Tsurumi line

Khaul

Hello Everyone,

I have found this forum through the magnificent Sumida crossing website. This is my first post. I am working on the design of a kitchen table (1m x 1.58m) layout. The table is, well, a real kitchen table so the layout must be temporary. So I have decided to go with Kato Unitrack. Now, I would like somehow realistic passenger and freight Japanese operations. I have found out, also in Sumida crossing, about the Tsurumi line. I am taking inspiration from the branch finishing at Umi-Shibaura. This is a single track end of the line for EMU service in an industrial area, but not only that. There is also a loop branching off the main line. The loop connects several sidings in and around a Toshiba factory. The Tsurumi has nowadays some freight traffic of at least coal hoppers and petroleum tanker. There was a lot more variety in the past, before JNR eliminated classification yards in the 1980s. 

So, the time is early 80's. My plan is to run an old EMU, a yellow 3 car 101 or maybe something even more vintage going back and forth from the station to the "rest of the world" in the back side of the loop hidden by some industrial buildings. The relatively long run around track allows for serious freight that needs to be marshaled into the sidings, that also include an Inglenook design. Trains can also happily round around the loop.

Single track table top

Table Top 3D

Potential problems:

-I am not sure if the Kato knuckle couplers are suitable for switching, are they easy to open with a skewer pick?

-I cannot find much about Japanese industrial buildings. I like the ready made Dio Town structures because they are so easy to store.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

K

Welcome Khaul -

Umi-Shibaura is an area which also greatly interested me when I first looked at Japanese railways.  As I recall I had asked about tram lines that also had freight operations.

There are vestiges of large-scale freight operations nearby, particularly in the adjacent Anzencho area.  There is also some interesting trackage on the opposite side of the "island".

gallery_941_192_90260.jpg

I think your best bet for representing the buildings here are from Greenmax.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10174998

There are several variations on this basic structure, including a couple representing industries - with typical industrial details.  It is quite inexpensive for its size, and the modular design allows for easy kitbashing.  I think combining maybe 4-6 of them would give you a very good representation of Umi-Shibaura, along with added details.

You mention the Sumida site, but you might also be interested in this earlier thread:

http://tinyurl.com/h9w3t89

ps: imho the 4 parallel rails on the picture above are for a portal crane as they are not connected to anywhere and the gauge is different. The actual train tracks seem to form a simple Z.

Welcome Khaul, from another Sydneysider. What I'd be interested to find out is your baseboard design, and where you are going to store it when the kitchen table is actually being used as a kitchen table. I have my beady little eyes on the dining table...

I plan to go fully Japanese style. So I'll have no baseboard at all. I put the whole thing together in 20' and back to storage by dinner time. Note that the layout can be operated with just one power pack, throwing the points manually. Or use two power packs, one for switching the Inglenook while the other controls an EMU either going back and forth or doing roundy-rounds.

The big catch is the buildings. Kato makes the Dio Town series. The ones sold already made would be easy to store and would fit on the Dio Town road sections, but (sigh) they don't do industrial buildings. I'll find a solution to that. Something like a removable scenic separation combined with smaller buildings or so.

Ah, those little terrace houses in Sydney...

Edited by Khaul

ps: imho the 4 parallel rails on the picture above are for a portal crane as they are not connected to anywhere and the gauge is different. The actual train tracks seem to form a simple Z.

For sure.  It's also interesting how the rails narrow at one end of the Z (more serious alternative to a buffer ?), and there is a crossing track coming out of a building.

1980s, thats basically the time i already collected a quite big fleet of the Tsurumi Trains arround that time, the switch between the 72/73 to the 103/101.

I actually planned to make the actual thing but i dont have the time nore the money to do that sadly... so only the rolling stock so far.

From what I can see on the plan you made it seems to gonna make a good impression of what will look like Tsurumi so thats really neat!

Here btw... this is the rolling stock they used arround 1980 (obviously not in this kinda of roster but yeah)

post-3601-0-28728600-1472827073_thumb.jpg

(this is basically 72/73s, 103s, クモハ11-400, クモハ12-50)

Edited by TheNicofabi
  • Like 2

Oh, impressive collection Nico!

I mean, I have to admit that the 101 is the only Train still missing in this Roster to make it THE perfect 1980 Roster... the reason why i chose those trains is to make a feeling of the change when the 72/73s got replaced by the 103s and 101... the 12-50 you should definitly try to get as its a good old classic for the line.

Here is a site describing the construction of an Australian T-Trak module that includes a large industrial structure using the Greenmax kits I suggested earlier.

He's "rotated" them to provide a classic industrial sawtooth profile, but you could also stack the kits sideways using the orientation commonly shown.  You could build a permanent structure with a very large floorspace by replacing the common side walls with interior columns, or simply place multiple kits next to each other since you seem to place a premium on portability.

