is a Mani 50, the other one a Kani 24 generator car (not prototypical). Each of the both has one end with knuckle and the other end with an Arnold. This way all of my JR locos can pull the OE (I convert all JR rolling stock to knuckles).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A stunning set of coaches from Hobbytrain...

l70.jpg

Hobbytrain H22100 + H22101 Ostende-Wien-Express der CIWL, Epoch I

Fleischmann 716006 Steam Locomotive P8 2493 Stettin (KPEV)

The coaches really are fantastic, with excellent detail, although they are pricey.  They have pre-installed lighting, which doesn't make the price so bad.

On the other hand, the locomotive is an expensive disappointment.  Detail is only moderately low level and the engineering is clearly last-century.  The lights weren't working when I bought it, but the tiny old-style filament bulb lit up when the loco body was off.  Ended up replacing it with an LED. 

Edited by VJM
  • Like 3

Kato Orient Express, apparently at the Kato Hobby Center. The video has a recent upload date but I think it might be the previous 15 car release. For unclear reasons it's being pulled by German locos (Except for an EF-65). It looks very nice. I can't wait for my OE to arrive next month.

Edited by gavino200

Folks,

A comment in one of the posts said that CIWL cars ran in the UK.

Not so. 

The European CIWL cars were to the European loading gauge, too big for the UK railways.

What did run there was the Southern Railways 'Golden Arrow' which had British Pullman Coy. cars, not CIWL.

These cars were sitting and dining cars, no sleepers, and were in an umber (brown) and cream livery, a bit like the early CIWL livery.

Connection was made by cross-channel ferry with the SNCF 'Fleche de Or' to Paris. 

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Folks, 

In re my previous post on CIWL cars in the UK, I was wrong to say that they never ran there.

I'd  completely forgotten the Night Ferry service, which ran from Victoria station in London all the way to Paris, using train ferries across the Channel, with cars to the British loading gauge, and appropriate braking systems, auto air and vacuum.

Dumbo, Dumbo!!.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.