I think this is an outstanding module in both design and construction - for my tastes among the most visually complex T-Trak modules I've ever seen.

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/anr-workshop

Not related to your plans, but while we're on T-Trak, here's an amazing module with full catenary wiring.

http://s456.photobucket.com/user/mariuszjj/media/Train%20Layout/71820128.jpg.html

• Like 2

Those greenmax kits are fantastic for all sorts of kitbashing like this. High rises and mid sized building as well. Have to be comfortable with a lot of carving, dremeling, and razor sawing though.

Jeff

Here is a site describing the construction of an Australian T-Trak module that includes a large industrial structure using the Greenmax kits I suggested earlier.

He's "rotated" them to provide a classic industrial sawtooth profile, but you could also stack the kits sideways using the orientation commonly shown.  You could build a permanent structure with a very large floorspace by replacing the common side walls with interior columns, or simply place multiple kits next to each other since you seem to place a premium on portability.

I think this is an outstanding module in both design and construction - for my tastes among the most visually complex T-Trak modules I've ever seen.

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/anr-workshop

Not related to your plans, but while we're on T-Trak, here's an amazing module with full catenary wiring.

http://s456.photobucket.com/user/mariuszjj/media/Train%20Layout/71820128.jpg.html

That's gorgeous, thanks a lot. I've looking at T-Track modules for a while, and we are getting some new shelves soon...

I went to the local model train shop on Saturday with the kids. I've got a couple of freight cars and a bit of track. I could not resist, and I had a good excuse as the cars are sold out in Hobby Search. Good news is both kids and wife got very impressed with my purchase.

I had forgotten that the Greenmax factory is similar, but comes with a different roofline than the enginehouse.

A combination of the two types could be used in a large industrial complex.

As Jeff suggests, you could also vary the heights.

Don't know about your tastes, but some of us find kitbashing great fun - and you'll have a unique structure.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10169331

> Good news is both kids and wife got very impressed with my purchase.

I'm not married, but gather it's always good to have your wife on your side  ;-)

The wife is an architect, and the kids like crafts. So kit bashing sounds like a potentially excellent idea. The result must be easy to store in a shelf, in any case.

On a different note, I have been fiddling with the design, added a level crossing, developed the road system... I must keep in mind that the layout needs to be movable in a fairly short notice. One can find impressive results that follow this design philosophy: http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

Single track 1 1

Single track 1 1 3D

I have figured that my design will be a bit squeezed in the dining table. Luckily the table can be extended easily to 205 cm length. So have have redesigned accordingly. 

Changes:

-station is now an island platform, still shortish to keep with Tusrumi line train EMU train lengths.

-access to industries comes from just one place. I think it makes for a somehow less cluttered design.

-there is now a hidden passing/storage loop.

-and a cool storage siding in the visible part.

-the layout can handle a 2m long freight train with plenty of space for spotting strings of freight cars... lots of switching possibilities.

The first shipment will arrive from Japan soon. It includes the long engine house kit. Looking forward to start the kitbashing.

Single track 1 5

1 5 3D

• Like 3

Thanks! I have a 3-car canary yellow 101, a DE10 and a few freight cars coming from Japan. Soon I'll also have enough track to build the outer loop and the big run around track so I can see how it works in the table. 

Edited: I am getting at DE10 not a non-existent DE13. I did considered a DD13.

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 1

Alright, I've got now enough track to build the passing loop and the outer most track. I have been running both trains. Now it is time to order more track and a couple of buildings. I am considering using Tomix track for the freight branch. The idea is the lower ballast height, and lighter (finer) rail will look more adequate for an industrial branch. I could also use right radius points. What to do you guys think?

• Like 1

Some work finally done. I have kitbashed an island platform access through a level crossing. I'll probably redo the steps down from the crossing and get everything painted. I'll add some more detail (barriers, passengers...) later. By the way, the platform holds a three car EMU, just; very much like the prototype.

That's pretty much my first attempt to kitbash. Feeling quite proud :)

IMG 0604

IMG 0602

IMG 0605

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 5

Those videos are a nice inspiration, thanks. I am aiming to represent the early 80s so I can justify having a wide variety of freight cars and cool old electric locos like the EF13 or the ED16 mixed with Getaden railcars and yellow 3-car 101s and 103s.

• Like 1

I am thinking of possible adaptations of my plan to a double track design with a freight run-around and a freight branch with sidings. I am not sure about the hidden stabling track. I would probably need to go, it's too short for freight and the overall length of the whole thing is about 124mm too long anyway. Being a temporary layout I have some flexibility anyway. See below.

Double track 1 1

snapshot double track

• Like 1